Catalina Club Problem

little rock

Reaction score
Yesterday, I pulled my Catalina Bop kit out of storage and was going to set them up in place of my 120th Anniversary Gretsch kit for a change. When I pulled the floor tom out of the bag, one of the lugs had broken off at the shell. The part that goes through the shell that the screws fit into broke off the lug. If that wasn't bad enough. when I pulled the 12" tom out of its bag, there was one on it broken off also. I'm very careful when handling my drums so I know it wasn't dropped or hit in any way. Has anyone else who has a Catalina kit had this problem? I called Jeremy at Portsmouth and he is going to order me some tomorrow. I'm getting a few extras just in case.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never had this issue on the Catalinas I had from early 2000s. My guess is they were over tightened when originally assembled causing a small fissure just waiting to become a full blown crack over time. Probably not an inherent design flaw. But good call to grab a few extra!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
My Catalina's the DPO broke over half of them on the bass drum. They're brittle but also I think they come with a screw long enough to bottom out if you over torque it

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen threads here on DFO of Catalina owners complaining about various build quality issues.

From what I gathered, it seems they spent the money on good looks, because they do look very nice, and went cheap on the hardware. You can't have it all at those price points.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
new(er) to CC than you others, but quite (surprisingly) pleased with the overall build quality, appearance and sound out of this price point kit, great bang for the buck IMO...no issues thus far, but will be on the lookout for the above mentioned issues....

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I think the lug reputation is a design flaw. Just never ever ever use a powered screwdriver even with a torque clutch and you should be ok