Carter McClean left Dunnett/George Way for Ludwig...

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Carter McClean left Dunnett/George Way for Ludwig... And people on social media are losing their minds. Some are all of a sudden acting like Dunnett/George Way are somehow lacking when they were the “best” while Carter was hyping them while others are acting like they need to switch to Ludwig too as if Carter’s move validates Ludwig as the “best.” I always get a chuckle when I see these reactions to drummer’s moves. Why can’t it just be that he now endorses Ludwig, which may have been a dream of his, but still likes Dunnett/George Way? Moving from one company to another doesn’t make the previous one inadequate. Just a thought...

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why can't people just go listen to and play the instruments, find the one that moves them, and not give a damn about what 'Vinnie Testosteronni' is getting down on?

R

RickP

I find this move interesting , but hardly surprising . A larger Company like Ludwig can provide better support worldwide and potentially more Clinic work which all leads up to more dollars in Carter’s pocket . Most Wndorser moves are based on financial advantages over the gear . All the manufacturers can make good drums these days . Support and Clinic opportunities and A&R support are now the deciding factor for Endorsement decisions .

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Pros going from one vendor to the next are usually seeking better support. To them one drum is no better or worse than another.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Endorsement...who gives a damn. I roll my eyes at all this kind of fan boy hype too. "Vinnie's with Gretsch, Vinnie's with Paiste" "Annika switched to Tama...oh damn I have to sell my Mapex now".
They are all just business decisions. Social media should concern about other things like a drummer's music or band, not what he's playing it with.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig is a major company, and likely offered him more money. George Way drums are great, but do not have the market share Ludwig does. I seem to remember that before the Way endorsement that Carter purchased and played a fine vintage Ludwig kit, so clearly he liked the drums. From an endorsement perspective - and saying nothing about the relative quality or sound of either Way or Ludwig drums - this is like being a quarterback for a great division II football team and being recruited to start for a top division I team. Hard to turn down. Shouldn't reflect on George Way drums or on Carter. They both helped each other achieve greater exposure.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I share the belief that this move is all about support and financial gain. I also think CM out grew Dunetts one man operation. How much support can he possibly be capable of, not to mention I hear players complain he never returns calls or messages most of the time.
He,s a small time operation, and he should be happy CM supported him, not the other way around.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I share the belief that this move is all about support and financial gain. I also think CM out grew Dunetts one man operation. How much support can he possibly be capable of, not to mention I hear players complain he never returns calls or messages most of the time.
He,s a small time operation, and he should be happy CM supported him, not the other way around.

Hum...I first hit the like button then decided to reply: So I'm going to say;

WHO! I don't even know who this guy is and to strengthen what others said: When I was a high school kid in the early 60's all I had to go on was catalogs and I thought if Buddy Rich, Gene Kurpa or Louie Bellison played then they had to be the best because their pictures were on the covers. We played Ludwig's in high school but I liked the Slingerland lug design better. LOL My dad helped me buy a snare drum and bass from a friends brother, that had a small music store in north San Antonio then when he came home with it, it was Rogers. I thought, what is that? Well, in '94 I decided to get a new drum set and was pricing Gretsch because they were about to go under and I wanted a nice American made drum set while they were still hanging in there. Then I happened to stop buy the drum shop for drumsticks and there it was; a late 80's big monster Ludwig kit used and looked new for $950.00 (6 piece including a Supra) with cases, stands and hi-hat. How could I pass that up? Then last August I purchased a new CM Ludwig 4 piece kit.

So, do you think it really maters who plays what? I don't; I think most people get what they can depending on what they can afford at the time for the love of playing drums. Again I also feel it's all about money for the big boys and if they can work for or support a company with a product they like best; that's just big plus for them.

Sherm
BTW: I do wish I hadn't sold the Rogers; are they better? I don't think so, it's just that it was my first kit and my dad helped me with it and I believe they were just as good or better as all the other brands.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I agree guys... the CM/GW partnership was most likely the right combo for the right time and the marriage gave them both outstanding exposure. A great drummer on great drums.

But things change and people move on... he is STILL a great drummer and GW are STILL great drums, they are simply apart. It's like a friend getting divorced and you are expected to side with one or the other, when in truth you liked them both.

S

skinsman

Who cares? Maybe the little guy pissed him off......
Is "little guy" pc? Toxically male?
Maybe I should have said "individual of small stature?"

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting exchange down in the comment section... sounds like it's maybe personal? Meh, does not matter to me... I love G Way drums and enjoy mine very much and I still find Carter a true modern beast! I would say all three are winners in my book.

Frozd
3 days ago
While i understand the move from a business and career perspective , i will miss the kits and snares you have been playing before. I know you will be sounding great on Ludwig but i think your previous kits and especially snares gave your sound an unique character.

Carter McLean
2 days ago
Frozd thank you! I think what A LOT Of people miss is that ...... the person playing the instrument BRINGS the character.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really happy for Carter, he's a great guy and very principled on the whole gear endorsement thing.
I'd say it's more about worldwide Artist support,which Ludwig is more capable of, than a small boutique operation like Dunnett / George Way.

Carter's been playing drums for "The Lion King" - Broadway since 2002 and took over the full-time drum chair in 2011 from Tommy Igoe. Looking forward to see what this all brings

Cheers
Mick

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It seems like great players can make a mediocre or even poor kit sound good; a poor player on a great kit still sounds awful; a great player on a great kit can sometimes create magic. Tony Williams could make an MIJ kit with B8 student level cymbals sound good, but the Gretsch and Istanbul K sound combined with his skills take it to another level. Same would be the case for a master violinist playing a starter instrument versus playing a Stradivarius.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
George way drums are so dark and dusky, and Carter’s playing so earthy and oozing with dirty, organic vibe, I have to pay the briefest of respects in lamenting The loss of their combination. A great many of those Carter/Way views on YouTube are mine.

Good luck to both!

Last edited:

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s even personal against Dunnett/GW tho. This is from earlier today. If you read my comment and Carter’s response, it doesn’t seem like he wasn’t getting something from his previous endorsement or that he’s unhappy with the drums. In another comment he says that his Dunnett snares are “going nowhere” in response to a drummer commenting for him to sell his old gear.
C6992E36-6437-4D74-82CC-9912FE046F8A.jpeg

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig is a major company, and likely offered him more money. George Way drums are great, but do not have the market share Ludwig does. I seem to remember that before the Way endorsement that Carter purchased and played a fine vintage Ludwig kit, so clearly he liked the drums. From an endorsement perspective - and saying nothing about the relative quality or sound of either Way or Ludwig drums - this is like being a quarterback for a great division II football team and being recruited to start for a top division I team. Hard to turn down. Shouldn't reflect on George Way drums or on Carter. They both helped each other achieve greater exposure.

I came across Carter via his videos with his vintage Ludwig drums - this was maybe 5 or 6 years ago. In my opinion, those vintage Ludwig drums sounded better than any other kit he played in any of his later videos, and this comes from a Gretsch guy. His George Way drums sounded fine, but to my ears, they never had the character and depth of the vintage Ludwigs.

Maybe he held a soft spot for Ludwig and they could provide more support than George Way. Whatever it is, I wish them the best.