CB-700 Taiwan Concert Tom Kit Questions

veedonfleece

Reaction score
20210730_115219.jpg 20210801_141327.jpg 20210801_141436.jpg 20210801_142943.jpg

Hi, new member. I hope I'm not the guy posting a question that has been asked a million times. I did try and search the forums first! I got this concert tom kit a few days ago. It came with the stands, a "World Series" 10 lug Pearl snare, and a 1960's Ludwig HH Stand. The original owner added legs to the one drum (leaving the original tom mount as well) to make it a floor tom. Otherwise I think it's original. I know it's not worth a lot ( I paid $150), but the interior of all but 1 drum looks like a fiberglass spray. When i removed the heads, I could see the wood underneath from the wrap side and it looks like Luan to me. I have a bunch of 60's stencil kits, looks like that wood. One of the toms does not have the spray inside (pictured), nor does the kick. Is this interior spray what I am seeing called "Zola Cote"? I only see it mentioned with Tama, so I wasn't sure. My understanding is that these were made by Pearl.

20210730_115219.jpg
20210801_141327.jpg

20210801_141436.jpg
20210801_142943.jpg

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome to DFO!

Nice set, lots of fun to be had with them, and you got these at a good price. These drums date to the early 1980s. "CB" stands for Charles Bruno, a major music distributor at the time, later bought out by Kaman (of Ovation guitars fame). These were budget drums at the time, but well made for what they were, only a step below Tama Swingstars or Pearl Exports. Those distinctive lugs are called "wristwatch" lugs, and if you're buying a CB700 set, they are the ones to have. Later models had a more generic look.

Zola-Cote is a Tama trademark, but the process is the same. Ludwig did the same with the Rockers in the 1980s. Basically, it is just a textured paint on the interiors in order to make all the shells look more uniform, especially when made of cheaper wood. Some drummers claim it enhances the sound, I think it's really just for appearance. On the smaller concert toms, you will find that they used woodgrain contact paper.

These drums are indeed made of Luan, but nothing wrong with Luan at this price point. I swear by my Tama Swingstars as a backline/loaner set for over many, many years at numerous festivals and events, I had some major league drummers play them, and nobody has ever complained about them being somehow inadequate for being made of Luan.

As far as I remember, there is no Pearl connection. The confusion comes maybe because later CB700 drums used Pearl style lugs, but so did all the other Taiwan stencils at the time.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Decent drums imo and not far from Tama Swingstar quality. They are certainly far scarcer than the Tama Imperialstar and Swingstar concert tom kits of the early 80's.
You have very desirable smaller sizes there too.......appears to be 6,8,10. I don't see why those aren't "worth" in the $400-$500 range (parted out) if all the tom mounting hardware is there too.
Then again no one wants to pay full freight for a complete kit.

I had a CB wristwatch lug 8,10 pair with original stand about 2 yrs ago and eventually got only $65 for those set. I've sold sets of Imperialstar concert toms (6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16) for around $325. The CB's can't be worth the same.
Sound-wise, they are probably almost identical to the intermediate brands of that era (Tama Imperialstar, Yamaha Tour series, Pearls, Ludwigs). So a nice way to get the same sound on the cheap.
Your snare drum alone is probably worth $150 so a good deal for you.

veedonfleece

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick and informative replies! I'll post some pics when I set them up. Oh, and $100 for those Scotch Brites, they are like new...2021 series. ;)

Reactions: JDA

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One more thing... I looked at your pics a bit closer and it looks like someone put a Pearl tom holder system on that bass drum. It was originally either virgin (no tom mount on bass at all, toms mounted on stands) or had CB700's own system (proprietary, not compatible with anything else and extremely hard to find now). Definitely an improvement as far as functionality goes, though it does make the set look more generic. If the mount says Pearl, the drum under it isn't necessarily made by Pearl. A lot of people drilled older drums for these, which is unfortunate when found on more valuable stuff, but not really a huge deal on CB700s.

Reaction score
View attachment 511209 View attachment 511210 View attachment 511211 View attachment 511212

Hi, new member. I hope I'm not the guy posting a question that has been asked a million times. I did try and search the forums first! I got this concert tom kit a few days ago. It came with the stands, a "World Series" 10 lug Pearl snare, and a 1960's Ludwig HH Stand. The original owner added legs to the one drum (leaving the original tom mount as well) to make it a floor tom. Otherwise I think it's original. I know it's not worth a lot ( I paid $150), but the interior of all but 1 drum looks like a fiberglass spray. When i removed the heads, I could see the wood underneath from the wrap side and it looks like Luan to me. I have a bunch of 60's stencil kits, looks like that wood. One of the toms does not have the spray inside (pictured), nor does the kick. Is this interior spray what I am seeing called "Zola Cote"? I only see it mentioned with Tama, so I wasn't sure. My understanding is that these were made by Pearl.

View attachment 511209 View attachment 511210

View attachment 511211 View attachment 511212
Welcome to the forum. I just wanted to add some interesting info about the multi-colored finish. Zolatone is the manufacturer’s trademarked name. Multi-spec is another product I’ve seen producing the unique finish in a more interior designer like color palette. This unusual effect results in mixing water based and oil based ingredients, thereby allowing the various colors to stay in suspension. I used to use it regularly in my automotive restoration business inside trunks and in wheel wells, and once on a kid’s bedroom accent wall. It performs a similar function to a drywaller’s texture finish, in that it makes minor imperfections on the surface no longer discernible.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome to DFO!

Nice set, lots of fun to be had with them, and you got these at a good price. These drums date to the early 1980s. "CB" stands for Charles Bruno, a major music distributor at the time, later bought out by Kaman (of Ovation guitars fame). These were budget drums at the time, but well made for what they were, only a step below Tama Swingstars or Pearl Exports. Those distinctive lugs are called "wristwatch" lugs, and if you're buying a CB700 set, they are the ones to have. Later models had a more generic look.

Zola-Cote is a Tama trademark, but the process is the same. Ludwig did the same with the Rockers in the 1980s. Basically, it is just a textured paint on the interiors in order to make all the shells look more uniform, especially when made of cheaper wood. Some drummers claim it enhances the sound, I think it's really just for appearance. On the smaller concert toms, you will find that they used woodgrain contact paper.

These drums are indeed made of Luan, but nothing wrong with Luan at this price point. I swear by my Tama Swingstars as a backline/loaner set for over many, many years at numerous festivals and events, I had some major league drummers play them, and nobody has ever complained about them being somehow inadequate for being made of Luan.

As far as I remember, there is no Pearl connection. The confusion comes maybe because later CB700 drums used Pearl style lugs, but so did all the other Taiwan stencils at the time.
Your line about contact paper reminds me of the Whitehall set I owned when I was young. I was so thrilled to get it, it had 13, 14 and 18 inch toms and a 24 inch bass drum in a "natural" wood finish. When I received the drums, the wood finish was contact paper!

flippantminister

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"CB" stands for Charles Bruno, a major music distributor at the time, later bought out by Kaman (of Ovation guitars fame).
Interesting, I never knew that! What an odd name for a drum brand. My first kit was a CB700 with wristwatch lugs(in white, even) so this brings back good memories. 13,14,16,22 with the somewhat Pearl-ish proprietary mounting system you mentioned. I was able to get it sounding quite good, did some recording with it and was satisfied. Traded up after 5 years for my first vintage kit, a 60s Slingerland in 20/12/14.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I always thought the name was based on trucker culture, as in "10-4, good buddy. Got your convoy of descending concert tom fills comin' up."