Certain cymbals support faster playing?

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Experimenting with a few different cymbals lately, I appear to be finding that certain ride cymbals more easily support extended one-handed uptempo 16ths (like ~120bps). The effect seems to be most pronounced in medium-light cymbals; too light and there doesn’t seem to be enough physical “support;” too heavy and bounces seem to be “absorbed.”

Has anyone else experienced this?

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes...I can't explain it, and not with medium light cymbals, but I notice a difference between my Sabian 21" HH raw bell dry ride (3490g) and my Zildjian 22" K ride (3108g).

The Zildjian *feels* easier to play faster. Less energy required to play the same patterns at similar tempos.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
what happens (to you) when a note is struck on the cymbal probably influences your next note

if I had to pick one thing that-I think- leads to speed- I'd have to say- a flat profile- surface- where the entire stick - is nearly kissing the cymbal- Low profile.

A majority- from the tip of the stick- back thru the neck- the shoulder- about a third of the way -from the tip - up.
Parallel.

So in that sense. A "stick" shape can lend or lean to fast playing as much as; even on a "wrong" cymbal; But nice to have both. Stick and cymbal with a flat close profile.

ummmmmmmmaybe

Last edited:

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
what happens (to you) when a note is struck on the cymbal probably influences your next note

if I had to pick one thing that-I think- leads to speed- I'd have to say- a flat profile- surface- where the entire stick - is nearly kissing the cymbal- Low profile.

A majority- from the tip of the stick- back thru the neck- the shoulder- about a third of the way -from the tip - up.
Parallel.

So in that sense. A "stick" shape can lend or lean to fast playing as much as; even on a "wrong" cymbal; But nice to have both. Stick and cymbal with a flat close profile.

ummmmmmmmaybe
Weirdly, the cymbal I noticed the effect on most prominently had a notably “umbrella-ed” profile.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
you'll figure whats best For You : )
we're all different no herd-mentality no-orthodoxy; as drummer's we're free.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd guess buttery/wobbly cymbals don't promote fast playing as much as tighter, bouncier ones. A Zildjians come to mind as more springy than most other lines/brands.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd guess buttery/wobbly cymbals don't promote fast playing as much as tighter, bouncier ones. A Zildjians come to mind as more springy than most other lines/brands.
Yes, I’ve definitely experienced this phenomenon more often with A Zildjians.

Tuckerboy

Reaction score
I recently noticed a change in feel with the same cymbal being set up differently on a boom arm cymbal stand. I usually have the boom arm extended about half way out and I repositioned the boom arm 3/4 or more of the way out and the cymbal felt like it had a softer feel with more flex and rebound to it but I attributed it to the change of positioning of the boom arm. I’m guessing the stand had more give, flexing, and vibrations going on due to the weight and the fulcrum of the boom arm being changed.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Definitely the cymbal makes its own difference, with some having a snappier response, others having softer response. But without buying new cymbals you can also experiment with different types/densities of felt (cellular foam, rubber) as they can alter the sound and response of the cymbal.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Definitely the cymbal makes its own difference, with some having a snappier response, others having softer response. But without buying new cymbals you can also experiment with different types/densities of felt (cellular foam, rubber) as they can alter the sound and response of the cymbal.
Wow, I never would’ve thought felts would noticeably impact response. I’ll give that a try.

Latest posts