Carmine Appice returns to Sabian!

Kendrum

Reaction score
A little memorial day weekend banter. Enjoy folks.

Per his FB page.

"Back with Sabian cymbals here is my new prototype set up for the tonight and tomorrow . Playing with Vanilla Fudge at Beatles Abby Rd Festival outside Louisville KY. Also playing great drums new DDRUM MAX kit with maple finish. Sounds great as do the cymbals. Just did sound check !! "

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know he is a talented drummer but what I most admire about him is his savvy marketing skills. He has been maximizing opportunity since the 60s.

ellaguru

Reaction score
Highly disappointed. I was under the impression that todays major announcement was for the 'Just For Men' endorsement. I think Jeff Beck got him signed up with them.

KRG

Reaction score
I kinda wonder why? I thought he was happy with the Istanbul's..? He's using prototypes..I wonder if he'll end up going back to any of the old Sabian models he used to use.
And..Does that mean Vinny will be coming back to Sabian, as well?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
couple New Yorkers from the cbgb days

Istanbul support likely cannot compete w/ Sabian
(unless you like live in Turkey or nearby..) Think that is all that's To it

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sabian took over Crescent (previous Bosphorous US Distributor) so cymbals are likely to be pretty similar to Istanbul Mehmets in the end? I don't think there are many Drum and Cymbal companies he hasn't endorsed?

Mick

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
franke said:
This is absolutely fantastic news.
:laughing8:

God bless him... Istanbuls were never a good fit for him. He and Vinny wanted to come back to Zildjian about 10 years ago (they were still with Sabian) and I respectfully declined. They pitched me at the NAMM show and were upset that they weren't included in Sabian's current issue of Newsbeat - it had nothing to do with the cymbals, or product support. I think they went to Istanbul not long after that.

I'm guessing that Istanbul put a limit on product support (i.e. free cymbals) and Carmine decided to walk. I've seen this movie many times. This is the trend with most companies these days, including the big players.

But God bless him I say... that was a lifetime ago. You can bet Vinny will be back with them too. It's a package deal.

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool news! Why the hate for Carmine? He is a living legend in his own way and his books have influenced many a young drummer. It's tough making it as a full time musician so if he mastered the business and marketing end of things long ago that is a win IMHO.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Love him or hate him the guy is a legend...having said that, I'm not sure why any major company would find any value in having his endorsement. He's been around the block so many times, and anyone who knows who he is likely knows that history, that it's pretty obvious that his positive opinion of a product, at worst, can be bought, or, at best, is fleeting.

I could see his endorsement being a positive for a smaller company that would be happy to have any "name" attached to their product but don't see why it would be worth the probable hassle for any of the bigger players (like Sabian, Zildjian, or Paiste). Six months or a year from now you know they'll have to chuck all that expensive Carmine related promo they've produced into the dumpster as he moves on to greener pastures.

Of course every time he jumps ship there is a resulting flurry of advertising (and discussions like this). And there's no such thing as bad publicity, at least for the Carmine brand. I can sure see why he does it, just not sure why any of the major drum and cymbal companies would continue to bite at this point.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
NYFrank said:
I'll say it. Why would anyone care? Really.
I guess Meinl turned him down. They would have been the last stamp in his cymbal company frequent endorser card. One more and he would have endorsed Harpy.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe that some endorsements are as simple as a cymbal brand lending a few cymbals to a drummer to be exchanged for others as needed. It can be pretty inexpensive marketing for companies and may not even mean a monthly check. The benefit to a limited exposure player may simply be maintaining recognition and free brass. A signature series may be a different story.