Carmichael Throne decision - round or DD, hydralic or regular tripod adjustment?

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger however I want to go with the one that would offer the most support for my lower back. At 50 my lower can't do 3 plus hours shows like it used to, I have sciatica issues along with numbness in left foot due to the long gigs. My past throne has been a Roc n Soc Nitro however I can't take 3 hours on it anymore like I used to which is why I'm looking for something different. Now the Roc n Soc seat was the bicycle style which allowed for movement of the hamstring muscles without being bound up on the seat however by design it wasn't balanced and weight was pushed forward which worked for me at time along with the hydraulic which acted kind of like a schock absorber (which seemed to help, I could play for hours without back pain in the past). I think this added to my problems in the long run.

After doing some research more questions have arose. Should the seat even swivel? I know if I put a Carmichael seat on my Nitro base it will swivel and the bounce like the Roc N soc. Do I want that? or should I just but a regular tripod base with the stand and adjust it so it doesen't move? I don't know if the nitro bounce would negatively affect anything. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't sit low, I sit a little above parallel in order to conserve energy and not to have to lift my leg more than I would have to.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi-
I went with the Ahead Spinal G throne instead. The Carmichael is a great throne, but for me, and my anatomical build, this was a better fit. The Ahead has a narrower gap and the material has a little more “give” to it. I also went with the bicycle style, I cycle anyway so I am used to it lol!
I am 55, so I get the seat time concerns. I still have a Tama first chair bicycle style which is still comfortable, but the spinal seats make a huge difference.
Seat height also makes a huge difference as well. There are several articles by physicians, exercise kinesiologists, and trainers discussing pros and cons of “low, parallel, and elevated.” Bottom line, whatever works for “you”. I sit parallel.
I usually have the seat sort of snug to the tripod so it moves with me if need be. Solid tripod base. The hydraulic and spring seat bases did not feel comfortable to me, but that is just me.

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi-
I went with the Ahead Spinal G throne instead. The Carmichael is a great throne, but for me, and my anatomical build, this was a better fit. The Ahead has a narrower gap and the material has a little more “give” to it. I also went with the bicycle style, I cycle anyway so I am used to it lol!
I am 55, so I get the seat time concerns. I still have a Tama first chair bicycle style which is still comfortable, but the spinal seats make a huge difference.
Seat height also makes a huge difference as well. There are several articles by physicians, exercise kinesiologists, and trainers discussing pros and cons of “low, parallel, and elevated.” Bottom line, whatever works for “you”. I sit parallel.
I usually have the seat sort of snug to the tripod so it moves with me if need be. Solid tripod base. The hydraulic and spring seat bases did not feel comfortable to me, but that is just me.
Thank you for replying