Celluloid Drum wrap from China....It has ARRIVED!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
So with it being thin and semi translucent could you take a piece of colored vinyl and adhere to the back of the wrap? What would it do to the color? Depending on the color of vinyl you use?
If it were going to be a problem I would most likley paint either the drum shell or the backside of the wrap in a color that enhances the look I want. I did that when I used this type of wrap before on my "peacock" set. I found a light blue that helped the colors pop a bit and painted the shells with that prior to wrapping.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Indeed... If I may ask thew two wrap you received.. what was the suffix 10...15 or 30 ?
From thier catalogue pic is hard to discern the chip size and we know the BR wrap is of the "Big Chip" kind just how big? would the 15 be right or the 30 more likely.. I know the 10 is small.. just finding some comparison before i order my 5 sheet ow WMP
I ordered 30 which is the largest size. 10 is the smallest which I think is similar to a lot of the modern Delmar marine pearls (ie: too small). Of course you have to order from what they have available so the 30 sized wrap isn't available in all the colors they have in inventory (not are all the colors in their inventory either).

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it were going to be a problem I would most likley paint either the drum shell or the backside of the wrap in a color that enhances the look I want. I did that when I used this type of wrap before on my "peacock" set. I found a light blue that helped the colors pop a bit and painted the shells with that prior to wrapping.
After pulling the wrap on more than a few 80s Tamas--I found that they used a clear celluloid type wrap with a metallic film behind it--between the shell and the clear celluloid. It truly made the wrap look, metallic. The use of paint sounds like the best way to go. But I'm curious if it would let a bit more light through if the shell were painted instead of the backside of the wrap? I have no idea. . .I think painting the shell just sounds easier than trying to flatten and paint the wrap.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
After pulling the wrap on more than a few 80s Tamas--I found that they used a clear celluloid type wrap with a metallic film behind it--between the shell and the clear celluloid. It truly made the wrap look, metallic. The use of paint sounds like the best way to go. But I'm curious if it would let a bit more light through if the shell were painted instead of the backside of the wrap? I have no idea. . .I think painting the shell just sounds easier than trying to flatten and paint the wrap.
I've only painted shells so far. I'm not sure if either of the wraps I bought will require it this time. The overall look of the peacock pearl was definitely influenced by the underlying color.

I think it's not much of an issue over a maple (or similar light colored) shell as it might be on a dark mahogany or something else darker. The drums I used the Peacock pearl over were all mahogany outer plies.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've only painted shells so far. I'm not sure if either of the wraps I bought will require it this time. The overall look of the peacock pearl was definitely influenced by the underlying color.

I think it's not much of an issue over a maple (or similar light colored) shell as it might be on a dark mahogany or something else darker. The drums I used the Peacock pearl over were all mahogany outer plies.
Tama didn't want anyone to see that ugly Luan grain, so they chose to cover it. I get it, lol.

I agree, the underlying grain is going to make a big diff.

microswitch

Reaction score
I'm reluctant to paint the shells or the wrap for that matter. ( Spent days removing the glue from my Roger Set) However I think there is a better way. there is this readily available and very cheap contact paper. My wife uses it to put it in the kitchen drawers. IS self adhesive comes in different color and easy to remove if I screw up. Just a thought....

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm reluctant to paint the shells or the wrap for that matter. ( Spent days removing the glue from my Roger Set) However I think there is a better way. there is this readily available and very cheap contact paper. My wife uses it to put it in the kitchen drawers. IS self adhesive comes in different color and easy to remove if I screw up. Just a thought....
I think that could work.
I believe most colors will work fine on anything but really dark shells. Most of the marine Pearls aren't super translucent, they just aren't quite opaque either.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm watching this one closely. I think this could look pretty cool on a PDP wood hoop kit.
Could you do two layers of the wrap?
Perhaps a Gold underneath a Butterscotch? Would that work?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm watching this one closely. I think this could look pretty cool on a PDP wood hoop kit.
Could you do two layers of the wrap?
Perhaps a Gold underneath a Butterscotch? Would that work?
It would depend on how undersized your shells were and how thick the wraps were. The Celluloid is .5mm thick which isn't as thin as it sounds. About the same as regular drum wrap but it's all one solid thing rather than laminated layers.

