CB Steel Steal

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've always wanted to get a cheapy snare like that and bolt some thin hardwood blocks to the inside of it near the top rim to see if it would kill the ring those snares typically have and give off some tones that wooden snares are known to produce..it would probably just mute the whole drum and sound like crap...but for 20, bucks it wouldn't be a big loss..

Last edited:

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Plenty of silver lining to add.
I bet that snare sounds much better than it looks.
That is a 10-lug - so even if you don't run with it, you at least get a pair of 10 lug hoops which aren't cheap typically, and a good head start on a build.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I've always wanted to get a cheapy snare like that and bolt some thin hardwood blocks to the inside of it near the top rim to see if it would kill the ring those snares typically have and give off some tones that wooden snares are known to produce..it would probably just mute the whole drum and sound like crap...but for 20, bucks it wouldn't be a big loss..
If you want to get rid of the high pitched ringing that comes from the shell, just take the snare drum completely apart and apply a single layer of duct tape to the inside of the drum.
Run the tape all the way around the shell, then put it back together, retune the heads and the wires and you'll notice the drum will take on a mellower, darker sound and that high pitched ring will be gone.

Elvis

Last edited:

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you want to get rid of the high pitched ringing that comes from the shell, just take the snare drum completely apart and apply a single layer of duct tape to the inside of the drum.
Run the tape all the way around the shell, then put it back together, retune the heads and the wires and you'll notice the drum will take on a mellower, darker sound.

Elvis
Elvis seems to have alot of good ideas. I would add that you might want to consider using masking / painters tape so you (or a future owner) would not have to spend hours removing the residue of duct tape.

Thank you for this idea - as it opens up great opportunities to experiment with steel drums.

In addition, I think I now have a much better understanding of COW.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
"Elvis seems to have alot of good ideas "
...seems that way, doesn't it. ;)
I don't know if you'll get the same results using masking tape. It's a thinner, lighter material, but the idea of something easily removeable, for experimentation sake, is an interesting notion.
...of course, you could apply the duct tape lightly and try the drum out.
If its not for you, it will be easy enough to pull off and toss.

Elvis

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
besides the hoop and head...you get a throw and butt and lugs...but hey...to like it...nothing wrong with that.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gaffer tape is a beautiful idea, but also an expensive idea unless you've already a roll kicking around.

I'd just go ahead and use the duct tape, and then be prepared to use odorless mineral spirits to remove the residue in case you want to reverse things—it'll melt right off.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Gaffer tape is a beautiful idea, but also an expensive idea unless you've already a roll kicking around.

I'd just go ahead and use the duct tape, and then be prepared to use odorless mineral spirits to remove the residue in case you want to reverse things—it'll melt right off.
I always have a roll in the gear bag.....

Rock Salad

Reaction score
The ring it has actually is kind of nice, plus it has a muffler. Fun drum, played it all day yesterday.
I love me some tape though.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone so concerned with "residue"?
It's on the inside of the shell, who's gonna see?!

...???? :scratch:
Because once pull the tape off and the adhesive gets exposed to air, it drys so hard it becomes really difficult to get off no matter what solvent you use to get it off.

I am anal about a few things that I own, My drum kits, my boat. and my vehicles in that order. It would bug me to no end to have tape residue all over the inside of my drum shells whether you can see it or not. But that is just me and my warped obsessive compulsive behavior. But I certainly understand there are those that wouldn't be bothered by that in the least... I think it would be great to be that way sometimes, but I'm just not wired that way!

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the same drum about 2 years ago and tried the gaffers and blue tape on the inner shell. Bought a new head (Remo CS X coated ) still didn't like how it sounded. Some have had some great success with this drum even recorded with it. I sold it for $45 bought it for $29. Wasn't a bad drum I gave in to frustration and sold it. If I had the time and calmed down who knows. But a good find and the bag is a bonus....;)

Latest posts