Carmine vs Tommy

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Last edited:

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've always thought he comes across as arrogant and full of himself... He always leaves me feeling that he thinks he's the greatest rock drummer that ever lived and he would be the first to tell you that!

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've always thought he comes across as arrogant and full of himself... He always leaves me feeling that he thinks he's the greatest rock drummer that ever lived and he would be the first to tell you that!
I peed next to him once. No attitude when he was doing that. :)

I met a bunch at NAMM. He is a caricature of himself now. The owners & managers of the companies all make fun of him down to his endorsements and his wig.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

"1973 the year of the excessive boogie
frankly no one knew what was next
they just knew something new was coming and everything known at the time was just thrown up against the wall"
------------------Lester Bangs Creem magazine

(what did come ended up being the microchip)

Last edited:

drummerfish

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i've listened to youtube interviews with carmine out of curiosity as i can't say i'm really a fan of his but i like his work on the blue murder album. this isn't the first time he's said something regarding this story.

if you listen to the album there's no question its all tommy. in the interview he says he was asked to fix the drum sound, i never heard him say he played on it. though i find it hard to believe the osbourne's thought tommy was so bad that they needed help with drum sounds. that's the producer's job (and his techs of course)

most people now know tommy left because he was unhappy with his drum parts being buried in the mix (he says mostly the dbl bass was buried) one side says he was fired...the other side says he left. we'll call it difference of opinion.

in all "bark" demos i have its clearly tommy playing. here's one of my videos to hear for yourself:

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That was roughly the time Jake E. Lee had problems being in the Ozzy band. I think he started on this album, co-wrote a lot of Ultimate Sin, and then got the boot from Sharon. Apparently she was very difficult to deal with back then. I've gotten the feeling it was somewhere in between what she saw as protecting Ozzy from strong minded players she was worried would take credit and royalties from him (even if they were deserved), or she was simply large and in charge ruling with an iron fist. Either way, I think she's a pretty intense and ruthless businesswoman.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Carmine's playing with the original Vanilla Fudge — even met him once after a VF gig in 1969. He didn't come across as a dick back then, but he certainly seems to have become one since — just read his autobiography "Stick It".

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That was roughly the time Jake E. Lee had problems being in the Ozzy band. I think he started on this album, co-wrote a lot of Ultimate Sin, and then got the boot from Sharon. Apparently she was very difficult to deal with back then. I've gotten the feeling it was somewhere in between what she saw as protecting Ozzy from strong minded players she was worried would take credit and royalties from him (even if they were deserved), or she was simply large and in charge ruling with an iron fist. Either way, I think she's a pretty intense and ruthless businesswoman.
From what understand she’s just a bitch. :)

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
There was a time that I thought Appice was a blowhard, then some threads came up here and some fellas said; no, listen to this. So I did and he is a real bad ass for sure on the drums.

Didn’t he get called in to do quite a bit of Mason’s drum parts on “A Momentary Lapse of Reason“? That camp could have gotten anybody to play drums and they picked Appice.

Last edited:

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There was a time that I thought Appice was a blowhard, then some threads came up here and some fellas said; no, listen to this. So I did and he is a real bad ass for sure on the drums.

Didn’t he get called in to do quite a bit of Mason’s drum parts on A Momentary Lapse of Reason. That camp could have gotten anybody to play drums and they picked Appice.
As I’m sure Carmine wouldn’t care to admit, a good portion of that record is none other than Jim Keltner... the better portion.
Just to be clear.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
As I’m sure Carmine wouldn’t care to admit, a good portion of that record is none other than Jim Keltner... the better portion.
Just to be clear.
I am aware that Keltner played on that album also but never was able to find a break down of who played on what or if multiple guys guys contributed to the same same song but obviously you do know so please share.

KevinD

Reaction score
Interesting piece, I guess anything is possible. I remember hearing years ago that Sharon had been present at the BATM sessions and (surprise) started taking on an increasingly controlling role. Evidently, she had complaints about Aldridge's playing in the studio.
A couple of years ago Bob Daisley ( who I think pretty much wrote, and coordinated the balance of the material that brought Ozzy back from obscurity after Sabbath) had written something similar in his blog.

So who knows? I never heard that they brought Carmine into the studio though..but given the technology of '82-'83 it would have been tough to "fix" the time on Aldridge's drum tracks. You never know..I can see Sharon orchestrating a lot of impractical things under her rule (like bringing in Mike Bordin in to recut Lee Kerslake's tracks from the 1st two albums -admittedly the time was all over the place on those two... but that was part of what made them great ..to me anyway)

Daisley, in his blog didn't comment very much on Jake E Lee's claim that he was deeply involved in the writing of the album because it was a legal matter (presumably because it involved Daisley as well) but if you read between the lines it seems like Lee had a legit beef, but it also seems Lee was kind of hard to handle and deal with in his own right.

Latest posts