Carpal Tunnel

Ian S

Island Time
Reaction score
Interesting. Well I don't know specifically for Carpal Tunnel, but for most elbow / wrist issues, several docs recommend exercises and stretches for the nerve pathways. Some of the exercises are referred to as gliding or flossing the nerve. Basically moving it around on its pathway, because it can get trapped in the musculature and tissue around it.

Check on youtube for some vids by various docs, for example -

10thMtnDivCpl

Reaction score
I played from '95-'07 but have working on a keyboard from '05-now. Over time, it has yielded some pain issues in the wrist but nothing dire.

So, I went ahead (harhar) and bought some Ahead Maxx 5A sticks. I know the brand isn't popular at all and I rememeber getting a pair of their 7A's in the mid 90's that were awful. However, these feel amazing.

Out of all the pairs of sticks I've recently bought, these are the only ones that don't have adverse affects after playing for a while. They're also perfectly balanced and are the diameter they're advertised as. I was shocked how 'off' some of the ProMark sticks I bought were, after using a digital caliper to measure the diameter. Vic Firth were more accurate in that department though.

I saw this compamy on someone's video of a recent drum convention: Physiostorm Drumsticks. You can customize the grip design at various points in the stick but they cost the same as a pair of Ahead's.

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been seeing a hand therapist, it has helped tremendously.

I can't recommend it enough.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
Nerve gliding ???

Doc didn’t say a word about stretches.

Hound , if you want to PM me your first and last name along with your date of birth and telephone number … also your Doctors first and last name along with his/her telephone number ,, I could reach out to the Doctor today or tomorrow and get you all the proper information for your case , and I will then call you personally and explain to you what’s needed for your complete healing and relief.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
How did I miss this thread? I was too busy obsessing over hygiene habits of the famous…

I have heard mixed reviews on the surgery. I was always able to rehab out of the timgles and numbness.

I hope they can get you some relief. Good vibes sent!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hound , if you want to PM me your first and last name along with your date of birth and telephone number … also your Doctors first and last name along with his/her telephone number ,, I could reach out to the Doctor today or tomorrow and get you all the proper information for your case , and I will then call you personally and explain to you what’s needed for your complete healing and relief.
That wouldn’t be weird at all , now would it ??

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Geee! For a guy that has been under pretty heavy fire here, it sure is mighty big of you to retain any sort of altruistic and helpful dispositions. I salute you for it :salute:

A sliver of faith in humanity has been restored.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You don’t find it odd to call my surgeon on my behalf ??
If I have read his loong looong thread correctly, I think M-A is a doctor. So as a doctor AND a drummer maybe he is one of the best persons here to translate medical jargon into terms we laymen can understand and help you determine what the best course of post-op exercises/regimen to get you back behind a kit ASAP.

But hey! It's your call, your infos, your body and I'm just a stranger on a forum. But I wouldn't just brush off that offer.

ogniR rratS

Reaction score
Update : My wrist hurts more than before now …..ugh …
Supposed to get other one done in 3 weeks , might cancel it …
I've had bilateral carpal tunnel release and carpal tunnel revision 14 years later. Aside from the surgical pain I had instant relief from CT symptoms. Seems to me that you should be feeling better.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had it coming and going through out the years. Decided not to due surgery and started practicing more and stretching my wrist and arms before playing. I warm up in a pad for a good 20 minutes before a show so that way I’m nice and warm at the start. Been working since and that was about 7 years ago I started stretching. Now I stretch everything before a show. Also I must add I went from 5b sticks to 7a.

Ian S

Island Time
Reaction score
Playing on a pad I believe is what’s caused what pain I have. I don’t feel any on the kit.

That's a significant point, a repetitive motion situation. Not doing much else during 2021, I hit the pad "a lot" including long periods on one rudiment at a time. I often failed to warm up my hands and wrists properly too, and by winter I had some tendonitis in right arm (still some, but not as bad). The left arm didn't get as upset, I'm guessing because I practiced using both matched and traditional grip, so there was more variation to my left arm's movement.

When you're playing a full kit, there's much more variation of movement, unlike the micro movements in one position like you would make on a practice pad. Also, most practice pads are firm, the stick vibrates much more vigorously than on a drum head, and we might also hit the rubber pad harder so we can hear ourselves better, all of this causing much more strain on hands and wrists. (?)

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubber pads definitely had a a part in my issues , you won’t catch me on a pad again .

Ian S

Island Time
Reaction score
you won’t catch me on a pad again

Yeah not planning on spending very much time on rubber pad again either. Way too much over the last 2+ years. I'll use it sparingly from now on, especially once I get my monthly room and can finally play a kit again. But for now I'm on pillows and my legs.