Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I apologize if this has been brought up before. But, might be good to bring it up again.

I think I'm developing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my right wrist.

I have a job where I key all day long. This is beginning to affect my drumming.

What do you do for it?

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven't been there but 1) see a dr fast 2) look at the devices that change your hand position. 3) take breaks

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I get the same thing, where my right hand would go numb. I changed sticks and it helped a lot. A stick with more grip too it, allowed me to loosen the hand tension which will relax the carpel tunnel and help out. You can also try playing with gloves. I have not tried it but was told it helps a lot too.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
bigbonzo said:
The last few years has been a real mess for me. I've begun to get arthritis in a few fingers, on top of what might be Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

:help:
I tried Coopergrooves and they did help a lot, but they're expensive sticks. I gave Diamondback Sticks a whirl and they're really, really nice sticks and help with grip to ease the numbness and pain. They also have a coupon code to receive 35% off your order every time you order if you join a particular group on Facebook. Its well worth it because they come to the price of a pair of Vic Firths. I would definitely recommend the DB Sticks.

Chonson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dealing with repetitive strain injuries must, must, must address the repetitive task first and foremost - in your case, keying. Trying to avoid dealing with that only will prolong and heighten the inevitable.

I wentband saw a doctor and got a diagnosis of tendinitis in one arm and cubital tunnel (outer fingers vs carpal which is inner) in the other. I took this diagnosis to work and was able to work out a modified workload for a few weeks while things cooled down. Wore two different wrist braces and and also got some wrist wrests for the amount of typing that was simply unavoidable. I work in tech and typing is a huge chunk of my job - we still managed to figure out a workable plan at a small startup.

I took some anti-inflammatories and I did not touch a pair of sticks for weeks.

REST is huge. I jumped the gun on taking off the braces and set myself back several weeks.

Fast forward probably 2 months: All pain, numbness, tingling were gone. I have not had the slightest bit of discomfort since. I didn't have to change anything about how I play. I still use wrist wrests for typing and mousing because they help.

You really should try to tackle the root issue head on. The relief on the other side is worth it.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you do have carpal tunel, I reccomend getting the very simple outpatient surgery. I first had it on my left hand 12 years ago then my right a few years ago. I was back drumming within 2 weeks of the surgery with no ill effects. Of course everyone is different, but from my personal experience the procedure hepled greatly.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
blikum said:
If you do have carpal tunel, I reccomend getting the very simple outpatient surgery. I first had it on my left hand 12 years ago then my right a few years ago. I was back drumming within 2 weeks of the surgery with no ill effects. Of course everyone is different, but from my personal experience the procedure hepled greatly.
If you want fix the problem, not try to mask it, this is the answer. The actual surgery now takes about 15 minutes per wrist and requires a bandage for 1 week. One more week to get things back to normal and you'll be good to go.
I got both of mine done a few years ago and it's been well worth it. You should only have one wrist done at a time for reasons of "hygiene". :)
There are tests that can be performed to better diagnose it, so, indeed, see a physician.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tried all of the therapy and meds - finally did surgery. Best thing I did. Took about 30 days to be back playing, even thought I was back at work two days after. Felt like my wrist was freed from being sluggish. Mine was very bad - in both hands. Still haven't done the left - need to as it goes numb from time to time.

Jeff

BigMur

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have shared my story before on the forum. This is what helped me when I was scheduled for surgery about 12 years ago. Take vitamin B-100 daily. See a chiropractor and follow his treatment plan. See your family doctor if you feel the urge but in my case I was referred to a surgeon.
I still haven't had surgery and have seldom been back to the chiropractor in that time. I do feel the numbness if I don't take my vitamin B100.

purist

Reaction score
My guitar playing buddy just had carpal tunnel surgery. It got to the point where he was unable to play. It's two months later now and he's back to playing. He said it was one of the best things he ever did.

tris66

Reaction score
I had serious tendonitis at one point in time. I did not end up going the surgery route. Time off and change in diet helped. Listen to BigMur. Vitamins and removing things in your diet that cause inflammation will get you to you want to go quicker even if you have the surgery. Get the sugar and acid forming things out of your diet.

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm an IT guy and developed CTS a few years ago.
Had procedure done to both wrists.
Afterwards, no pain...it was a good decision for me

I know of a couple of bass players that I've played w who had the surgery as well.
No problem for either of them.

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"
Reaction score
I started experiencing signs of carpal tunnel about 3 years ago. At first it was typical fingers falling asleep while I play, and some pain in my right fore arm. I really didn't pay much attention to it, I figured it was just something that would go away with time. As time went on it got worse, a lot worse! About a year ago it got to the point I had to see my Dr. I lost the feeling in my 2 middle fingers of my right hand about half the finger, I could still move them. My Dr put me on Vitamin B 5000mg per day and told me the only way it would go away would be to back off on my playing or possibly quit! I knew quitting was out of the question so I backed off my playing and quit the metal band I was in. I joined a country band and limited my playing, I would only play during band practice once a week for 2 hours. I would wake up in the middle of the night in extreme pain it was now in both hands, I started to worry maybe I was diabetic (I don't know why I thought this I really started to get into my own head and freak myself out). I went and had blood work done luckly everything came out normal. I tried a few different machines that were supposed to help with blood circulation, they worked with small electricity shocks through the muscle. I didn't this for about 4 months but I never really felt like it was helping. At this point I came to the conclusion I would spend the rest of my life with little or no feeling in my 2 muddle fingers of each hand. I started working on my hand technique, I went to a teaching pro and hand him watch me play for about 30 minutes he gave me some feedback about my grip. I started to notice the feeling slowly coming back in my fingers about 6 months ago and today they are almost 100% back to normal. I still have slight problems with my hands falling asleep while I play but I feel im going in the right direction and I can live with the way they are now.... I don't think the changes I did to my grip fixed my issues, I think what helped me the most was learning learning I can get the same tone from my drums with 75% of the effort I use to play with...

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
The biggest culprit in CTS is not whatever you're doing while you're awake - it's sleeping on your side and the positions your wrists end up in to support yourself while you sleep. Wearing the wrist braces while you sleep is 95% as effective as wearing them 24/7, and in one study, virtually all CT sufferers were side sleepers AND virtually all side sleepers had some degree of CTS. It's HIGHLY correlated.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Wear a brace if you must sleep on your side. Front sleeping causes back problems. Back sleeping cause flying elbows from my wife. So I wear the braces whenever I start feeling symptoms.

Latest posts