microswitch

Reaction score
Just for comparison sake ...................I received a sample from Precision of their White Pearl and their Antique White pearl. ( see attached pictures)
I realized, what gives the "Antique" shade is the color of the backing ( see attached picture)
Also the thickness is 20 mil for the white and 30 mil for the Antique. If my eyes are still effective I would say the backing is about 50% of the wrap on the white and about 75% on the Antique.

I also got a better picture/sample from Ms. Holly ( I requested a picture of a bigger chip ) for the Item Y1005-30 which I perceived to be white but after she sent me the pic I realize it is a light gray. So back to square one. I have been looking to see if I could find some 10 mil rigid plastic sheet or rolls to place behind the Celluloid but with so many types of plastic I'm completely lost and confused... Now I think I understand why the Delmar wraps are so expensive... I have a Buddy rich set up Rogers and a Bop Kit Rogers......The quot from Precision for the Wrap...$566.00 White $767 Antique and doing the work myself.
Yes indeed very expensive endeavor and it is what gives the China wrap and very attractive look. I have decided to buy a sample wrap from Ebay to cover 1 tom I will try the installation and see the result. Still there is the issue of finding a real white Pearl with the big chip and so far. Will email Ms. Holly again and see if she can provide what i need.

This is for your information and handling. Digest at your own risk.
:)

Attachments

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes indeed very expensive endeavor and it is what gives the China wrap and very attractive look. I have decided to buy a sample wrap from Ebay to cover 1 tom I will try the installation and see the result. Still there is the issue of finding a real white Pearl with the big chip and so far. Will email Ms. Holly again and see if she can provide what i need.
Please report back with your results!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is the .5mm thickness - I've bought thinner before and it was too slight for drum wrap. This is about exactly what was on the older (30s-50s) drums. This particular wrap is on ebay now for about $45 per 16x60 sheet.
That's a very cool wrap.

gutenberg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is the .5mm thickness - I've bought thinner before and it was too slight for drum wrap. This is about exactly what was on the older (30s-50s) drums. This particular wrap is on ebay now for about $45 per 16x60 sheet.
Got a link to the eBay product?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
That is a very cool look!

microswitch

Reaction score
UPDATE!!
After email back and forth with Holly, and finally understanding the wrap I was getting, she replied that she was out of stock on the White Pearl "Big Pattern" Y1005-30 and that she only had the small patter. ( the one very commonly available today)She had originally told me that wrap was in stock.
She also mentioned to me that they had 2 type, one translucent and the other with a white backing. She said they received feed back from customers about the wrap being translucent and so they created one with a white backing.
So I'm bummed they were out of stock on the big pattern... so my Buddy Rick kit need to wait. I'm tempted to choose another wrap but I was so ... set on the WMP..... anyway.. will keep the board updated..

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
UPDATE!!
After email back and forth with Holly, and finally understanding the wrap I was getting, she replied that she was out of stock on the White Pearl "Big Pattern" Y1005-30 and that she only had the small patter. ( the one very commonly available today)She had originally told me that wrap was in stock.
She also mentioned to me that they had 2 type, one translucent and the other with a white backing. She said they received feed back from customers about the wrap being translucent and so they created one with a white backing.
So I'm bummed they were out of stock on the big pattern... so my Buddy Rick kit need to wait. I'm tempted to choose another wrap but I was so ... set on the WMP..... anyway.. will keep the board updated..
I was thinking about ordering some of that too. Did she indicate whether it would come back in stock?

It's somewhat unclear about the "in stock" wraps whether they make up batches of good sellers to have in stock or do they only make up extra when someone orders a run of a particular color and then keep some of that to sell?

Last edited: