Carry As Little As Possible

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Timely thread, I just put this kit together yesterday for playing acoustic jazz. I still have to deal with the throne issue. I haul a Roc n Soc with a backrest, the weight equivalent of carrying around the bumper off a ‘58 Ford. So far too comfortable not to.
59380485-6F6D-430C-BA80-6A1223E715BE.jpeg

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
PS: SO sorry about the triple image, apparently I have a visual stutter.
regards
Don

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know about any else and I am most certain it is age, but I find myself taking less and less gear to gigs. When I first started gigging in my teens, I would bring everything but the kitchen sink

I remember playing a wedding and showing up with six toms and 7 cymbals. I was so into Neil Peart at the time and I thought it was cool. I am sure the band (who was much older) was laughing at me.

Now I bring the minimal amount necessary. I did a brush gig recently with an 18” bass drum, no toms, snare, 16” crash and hi hats.
Is this just me?
Was just watching a video I made of a friend at a coffee shop gig from a few years ago.
All he brought was a flat ride, hats and his snare drum.
He used the case for his snare as the bass.
Worked out great.
That's been my favourite setup since I taped that.
...so no, its not you. I think we all get there, eventually.
Welcome.

Elvis

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I too double-braced myself. Since then I’ve single-braced myself and not once have I had a stand fail.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've been playing just a 4pc kit and either hats a crash and 2 rides or the same and 2 crashes instead of two rides.... 4 cymbals all. I actually like the idea of going out with one less cymbal for a "one of each" approach, with just hats a ride and a crash but I always feel like I want to do some kind of alternation with that one extra cymbal. I've seen some of the greatest players though play with just that kind of simple kit. For me there's some kind of magic that happens when you can make such a simple setup work for so many styles, textures and sounds. I also very much like the idea of porting less gear and knowing that wherever I might need to set the thing up that I'm more likely to actually have room for it than if I were to go with a bigger setup.

The more I learn about drumming (and I'm a really SLOW learner!) the more I realize that creating variations on the kit is all about sticking patterns, including the bass foot in fills and varying accents, none of which have anything to do with having lots of toms. When you add to that stuff textural variations like using brushes and mallets, careful attention to dynamics and an awareness of the different effects that you can get by playing the time more straight vs more swinging you have so much to play with that having lots of extra gear to make it interesting hardly seems necessary...

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The duo I am in for the past seven years only required hats, a snare drum and brushes (and sometimes just a snare drum and brushes.) You can pull off a lot with just those:
Dang Mike, Leedy & Ludwig?...Whoa!..... :thumbup:

Elvis

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And Kenny is one of the smartest & creative drummers around. He studied with Gary Chester around the time I did and Gary & I went to see a Modern Drummer Show at Montclair State College where Kenny came on right after Dave Weckl. Of course Dave pulled out all the stops and just left everyone with their mouths open. But Kenny comes on right after Dave and does the most beautiful; thing ever. He brings a freight train groove on stage and then breaks it down for everyone with the his feel. Man he tore it up with simplicity! I will never forget that. Maybe that was '86? Not sure.
'87. I was there. Alan Dawson, too, if we saw the same show.

Dan