Celluloid Drum wrap from China....It has ARRIVED!

fusseltier

Reaction score
Makes me feel like wrapping my awful pearl limited edition snare just to make it look better. Or different.

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's arrived...!
Ordered on the 9th, shipped on the 10th, arrived on the 15th via UPS. Granted it was $135 for shipping but at least there was value for the money (and when factored into the total cost per sheet it was still reasonable). 8 sheets of marine pearl, 4 of an emerald green color and 4 of a "butterscotch" shade (yellow/gold heading towards light orange).

It was shipped as a roll wrapped in paper and bubble wrap. There was a bit of damage to the edge of the outer roll but nothing too severe. The smell is instantly recognizable as "vintage drum". That smell you get when you open up an old drum from the 1950s or 1960s...that's definitely celluloid. Multiply it by ten and that's what you get when you open this package.

So for roughly $36 a sheet I'm satisfied. Now I just need to decide what to do with it. I have two sets that need to be rewrapped: A 60's Ludwig Super Classic set that someone refinished with gray garage floor epoxy (purchased for $20) and a Rogers set with cracked WMP wrap (13/16/16/24) that someone set out for the trash. Both have been waiting around for the right wrap. I'm leaning towards the butterscotch on the Rogers but we'll see. There are other projects floating around that could also be done, or wait for something new to come along. That green would be perfect for a SSB Gretsch set.

This makes me wonder about some of the other colors. There is a stunning purple, and of course that jade green that started this whole quest....neither of which is currently available unless ordered in a large quantity.

Here is the package as received...

View attachment 490010

as packaged...

View attachment 490011

Initial unrolling...
View attachment 490012

colors...

View attachment 490013

size of chips...

View attachment 490014

Anyway, if you're looking for another wrap option that is unique or might save some dough this is one worth exploring.
how prone is it to scratching?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
how prone is it to scratching?
It is a soft plastic first invented in the 1800s so yes, it will scratch. So will regular drum wrap if you aren't careful. I imagine this isn't quite as tough as that but in the same ballpark. If you want bulletproof then go for cortex which also a very old plastic (paper soaked in melamine resin) but pretty tough.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
So I have some deciding to do and it might not be easy. The plan for the Rogers set for the past 22 years or so since I happened upon it was always to re-do it in WMP because it's a Buddy Rich configuration. I could never quite get up the desire to spend the $300 or so to buy the wrap to redo it. In fact I was tempted to order WMP this time with that in mind but then opted on the green and butterscotch because "why buy something readily available with all these other choices?". The drums would turn out beautifully in either of those colors....but... Buddy Rich!?! So I have to ponder it a bit more. These drums are not the correct era for a Buddy set, they are early 70s drums that just happened to be 13/16/24 and I found another 16. That gives me some additional "mental wiggle room"....they sure would look nice in that green. I just now remembered that I have another Rogers set (12/13/16/22) out in the garage in cracked New England white...so.....

That green would also be ideal for a Gretsch set, and I have some shells, but all sans hardware...so that adds up pretty quick when you start buying lugs and hoops. Full set of fiberglass shells laying about as well...but again the hardware adds up quick, although generic bits can be had for less. .

I have another project currently in the works as well. Just waiting on a shell being crafted by Bernie Stone. It seems to be delayed but will hopefully show up soon. Probably should finish one project before starting another.

Anyway, bottom line is it might be a while before this wrap (now safely stowed in a canister throne) ends up on some drums. I'll definitely get to it but these decisions take the proper amount of reflection before making a spur of the moment decision that I'll regret for years to come :) .

I contacted Holly to thank her for the extremely quick service. I asked again about the Jade Green and how they go about deciding which wraps to have or keep in stock. From her answer it appears that they don't stock certain colors as a rule. rather it seems that when someone orders the minimum amount (200kg) or more they end up with some extra at that time to sell. So it's a bit of a crap shoot whether someone orders enough to get it made, how much remains after the order is filled, and that you contact them at the time they have it in stock. I asked that she let me know if they ever do make some of that color for an order but whether that order ever comes or if she remember to do so if it does is anyone's guess. I did give her a link to this thread.

Still, I'm satisfied with what I received for the amount spent. At some point I'll have some very sweet looking drums as a result. I wouldn't hesitate to order more if I needed a specific color and it was available.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
RE: Your Buddy Rich configuration Rogers, if you do cover the 13/16/16/24 in the green pearl you can always get a reissue Dyna-Sonic in green pearl to match it! ;)

Meanwhile regarding the jade green, I'm sitting here wondering how many sheets comes out to 440 pounds...

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
RE: Your Buddy Rich configuration Rogers, if you do cover the 13/16/16/24 in the green pearl you can always get a reissue Dyna-Sonic in green pearl to match it! ;)

Meanwhile regarding the jade green, I'm sitting here wondering how many sheets comes out to 440 pounds...
I was told when asking about shipping that each sheet weighs .85 Kg so 200Kg would be around 230 sheets. It sounds like you might not be required to take all those sheets, just pay for that many. Maybe that's where they get their extra stock.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
KO, is it thin wrap and without backing? The WMP I bought off eBay was 0.45 mm I believe and will work as wrap, but is translucent due to not having the backing.......

