Carole King Tribute

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I am playing in a Carole King tribute over the next four nights. We had two rehearsals and now 4 shows. Hopefully nothing gets cancelled and we have some decent attendance. I don't normally ever play two toms up top as I became a one tom up covert when I was in high school over 30 years ago. I felt that this set would be perfect for this music, two toms and all. They sound fantastic in this theater and I am very happy with the set. I have owned a lot of vintage Ludwig drums and these are some of the best sounding ones I have ever owned/own. The 12" tom really sings and the set overall is so much fun to play. Lets hope nothing gets cancelled between now and Sunday.

1584021722200.png

1584021801991.png

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
One of my all time favorite Ludwig wraps ... if not my favorite.
Just a beautiful kit.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
You may never go back to 1-up after this... ;-)
While I am thoroughly enjoying this set up, I am definitely not really comfortable with the second tom being there. My Gretsch set that I still own and is my first set when I was 12 has the same sizes. I played the set that way until I joined the high school jazz band. It was uncomfortable to swing on the ride (especially when EVERY kid gets a solo) as I felt my arm would fall off. Removing the 13" tom allowed me to put the ride in closer and later on when I started collecting drums, I fell in love with a set that had a rail and the ride off the bass drum. That has been pretty much what I have used for the last 30 plus years. The drummers that Carole used were great and I love what they did. Unfortunately I discovered after the first rehearsal that most of these songs are done up a little more rocking for this show so some of the simplistic musical aspects of the drumming are kind of lost. It's still fun though and I'm looking forward to it.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
I am playing in a Carole King tribute over the next four nights. We had two rehearsals and now 4 shows. Hopefully nothing gets cancelled and we have some decent attendance. I don't normally ever play two toms up top as I became a one tom up covert when I was in high school over 30 years ago. I felt that this set would be perfect for this music, two toms and all. They sound fantastic in this theater and I am very happy with the set. I have owned a lot of vintage Ludwig drums and these are some of the best sounding ones I have ever owned/own. The 12" tom really sings and the set overall is so much fun to play. Lets hope nothing gets cancelled between now and Sunday.

View attachment 430585

View attachment 430587
Is that at the Rex? Very cool room. Saw Nektar there last month. Have a great gig.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I agree with the 1 up philosophy although I played 4 up 1 down for years!

Kurt, I'd play that killer kit and not worry about anything else. Get your ride in a comfy spot and I am sure you can pull off any fill needed - I'd be shocked if drum nerds are going to call you out for missing a fill at a Carole King tribute show....

sptucker

Reaction score
While I am thoroughly enjoying this set up, I am definitely not really comfortable with the second tom being there. My Gretsch set that I still own and is my first set when I was 12 has the same sizes. I played the set that way until I joined the high school jazz band. It was uncomfortable to swing on the ride (especially when EVERY kid gets a solo) as I felt my arm would fall off. Removing the 13" tom allowed me to put the ride in closer and later on when I started collecting drums, I fell in love with a set that had a rail and the ride off the bass drum. That has been pretty much what I have used for the last 30 plus years. The drummers that Carole used were great and I love what they did. Unfortunately I discovered after the first rehearsal that most of these songs are done up a little more rocking for this show so some of the simplistic musical aspects of the drumming are kind of lost. It's still fun though and I'm looking forward to it.
I get it. My first kit was a 2-up 5-piece. I have oscillated on the 1-u/2-up setup for years...but usually seem to wind up playing 2-up. It's a comfort thing, I guess.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Unfortunately I discovered after the first rehearsal that most of these songs are done up a little more rocking for this show so some of the simplistic musical aspects of the drumming are kind of lost.
Even this beginning, intro, verse, soprano solo? to Too Late?

;)

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Is that at the Rex? Very cool room. Saw Nektar there last month. Have a great gig.
It is the Rex! It is a very cool place to play and last night went off pretty well. So far the none of the shows have been cancelled and I'm hoping it stays this way.

Even this beginning, intro, verse, soprano solo? to Too Late?

;)

This one isn't too bad. We don't have a sax player though. It's the piano/vocal, guitar bass, drums, extra keyboards and two back up singers. The slow ones aren't too bad but some of the more up-tempo songs have a harder edge to them than I was expecting. I was using the album songs as a guide and after the first rehearsal, the band director was able to find a video of last years show to send to us. If I had that video from the beginning it just would have made things easier to understand as far as how the band director had put his spin on things. I'm not a great reader but I can read some pretty basic stuff. I have the charts but the band director, who is not a drummer told me that they were just guides anyway and to ad lib. It's all good now as I pretty much have the show down. I made a few small mistakes last night but I think everyone did so I didn't worry too much and nothing was a train wreck from anyone so that's good!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good report from night one, hope the next three are even better! Love the kit, what cymbals and snare are you using for this show? I cant make out the cymbals but the back shot looks like an Imperial lug peeking out there maybe?

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Good report from night one, hope the next three are even better! Love the kit, what cymbals and snare are you using for this show? I cant make out the cymbals but the back shot looks like an Imperial lug peeking out there maybe?
The cymbals are all Paiste Giant Beat reissues. 14" hats, 18" Multi and 20" Multi. The snare is the regular old 5x14 LM 400 that came with the set. I went with a total vintage vibe for this thing.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Loving the whole thing! Enjoy and play great!
Thanks you!

Good for night one! So did you do 1 up or 2???
I went with what you see in that picture. The two toms are great for nice melodic fills. The song Home Again is perfect for doing some musical tom fills. I think it throws me off a little when I do the big endings. I'm so used to quickly going from the top tom to a floor tom. I still can do that if need be but I'm having fun with the added tom and am structuring my fills a little differently. Challenges are always good and I feel blessed and fortunate that I have the opportunity to pick and choose different set up options.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind replies everyone. I got one show in and the rest were canceled. That one show was fun though while it lasted. Hopefully they will do this again at a later date.