Carter McLean is now an Evans Artist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Exactly.

I remember people getting all worked up when Vinnie switched from Gretsch to Ludwig (or whatever it was). There's drummers and then there are fanboys.
And then there are drum message boards where people go to kill time talking about stuff the find interesting.

The inevitable "why do you care?" responses on these threads are absolutely exhausting. Of all the useless nonsense we discuss on this board, I have no idea why these threads are always draw derision.

Mn02

Reaction score
Who doesn’t like to see or find it interesting what the pros are playing. I love seeing pros make different gear choices. In this case, I think it is interesting to see a guy like Carter, who seems to lean towards more vintage sounds, go with a head company that I associate with more modern sounding heads.
I seem to recall that he would sometime s post on this forum, I clearly missed the drama, which is a bummer (who doesn’t like a little soap).

marc3k

Reaction score
Carter has a great feel and hands but if I’m being honest the new heads are missing a little something.
I wonder if it has to do with his latest choice of microphones - I liked his older stuff from like 1 year ago much better!

kevinyarger

Reaction score
His stick is a real signature stick that he designed and Pro Mark sells just like every other signature stick they sell.
I understand it is a real signature stick, I enjoyed watching his Instagram lives when he was prototyping them and taking us through his thought process, but I couldn’t buy it or find it from Promark‘s website until their recent website make over. I know he’s had and used the stick since March of 2019 but the only way to get it was through him personally right at the beginning when he got his first batch. He posted on April 1st of this year that they were now available(which was funny to read people being worried it was a joke). A look back on his Instagram posts when anytime his sticks were pictured there were people asking when they would be able to get his stick and he would reply with “hopefully soon” and would tag Promark in the comment.
I was unaware of any retail store selling them before this year. Was there somewhere that has had them available for awhile to buy?

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I understand it is a real signature stick, I enjoyed watching his Instagram lives when he was prototyping them and taking us through his thought process, but I couldn’t buy it or find it from Promark‘s website until their recent website make over. I know he’s had and used the stick since March of 2019 but the only way to get it was through him personally right at the beginning when he got his first batch. He posted on April 1st of this year that they were now available(which was funny to read people being worried it was a joke). A look back on his Instagram posts when anytime his sticks were pictured there were people asking when they would be able to get his stick and he would reply with “hopefully soon” and would tag Promark in the comment.
I was unaware of any retail store selling them before this year. Was there somewhere that has had them available for awhile to buy?
Got it. It sounded like you may have been thinking it was a stick that they made for him but wasn’t gonna sell. Like when some of these guys has a stick with their name on it but it’s not official.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And then there are drum message boards where people go to kill time talking about stuff the find interesting.

The inevitable "why do you care?" responses on these threads are absolutely exhausting. Of all the useless nonsense we discuss on this board, I have no idea why these threads are always draw derision.
I fully understand why they care but not to the point of belaboring a reply that has already been explained in detail. It doesn’t seem to be clear that I’m wondering why anyone would care as much as they do about it. It seems over the top.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
What is with all the bitching on this thread stinking up the forum? Art is subjective, if you want definitives then watch sports. If you say you don't care, then just stop replying.

This is a place for enthusiasts to talk about the instrument past, present and future - not for boomers to fight young guys about personal taste questions. Keep this annoying prattle on Twitter.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it's a thread about a science project. That is, everyone dissecting everyone else's post about minutiae in meaning and syntax.
The actual science project at the heart of this thread happened in early March when Carter posted a video about his Remo/Evans drumhead model shootout. No doubt his switch to Evans was the result of what he experienced while making those comparisons. After all, isn't that what each of us does when we try new things?

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Let’s face it, bands are no picnic. But luckily in today’s world you don’t need them at all, and you can still play to thousands of people without even leaving your house. All you need is your gear. Evans heads can be your new companion on this journey, because we understand what today’s drummer needs, which is alone time. You and the mylar. One on one. From across the room you see each other and just know. No words need to be spoken. Pour a bubble bath. Maybe light a candle. Press record. And make beautiful music. Alone together.

Evans heads - because playing alone is not just a choice. It’s your job.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Evans. Because you care more about sound, and durability than hype and looks.

Or.

Evans. Because you don’t care which major (youtube) artist plays your brand.

Or.

Evans. Because you don’t care that care how much money is thrown to drum/backline companies, to have your brand head on their drums.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Side note: I have been following Carter and Mark Guiliana for sometime, yet get both confused with one another:argue:
Really? They wear totally different glasses !!! :lol:

I think of MG as more of a Jazz player who also forays into more mainstream formats occasionally and of CM as the other way around.

Both are fantastic players though.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not at all what it's about. It's about a member, Carter McLean, a Pro, who used to post and engage members' questions here, who no longer does because for some reason he's a target for negativity from posers.
I'd hope he has thicker skin than that.

On YouTube, he's praised like God himself. And he is here as well. Of course there might be one or two or even three negative posts now and then, but by and large, he is looked at as a major force in modern drumming. Heck, even Buddy Rich gets slagged around here, so I think Carter can handle just a wee bit of negativity every now and then. It's all part of being a star.

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd hope he has thicker skin than that.

On YouTube, he's praised like God himself. And he is here as well. Of course there might be one or two or even three negative posts now and then, but by and large, he is looked at as a major force in modern drumming. Heck, even Buddy Rich gets slagged around here, so I think Carter can handle just a wee bit of negativity every now and then. It's all part of being a star.
It’s a not a matter of thick skin or whether he can handle negativity, of which there shouldn’t be any, right? It’s a question of why would he want to? Why would anyone want to. Why engage with a place where that exists?

Forum members don’t slag on other forum members’ abilities or their reasons for choosing one thing over another. In fact, even the most mediocre performances are met with encouragement, as they should be. Even obscene levels of GAS are celebrated and encouraged.

Forum members flounce for a whole lot less than harsh views of their playing and character, which rarely if ever happens. But for some reason that’s acceptable with guys having some measure of success. It’s a culture issue, not a handful of posts issue.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He’s a FANTASTIC player and seems like a good guy. I have his book and followed his rise...but it’s a little cringey how people praise him on Instagram and YouTube. At times it can be over the top. That’s not his fault, just the nature of the beast I suppose. I could see how it could inflate/disorient the ego, but it appears he has a solid grasp on it. Most of the time Carter is trying to teach as opposed to someone posting 10 second clips of something they practiced 40 hours on without zero context just to draw ooohs and aahhs.

This being said, as a public figure you have to accept that someone will always nitpick or have a bias from the start. It’s up to you to decide what criticism has merit and what should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s a FANTASTIC player and seems like a good guy. I have his book and followed his rise...but it’s a little cringey how people praise him on Instagram and YouTube. At times it can be over the top. That’s not his fault, just the nature of the beast I suppose. I could see how it could inflate/disorient the ego, but it appears he has a solid grasp on it. Most of the time Carter is trying to teach as opposed to someone posting 10 second clips of something they practiced 40 hours on without zero context just to draw ooohs and aahhs.
Man, I agree completely.

I guess the question to ask now is, has all that somewhat cringe worthy adulation made him believe that nobody shall think anything negative of him? As I said before, even Buddy Rich gets slagged around here, far more as a matter of fact than Carter.

Vicey

Reaction score
Man, I agree completely.

I guess the question to ask now is, has all that somewhat cringe worthy adulation made him believe that nobody shall think anything negative of him? As I said before, even Buddy Rich gets slagged around here, far more as a matter of fact than Carter.
There is, as far as I know, no such thing as the Carter McLean bus tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.