Celluloid Drum wrap from China....It has ARRIVED!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
K.O, that green you got is a really really nice wrap. and would look great on a Gretsch set from the 60s or 70s.

For your Rogers, I have to agree that Buddy WMP is the way to go.

microswitch

Reaction score
I was thinking about ordering some of that too. Did she indicate whether it would come back in stock?

It's somewhat unclear about the "in stock" wraps whether they make up batches of good sellers to have in stock or do they only make up extra when someone orders a run of a particular color and then keep some of that to sell?
She was not able to tell me when that wrap would be available, however I may have found another source via ALIBABA. Their cost is about $10.00 per sheet ( at least on their web site) but their minimum is 10 sheet. I would not mind buy the 10 sheets and then sell the 5 extra.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
She was not able to tell me when that wrap would be available, however I may have found another source via ALIBABA. Their cost is about $10.00 per sheet ( at least on their web site) but their minimum is 10 sheet. I would not mind buy the 10 sheets and then sell the 5 extra.

Seems to me I remember something about that site not being all that trustworthy. I have nothing but memory to go on, however. If you do order from them please let us know what happens.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score

Interesting. I wonder what the "chip" size is like on that? 10 sheets shipped the way mine came would be very pricey but maybe shipped via a (literal) slow boat from China would be reasonable.

microswitch

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder what the "chip" size is like on that? 10 sheets shipped the way mine came would be very pricey but maybe shipped via a (literal) slow boat from China would be reasonable.
Ok got a quote from Vickie at SASA plastic.
10 sheet minimum. But can mix and match
So I chose 4 sheet white pearl with white backing, Black Diamond pearl. 3 sheet and green pearl 3 sheet All big pattern-total $210 + 125 shipping door to door.
Size is 700 mm x 1600 mm. .50 mm

Last edited by a moderator:

microswitch

Reaction score
Got some response from the other source SASA Import.
I had asked for the total amount, and a picture of the actual wrap I was buying. Mind you in my previous e-mails I had emphasized the pearl BIG PATTERN.
Was very discouraged today to receive an email with the picture of the wrap I was buying .. does not look like a big pattern to me, plus she mentioned color for the wrap is same front and back meaning Translucent..............
Below the picture Vickie sent me......

I'm bummed...

Attachments

microswitch

Reaction score
Seems to me I remember something about that site not being all that trustworthy. I have nothing but memory to go on, however. If you do order from them please let us know what happens.
YOU remember correctly.!!!
SASA is not a trustworthy company

I got a strange response from my inquiry about the big pattern vs the original picture i was getting a quote.
I basically was told that I wanted too much and they tried their best.
That the wrap in the picture was PVC not Celluloid and I asked for celluloid. ( I never did)
That I was not gonna find any place in China that would do small order like I wanted..
So I asked why did you not tell me this the first time i asked ??

In comparison Holly from Jiujiang Juhong New Material, was a much more professional sales lady and was upfront. She gave me option just not what I wanted. I will go back to her and maybe choose a different color not sure yet.
But this is what was advertised on the website... Very deceiving...

Back in the hunt for WMP

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Very nice looking. I need to get a piece of that for something or other.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Celluloid is what ping pong balls were made of for over 100 years. About 3 or 4 years ago the sport switched to plastic balls, because the last remaining ping pong ball factories were in China... after some nasty fires in such factorys it became too costly to run a factory anywhere but China. A lot of players were bummed because plastic bounces different, sounds different, and is more expensive. Celluloid is also more environmentally friendly because it is biodegradable.

microswitch

Reaction score
In regard to the wrap being translucent. Before jumping on the band wagon I ordered a piece of WMP from eBay. A small pc only for $20.00. I used a black lacquered pearl tom. From the picture I posted you could see a pic of the wrap with no backing (translucent) and a pc of a ivory pvc contact paper from Joanne. I applied this (easily removable) contact paper to the shell and over it the wrap. I like the results.. I also put a pic of my homemade wrap installer ( very rude yes but it works)
Granted it is not the big pattern I prefer but it was just a trial of the end result.
With my Ivory backing I have achieved something betwen the really yellowed Vintage color and the bright white. I like it more.

Attachments

Last edited:

microswitch

Reaction score
Finally the Wrap is here.. I ll post some pictures.. On the WMP i took a picture compared to a sample i got from Precision (Delmar wrap).. can't tell the difference.. mind you I had to use a backing sheet of "ALMOND" contact paper sold at ACE HARDWARE store, self adhesive. You can see the 13" on the ""Home made WRINGER Machine"" and then the final product. I used the tape method..... I do Cabinetry Restoration and use a lot a tape called FAST TAPE. Also a shot of the ""ORANGE MOD" I like it I can't wait to cover my Orphan LUDDY 16" TF. I have to mentioned that Holly, the person I dealt with is a very nice and helpful lady, very accomodating and she followed the tracking of the package when I informed her that UPS was having difficulty verifying the weight. After initally comunicating with email she proveded me with a phone number and we comunicated (LIVETIME) with whatapp.

Attachments

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally the Wrap is here.. I ll post some pictures.. On the WMP i took a picture compared to a sample i got from Precision (Delmar wrap).. can't tell the difference.. mind you I had to use a backing sheet of "ALMOND" contact paper sold at ACE HARDWARE store, self adhesive. You can see the 13" on the ""Home made WRINGER Machine"" and then the final product. I used the tape method..... I do Cabinetry Restoration and use a lot a tape called FAST TAPE. Also a shot of the ""ORANGE MOD" I like it I can't wait to cover my Orphan LUDDY 16" TF. I have to mentioned that Holly, the person I dealt with is a very nice and helpful lady, very accomodating and she followed the tracking of the package when I informed her that UPS was having difficulty verifying the weight. After initally comunicating with email she proveded me with a phone number and we comunicated (LIVETIME) with whatapp.
Nice! that tom looks brand new!

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That looks good. That mod orange

microswitch

Reaction score
Here a couple pic of the Mod Orange. It looks beautiful.... but.... The wrap does not sit flat ( hard to tell from a picture) I believe the only way to put it on, is by gluing and making sure all the surface is pressed into contct with the shell or else there will be pockets of air. Different story for the WMP it is flat and easy to install with tape.

Attachments

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here a couple pic of the Mod Orange. It looks beautiful.... but.... The wrap does not sit flat ( hard to tell from a picture) I believe the only way to put it on, is by gluing and making sure all the surface is pressed into contct with the shell or else there will be pockets of air. Different story for the WMP it is flat and easy to install with tape.
Such a killer color.