Centering dw 5000 double bass pedal

Rmgreg

Reaction score
the right beater seems to be too far out. You can unscrew the bottom with hex driver to adjust.
The right beater is just right of center. the left beater is too far left.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Yeah thought so. Then you need to adjust the location of pedal. Maybe change spur settings to get it even out?
If I move the pedal right it doesn't sit level. I can't get the allen screw on left beater loose and I'm not sure it will move far enough right anyway. I'm wondering if this is common with dw 5000s. My iron cobra is centered.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Neither one is centered. Double pedals can't be perfectly centered. And it doesn't really matter.
I don't want either one centered. With my iron cobra the center of the drum falls right between the two bearers. I can't seem to make that happen with the dw.

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest moving your right beater at least closer to the left beater. That way both beaters will eventually hit similar location.
I've had similar case but with double pedal you really don't have freedom to adjust hitting spot especially when pedals don't have extensive adjustment function..

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not worried. Just thought it was odd the the iron cobra had no issues
I respectfully suggest the "Issue" is completely subjective. I would suggest moving the right beater to the left to center at least the main pedal if that helps relieve your angst. You could replace that patch with an oval one as well which may help ease your mind.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Might be the angle of the photo but it looks like the bass drum patch isn't centered to me.

beaters.jpg

Now, this can all be subjective to the angle of your photo but from what you've shown us the patch is too far right based of the positioning of your bass drum claws. The pedal brackets and springs look spaced properly compared to the lower 2 claws. The right beater looks like it's too far right, the left is just left of center, and the patch is too far right to be center.

Maybe some more pics or double check patch spacing?

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Might be the angle but it looks like the bass drum patch isn't centered to me.

View attachment 496005
Now, this can all be subjective to the angle of your photo but from what you've shown us the patch is too far right based of the positioning of your bass drum claws. The pedal brackets and springs look spaced properly compared to the lower 2 claws. The right beater looks like it's too far right, the left is just left of center, and the patch is too far right to be center.

The patch is almost dead center based on tape measure. I moved the right beater further right to get it more right of center but couldn't get the allen screw in left beater loose to also move right. Photo angle isn't great. I know it doesn't really matter. I will go with an oval patch on the new emad2 head but thought someone who had the 5000 double pedal may have dealt with the same. The iron cobra screws on and is right in the center with no adjustment.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The patch is almost dead center based on tape measure. I moved the right beater further right to get it more right of center but couldn't get the allen screw in left beater loose to also move right. Photo angle isn't great. I know it doesn't really matter. I will go with an oval patch on the new emad2 head but thought someone who had the 5000 double pedal may have dealt with the same. The iron cobra screws on and is right in the center with no adjustment.
Makes sense. My stupio is pulled apart from a move otherwise I'd be able to check later. I think the left one does sit a bit left and is based on their old clunker design I just can't confirm anything at the moment.
s-l400.jpg

I tried to find some images to confirm but if you're looking for the pedal the images are always off the bass drum so if you know any artists that use them you can search pics of their setup for confirmation. That's a bit too involved for me to do at work. I did find this youtube video where it shows his set up towards the end with a camera that isn't the most stable and from multiple angles it does look like it sits with the right beater close to center and the left a bit off. Hope this helps!

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Might be the angle of the photo but it looks like the bass drum patch isn't centered to me.

View attachment 496005

You ha
Makes sense. My stupio is pulled apart from a move otherwise I'd be able to check later. I think the left one does sit a bit left and is based on their old clunker design I just can't confirm anything at the moment.
View attachment 496008

I tried to find some images to confirm but if you're looking for the pedal the images are always off the bass drum so if you know any artists that use them you can search pics of their setup for confirmation. That's a bit too involved for me to do at work. I did find this youtube video where it shows his set up towards the end with a camera that isn't the most stable and from multiple angles it does look like it sits with the right beater close to center and the left a bit off. Hope this helps!
Yes it does. That's what I'm seeing too. Right beater naturally sits near center and left is left of center. Vs my Tama, the beaters straddle the center which i would think would produce more consistent sound between the beaters although likely minor. It's much more noticeable with the single round patch the last guy put on. I will be using the double like the video and will mount wherever the beaters fall.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh, this entire conundrum comes down to the fact that that patch was applied precisely to be located for your Iron Cobra!
Now you have a different pedal.
Use some penetrating oil (blaster is awesome!) and an extension on your allen wrench and place the beaters where you like them best and replace that patch in the appropriate position with the aforementioned oval version.
Once again, another drum issue analyzed and solved via the erudite wisdom of DFOers!

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Ahhhh, this entire conundrum comes down to the fact that that patch was applied precisely to be located for your Iron Cobra!
Now you have a different pedal.
Use some penetrating oil (blaster is awesome!) and an extension on your allen wrench and place the beaters where you like them best and replace that patch in the appropriate position with the aforementioned oval version.
Once again, another drum issue analyzed and solved via the erudite wisdom of DFOers!
No. I just purchased this kit and it came with the dw pedal and the patch in this position. My iron cobra is on another kit.