Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
For anyone looking for a compression wrist wrap, Wrist Grips are great. Made by musicians, for musicians. They're not a cure, of course, but I know guys who swear by them. You can enter code AmyDrums-10 for a 10% discount. I wear them as a preventative measure.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I suffer from carpal tunnel and have had a flair up of it after splitting some wood. I knew I shouldn't have but there is something satisfying to splitting wood!

Anyway, as far as sticks are concerned, do you guys suffering from carpal tunnel or numbness find the thickness, type of wood, nylon vs. wood tip, etc. has an appreciable effect?

What about the tension or type of heads or anything else that can be adjusted as far as equipment is concerned to help with tingling and numbness?

I've backed down on my practice frequency but I really don't want to quit as drumming is what I love to do and I'm not ready to take the surgery plunge.

Thanks

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
So much research, treatment, and whatnot revolves around whatever people think they are doing, but some research suggests side sleeping is a big part of it (perhaps THE primary cause even). In addition to what your wrists do while sleeping on your side, wearing the braces at night only is about 95%as effective as wearing them 24/7.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Get it done sooner then later. Nerve damage doesn’t recover well. I’m in surgery. And have one released. Have seen people have to quit working because they let it go....

cozy4ever

Reaction score
I had cubital in my elbows for nine years and I have to disagree with those who think you should rush off to have surgery on them. Mine healed without it and I am glad they did as the surgery can be risky. I know a bass player who had his done and all it did was leave him with messed up scar tissue that left him in permanent pain and unable to play anymore.

I had to wear special braces for a long time and sleep flat on my back like a ramrod. I had to cut back on playing and sort of do only as much as my arms could take. In the end it did heal up though...even though it took years.

For some crazy reason wearing fingerless gloves when I play helps keep it at bay now...also when it would hurt (and it was bad, felt like my entire lower arms had been mauled off by angry lions) I found that heating pads only made it worse while icepacks helped. You will find all kinds of random things like that along the way.

Also I know it's unproven and it brings out the skeptics every time but I did get some relief from acupuncture added on to the regular visits to the orthopedist.

Also I quit typing for a while there and used a voice to text program instead.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For anyone looking for a compression wrist wrap, Wrist Grips are great. Made by musicians, for musicians. They're not a cure, of course, but I know guys who swear by them. You can enter code AmyDrums-10 for a 10% discount. I wear them as a preventative measure.
Alternatively, buy a generic wrist brace on Amazon for half the price and the same functionality.