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
don’t overthink it now KO... Throw that stuff on some of them old shells and let’s see it ‘in the flesh’ already!! lol

That Butterscotch color would do those old Slingys nicely

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
KO, is it thin wrap and without backing? The WMP I bought off eBay was 0.45 mm I believe and will work as wrap, but is translucent due to not having the backing.......
It's .5mm which is pretty thin yet isn't as thin as it sounds. No backing it's just pure celluloid. No protective wrap on it either. Semi translucent. More of a "raw" material than a totally finished product. It's basically the inside layer of Delmar pearl wrap. They take celluloid (from Italy) and slice it much thinner then laminate it between two other materials (PVC based I believe) which stabilizes it and puts an opaque backing on it. This stuff is just a thicker version of that pearl layer. On lighter colors of this wrap it might be wise to paint the shell or the back of the wrap a base color due to the translucence, although probably less of an issue on maple or other lighter color shells than darker woods such as mahogany.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
K.O., I'm wondering what adhesive you will be using for this project? Are you concerned about the wrap shrinking?

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
So I have some deciding to do and it might not be easy. The plan for the Rogers set for the past 22 years or so since I happened upon it was always to re-do it in WMP because it's a Buddy Rich configuration. I could never quite get up the desire to spend the $300 or so to buy the wrap to redo it. In fact I was tempted to order WMP this time with that in mind but then opted on the green and butterscotch because "why buy something readily available with all these other choices?". The drums would turn out beautifully in either of those colors....but... Buddy Rich!?! So I have to ponder it a bit more. These drums are not the correct era for a Buddy set, they are early 70s drums that just happened to be 13/16/24 and I found another 16. That gives me some additional "mental wiggle room"....they sure would look nice in that green. I just now remembered that I have another Rogers set (12/13/16/22) out in the garage in cracked New England white...so.....

That green would also be ideal for a Gretsch set, and I have some shells, but all sans hardware...so that adds up pretty quick when you start buying lugs and hoops. Full set of fiberglass shells laying about as well...but again the hardware adds up quick, although generic bits can be had for less. .

I have another project currently in the works as well. Just waiting on a shell being crafted by Bernie Stone. It seems to be delayed but will hopefully show up soon. Probably should finish one project before starting another.

Anyway, bottom line is it might be a while before this wrap (now safely stowed in a canister throne) ends up on some drums. I'll definitely get to it but these decisions take the proper amount of reflection before making a spur of the moment decision that I'll regret for years to come :) .

I contacted Holly to thank her for the extremely quick service. I asked again about the Jade Green and how they go about deciding which wraps to have or keep in stock. From her answer it appears that they don't stock certain colors as a rule. rather it seems that when someone orders the minimum amount (200kg) or more they end up with some extra at that time to sell. So it's a bit of a crap shoot whether someone orders enough to get it made, how much remains after the order is filled, and that you contact them at the time they have it in stock. I asked that she let me know if they ever do make some of that color for an order but whether that order ever comes or if she remember to do so if it does is anyone's guess. I did give her a link to this thread.

Still, I'm satisfied with what I received for the amount spent. At some point I'll have some very sweet looking drums as a result. I wouldn't hesitate to order more if I needed a specific color and it was available.

As cool as those wraps are Kevin, I would almost think doing the Rogers set in a correct Buddy Rich color would be the ticket. There aren't a lot of those out there with correct Buddy sizes and even though I know you don't typically sell drums, I think having a set like Buddy's would garner the most return on your effort down the road. Those colors do look great though.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
As cool as those wraps are Kevin, I would almost think doing the Rogers set in a correct Buddy Rich color would be the ticket. There aren't a lot of those out there with correct Buddy sizes and even though I know you don't typically sell drums, I think having a set like Buddy's would garner the most return on your effort down the road. Those colors do look great though.
Yeah, I'm sort of leaning in that direction now that I realized I have that other Rogers set. I might order 5 sheets of their white wrap for the BR sized set.

It's pretty bad when you have whole sets you've forgotten about.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
K.O., I'm wondering what adhesive you will be using for this project? Are you concerned about the wrap shrinking?
I'll be using the standard 3M-30NF contact cement. I used that on my previous project using this type of wrap and so far no issues have cropped up there. You can use acetone on the overlap seams for this wrap. It dissolves the wrap a bit so the two parts are "welded" together. That was the way Precision said to adhere the overlap years ago. The problem is if you get too carried away the welded part might show through to the outside. I did do that on that Peacock pearl set with no real issues though.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll be using the standard 3M-30NF contact cement. I used that on my previous project using this type of wrap and so far no issues have cropped up there. You can use acetone on the overlap seams for this wrap. It dissolves the wrap a bit so the two parts are "welded" together. That was the way Precision said to adhere the overlap years ago. The problem is if you get too carried away the welded part might show through to the outside. I did do that on that Peacock pearl set with no real issues though.
I'll be wrapping a floor tom very soon with some WMP from Precision. Where do you get the 3M-30NF cement? Lowes and Walmart near me don't carry it.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.

microswitch

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sort of leaning in that direction now that I realized I have that other Rogers set. I might order 5 sheets of their white wrap for the BR sized set.

It's pretty bad when you have whole sets you've forgotten about.
Indeed... If I may ask thew two wrap you received.. what was the suffix 10...15 or 30 ?
From thier catalogue pic is hard to discern the chip size and we know the BR wrap is of the "Big Chip" kind just how big? would the 15 be right or the 30 more likely.. I know the 10 is small.. just finding some comparison before i order my 5 sheet ow WMP

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So with it being thin and semi translucent could you take a piece of colored vinyl and adhere to the back of the wrap? What would it do to the color? Depending on the color of vinyl you use?

Last edited: