Carry As Little As Possible

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I sometimes refer to my configuration as a juke joint kit.
Yep!
I've gigged a ton of juke joints using my bikini kits, mostly because I was usually carrying the PA system and lighting rig as well and didn't always have room in my van for extra toms and drum crap. Just the essentials.
Plus, I'm lazy about load-outs at 2am.

RockinShermanTX.jpg

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yep!
I've gigged a ton of juke joints using my bikini kits, mostly because often I was carrying the PA system and lighting rig as well and didn't always have room in my van for extra toms and drum crap. Just the essentials.
Plus, I'm lazy about load-outs at 2am.

View attachment 460979
We appear to have a lot in common. I am usually the poor soul who is stuck with providing the PA. I've switched to a JBL Eon One with a small Yamaha mixer and an Alto TS308 powered floor monitor to keep things compact. Fortunately I can fit everything in my Mitsubishi Outlander :)

richardh253

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I´m down to a bikini kit these days - snare, bass drum, hi hat, two cymbals. I never really used more than a five piece anyway.
My role model is Joey Baron. He brings nothing but his stick bag to a gig and makes do with whatver the venue provides. Unfortunately I usually don´t play venues which provide anything except maybe free beer. :)
wait - you get free beer??

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I don’t know about any else and I am most certain it is age, but I find myself taking less and less gear to gigs. When I first started gigging in my teens, I would bring everything but the kitchen sink

I remember playing a wedding and showing up with six toms and 7 cymbals. I was so into Neil Peart at the time and I thought it was cool. I am sure the band (who was much older) was laughing at me.

Now I bring the minimal amount necessary. I did a brush gig recently with an 18” bass drum, no toms, snare, 16” crash and hi hats.
Is this just me?

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a transport bike or one with a carier up front, you can take a small one.

Im in the process of getting - transport bike for this reason again. We don’t have a car nor driverslicence so the bike, public transport and uber are the only options we have.
I worked on creating a bike able drumset this summer although I never ended up using it. Hopefully next summer! Anyway Id love to see what you come up with or even other examples. If you feel so inclined maybe another thread focused on this topic would be helpful/entertaining? Best wishes.

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it's a 4 piece. Yamaha BOP kit, N&C snare, ride, crash, Hi Hats and light weight Tama hardware. I'm all for as little gear as possible.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I miss my Whitney Nesting Penguin Kit - I was able to get in the door in one trip .
The whole kit nested In one padded bag ( weighy under 30 lbs) , the Quicjframe and all hardware in a PR rilling hardware bag . Cymbals in a backpack style cymbal bag . In the door . Easy peasy and the foot print was very small for these kits . I would love to get another wood hoop version .

Attachments

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I miss my Whitney Nesting Penguin Kit - I was able to get in the door in one trip .
The whole kit nested In one padded bag ( weighy under 30 lbs) , the Quicjframe and all hardware in a PR rilling hardware bag . Cymbals in a backpack style cymbal bag . In the door . Easy peasy and the foot print was very small for these kits . I would love to get another wood hoop version .
I think those Whitney kits are cool. I don’t need one, but I want one.

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
For anyone wondering....
I'm the dork who coined the term "BIKINI KIT"
Right here on this forum 20 years ago.
Yer welcome.

View attachment 460968 View attachment 460969 View attachment 460971 View attachment 460973
View attachment 460978
I refer to my kit as my "mini ha-ha" drum kit. lol
When I was a kid growing up in the 70s in NYC we used to call
chopper bicycles, mopeds, mini bikes, and anything that resembled a 'motorcycle'
as "mini ha-ha" (mini Harleys).

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I try to bring as little as possible. Generally it's a 4-piece with 2 crashes, ride, and hi hats with a cowbell and ching ring + Meinl HH tambourine (gotta have that jangle!). Lately I've been pushing my sound reinforcement game up though, which means more gear. Two or three years ago I got some e604's and a 5 channel mixer. This year I got a Mackie ProFX12 so I can run the Senns, overheads, and vocals all through one board, with FX. It really only adds maybe a minute more of setup time though. I guess I'm carrying as little as possible for me. That extra bit of gear and setup time makes those 3 or 4 hours that much more enjoyable for me and put a better drum mix out front for the audience.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like this long kick drum! Was it a cocktail drum?
I've always been curious to try converting a cocktail drum into
a kick drum for rock music.
It is the conveted Daxdad. 12” in diameter and 22” long.

Invented by Russ Miller and made by Yamaha. The ultimate travel kick.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love it when the best configuration for a given gig is one up and one down. I've done my share of them.

1600670979637.png

1600671074117.png

1600671132041.png

1600671434176.png

The current band that I'm playing in covers a lot of 80s stadium rock bands, two up, two down will cover those songs. One up one down might be a bit sparse.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the early 80's my drum sizes were larger than what I use now. My hardware was all double braced Tama. I had a mixture of 2002s and RUDEs. 6 crashes , two sets of hats, two rides.
I also carried my own mics and mic stands.
Now that I'm an old fart it's smaller drums, light hardware, one ride, 2 crashes and one pair of hats. I'm adding a Roland SPD-SX and cords. That's it.