cast hoop batter side, 2.3mm hoop snare side

BillyCarl

Reaction score
i have a 70s era supra 402 that came with cast hoops, which i replaced with 2.3mm hoops. pulled it out recently after it's been in a bag for more than five years and the steel hoops were all rusted, along with the tension rods. I put the cast hoops back on after cleaning the damn thing up, but now I wonder if anyone can tell me how just putting on a 2.3mm steel hoop on the snare side might affect the sound. Drum sounds great anyway. thanks

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I personally like cast top, triple flange bottom. Have done it in quite a few drums, including my LM402 Supra. You get the crack of the cast hoop, but still some openness of tone of the bottom. On certain drums, especially drier drums like aluminum, die casts top and bottom can choke the sound and make it kinda boxy or pinched sounding.

BillyCarl

Reaction score
Thank you. I read that long ago buy forgot what configuration did what. Gonna give it a try. You use 1.6mm triple-flange hoops or 2.3?

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
2.3 usually, unless for some reason the drum came with 1.6.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have this combination on a Sonor drum and it’s magic. Controlled attack and open tone on the backside.

Can’t bring myself to do it on my other snares, most of which are Ludwigs. Cast hoops on a Ludwig don’t seem right to me.

Illogical, I agee, Captain.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would say if you need to get a new one, get a 1.6mm. It‘s part of the original 60s Supra sound.

nmosko

Reaction score
The Tama Stewart Copeland sig snare comes with this type of hoop configuration. Maybe there’s an article or YouTube video where it’s explained in depth why they did this and what the effects are?

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One benefit is that flanged hoops have a bit more flex, which allows the hoop to follow the contours of the snare bed a bit better.

Latest posts