Center Cracked Cymbal Repair

spazapproved

Reaction score
So I broke another cymbal. This time the crack was in the center of the cymbal vs the edge. So I made a quick DIY showing how I repaired the crack.
There is a sound comparison at the end with a non-broken matching cymbal. You'd never have known it was cracked now.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly the way I do it. I saved a Thin 18" Zildjian Armand crash, which BTW is a very tough cymbal replacement to find. It had a 3 way crack in the middle that branched out a little and was not in line with the lathing.

armand crash repair.jpg

Last edited:

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of a sharpie, if you lightly spray the cracked area with the faintest mist of wd40 and then sprinkle some flour or baby powder over the crack, then lightly tap the bow of the cymbal to shake free any excess powder, you'll be left with an exact outline of the crack. We usually can't see all the fine details of the crack with our eyesight alone and this almost always unveils more of the crack than we think exists. It's also really important to drill the connected holes beyond the end of the crack, so it has nowhere left to go.

spazapproved

Reaction score
Instead of a sharpie, if you lightly spray the cracked area with the faintest mist of wd40 and then sprinkle some flour or baby powder over the crack, then lightly tap the bow of the cymbal to shake free any excess powder, you'll be left with an exact outline of the crack. We usually can't see all the fine details of the crack with our eyesight alone and this almost always unveils more of the crack than we think exists. It's also really important to drill the connected holes beyond the end of the crack, so it has nowhere left to go.

that's a good idea. That's why I draw a line at the end of the crack that is visible and then I drill on the outside of that line just to go further out incase the hairline is unseen to the eye. But I'll try that powder out for sure. Nice