Cb700 free floating snare

LBCD

Reaction score
I've read a few posts on this drum but never found an answer to my question. I own 2 of these snares one brass 6.5 and one cos 6.5. They both sound great but I like the cos over the brass. So my question would be how rare are they? CB700 products are still coming up on EBay and CL but I never see any of these...they are well made and heavy sob's

barryabko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The CB700 FF snare was identical to the first generation FF snare from Pearl. I have read that Pearl licensed the design from them (someone please please chime in if I'm not correct). I'd assume that part of the agreement was that the CB700 would be taken off the market so it would not conflict with the Pearl version. That is probably why there are so few of the CB compared to the Pearl. I have a maple CB700 and quite a few Pearl first and second generation (maple, brass, copper, custom shells, etc.).

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
barryabko is correct on this. The first generation was CB-700, quickly licensed by Pearl. At that point, the CB drums were no longer made. I had the 3 1/2" deep version of the CB-700 and played it on a unch of hits by Ricky Van Shelton and Foster and Lloyd in 87. Since I was a Remo endorser at the time, they made a couple of drums in that size, and I replaced the CB with Remo. The CB had a little juice that the Remo did not. Had to make up for it with a little EQ.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
Also, there are some Legend and Gretsch free floaters out there. The Gretsch has a combination maple and brass shell. Very nice drums. Out of production for years now. They show up on ebay occasionally.

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
you all are talking about the same type of drum, right? there was confusion on a CB700 that was for sale here some time ago as seller thought was a "free floater" but was simply a 6.5x14 wristwatch lug drum with the parallel strainer very similar to the TAMA kingbeat (and Rogers R-380 as well)....I have that drum now, and will be purchasing appropriate wires soon...great drum for a cheaper name brand.

LBCD

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info. I'm assuming that this snare is rare since pearl licenced it early into in production.

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love mine. I put a 6-1/2" Eames Master Model shell in the frame and it's amazing.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
C bruno was an importer of instruments. He distributed cb 700. Some cb stuff was manufactered by pearl. i'm sure there were agreements between the companies. I wouldn't know any specifics, though.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
you all are talking about the same type of drum, right? there was confusion on a CB700 that was for sale here some time ago as seller thought was a "free floater" but was simply a 6.5x14 wristwatch lug drum with the parallel strainer very similar to the TAMA kingbeat (and Rogers R-380 as well)....I have that drum now, and will be purchasing appropriate wires soon...great drum for a cheaper name brand.
i got 8 million sets of those wires if you need some.

barryabko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i got 8 million sets of those wires if you need some.
For the Tama King Beat? Earlier or later version?

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For the longest time, whenever the conversation turned to C Bruno and these drums, I would ponder who the heck was this C Bruno.

Seems C Bruno was a musical instrument importer well back into the 1880's, ads for whom turn up in old musical instrument periodicals from back in the 1880's etc. Till now I had been imagining him as an active participant in the development of free floaters etc.

http://www.19thcenturyguitar.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=140:c-bruno-c1880s&catid=52:martin-bini-coupa-schatz-washburn-guitar&Itemid=62