Carry As Little As Possible

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back when I was in a band I never took my kit along, or I don't ever remember taking it. Since we always did shows with other bands I just used their kit, never had a problem doing that.

In fact, the pics I have of me in the forum down below all show me behind someone elses kit.

Now, had I been (ahem...) playing at a semi or pro level with a semi or pro band that would be the difference maker in my strategy but for what we were doing it worked out just fine.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Didn't mention in my last post but I've even scaled down the size of my stick bag. I like to chose one of three sizes of sticks, so I only carry one pair of each size and one pair of brushes. OH, I did add one pair of sticks that's configured with a standard tip on one end and a felt beater on the other end. But that's it, that's all I need.

sherm

Last edited:

Ncrhythmman

Reaction score
I don’t know about any else and I am most certain it is age, but I find myself taking less and less gear to gigs. When I first started gigging in my teens, I would bring everything but the kitchen sink

I remember playing a wedding and showing up with six toms and 7 cymbals. I was so into Neil Peart at the time and I thought it was cool. I am sure the band (who was much older) was laughing at me.

Now I bring the minimal amount necessary. I did a brush gig recently with an 18” bass drum, no toms, snare, 16” crash and hi hats.
Is this just me?
Last year I got a Gretsch Catalina Club kit w/ 18" kick, 12 rack & 14 FT.... & will alternate snare drums. They have been my Go To LIVE performance kit !
I Get It, 59 years old & still gigging / well trying to since the Covid19...

Tom Holder

Reaction score
I don’t know about any else and I am most certain it is age, but I find myself taking less and less gear to gigs. When I first started gigging in my teens, I would bring everything but the kitchen sink

I remember playing a wedding and showing up with six toms and 7 cymbals. I was so into Neil Peart at the time and I thought it was cool. I am sure the band (who was much older) was laughing at me.

Now I bring the minimal amount necessary. I did a brush gig recently with an 18” bass drum, no toms, snare, 16” crash and hi hats.
Is this just me?
I'm 64 years old now, and I bring as little as I can get away with for that particular job! I love my super compact set-up with 3x13 snare, 8x20 bass, 13" hats and an 18" sizzle ride. That's all I need for a trio gig in a small place. I have a 5-piece "normal size" kit with 3 cymbals that I use when I need the volume and have the space, but I've never needed any more than that. No gongs, tympani, etc. It always makes me chuckle when I see pictures of Ed Cassidy playing with "Spirit" back in the '70's. He used two huge concert bass drums, one on each side of his already-excessive kit, tilted toward him. Sheesh! I wouldn't lug a rig like that around for all the tea in China!!

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is this just me?
Had a 7 pc XPK kit.. suspended toms... pretty much gave it away.. the older I get, the smaller the kit, the lighter the hardware. Even the guitar players are spending more for lighter amps and speakers!!

Robert Albiston

Reaction score
I used to play CBGB using 2Bs and field drum sticks to hammer the band without amplification--if I need to look like that again, I'll just hide my little kit behind a cardboard screen with a photo of Peart's rig out front. As per request, showed last week with just snare, hh, and ride for American songbook type stuff--they loved it, but I'll try to bootleg in a bd next time.

Robert Albiston

Reaction score
Everything in one hand.
View attachment 461289

This lights up the load sooooo much. Add a kit with a killer 18” kick and 14” floor and it makes a perfect gig kit.
View attachment 461290

And the quality and stability Yamaha is known for.
That's absolutely the bomb--and I've heard just that type rig. I use my high school stands from the 60s and can't imagine how stands cranked out by the military industrial percussion complex would improve things...hell, you're exhausted by the time you've set up!

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like playing tom fills, but realistically, I doubt the crowd can tell if I'm playing an 8 or 10" tom.
Therefore, I only use 2 up and 1 down, 10-12-14. I used to do a 16" floor instead of the 14", but found I can tune the 14" low enough, and it's "less drum" to haul around.

BoHuggabee

Reaction score
i've never brought unnecessary gear when i had played music live. if i wasn't going to use it, even for one song, or just one accent or part, i didn't bring it. never liked drummers that had plenty of cymbals, but lacked the creativity to use them all.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me it was never an issue of carrying too much gear, it was an issue of "if I brought it, I'm going to hit it."
I play better as a result.

rojarosguitar

Reaction score
To have to carry as little as possible I got a Yamaha Rick Marotta Hipgig. Basically everything in two bags including hardware. Only cymbals outside of that... And it sounds as good as anything I would want for my style of playing (unplugged jazz).

Reaction score
I made a kit from old Ludwig and Slingerland single-tension field/tenor drums. It’s got an old Luddy “Pioneer Model” kick, a 13” x 9” tom, a 14” x 10” floor and a 15” x 12” floor, all with wood hoops and calfskin heads. It’s the lightest thing you could imagine. I use the Dunnett mini clamps to secure aluminum legs to the floor tom. My stands are MIJ flat based and I got a Speed King. Carrying single-tension drums is like moving empty cardboard boxes. Plus they are easy to tune whether you want to go extremely low or high or anywhere in between . They are not easy to change heads but you can’t have everything can you?
I would love to get the old maroon Yamaha Hipgig from years ago, that one with the canister throne was sick, had a friend who owned one. The Questlove kit is the best deal around for a new gigging kit, Gibraltar makes a less expensive light hardware pack that kicks ass too.

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The folks I play with don't notice or care what I bring or don't bring. What they notice is how long it takes me to set up and break down. A lot of people don't have any idea what it takes to set up, they just expect it to be like tuning a guitar - a couple of tweaks and you're ready to go.
Guitar and bass players aren't lugging big heavy amps anymore so they can be ready to go very quickly.
So I bring as little as possible and make sure I'm the first one there. Make it seem like there's nothing to it.
Most of the time, a kit is available to play. I've never found one that was totally fun to play on. There's no time to tech neglected gear. Such is life.
The one thing I always bring is a simple lightweight throne. Most thrones I encounter are trashed or unsuitable in some way. If I had to choose between bring a throne or bringing sticks, I'd pick the throne and play with pencils.
I also bring gaff tape and other odds and ends to cover the ill advised port in the reso head of an 18" BD when the others complain that they can't hear the kick.