header.nohb.html

Chad Smith’s Paiste set revealed

kallen49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
interesting that he chose a PSTX 20" med crash, (in place of his "holy china'?), not an expensive cymbal,

Chad mentions it's invigorating to change things... I will keep my old Zildjians but love my 2002's.

purity

Reaction score
I'm not really a RHCP fan, but Chad seems like a good guy who really enjoys what he does. His quote at 4:13 is pretty hilarious... "Yeah the 38" gong is the standard size but I'm not playing at the local bar..."

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mentioned he used Paiste in the studio.
Always read the rumors.

In other news Paiste has a new Gary Husband video up and hes using Rude Hi Hats.
Sound pretty good

Tarkus

Reaction score

He plays a 2002 24 inch ride + the 24 inch crash, but does not mention the godfather of this combination: Ian Paice, who already used this maybe before Chad even started drumming.

Ts, ts, ts...

Otherwise, great. (thumbs up).

Tom Cat

Reaction score
He plays a 2002 24 inch ride + the 24 inch crash, but does not mention the godfather of this combination: Ian Paice, who already used this maybe before Chad even started drumming.

Ts, ts, ts...

chad and Ian are somewhat good buddies, they've collaborated on several drum videos to date and get on together pretty good
paice was obviously an influence on chad in his younger day as he was my main influence
and i gotta say it..... since he started hangin with that paice fella I always knew all along chad was a 2oo2 kinda guy at heart

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Ts, ts, ts...

It’s not like Ian invented the cymbals;). Props for making it sound great with Purple, though.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might need to get my hands on his gong. I need to get my kids up in the morning too. :salute: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

kevinyarger

Reaction score
It looks like he abandoned most of the painted/colorsound 2002's he had earlier. I wonder if he didn't like them or they didn't survive his playing.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It looks like he abandoned most of the painted/colorsound 2002's he had earlier. I wonder if he didn't like them or they didn't survive his playing.
Good question. My guess is he didn’t like them. The silver does look sharp with the silver drums, though.

Sonar Dave

Reaction score
I don't need a new set of cymbals...
I was thinking the same thing.

healthie1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Chad's current set up for drums is?

markkarj

Reaction score
My question is how seriously does anyone takes Chad's comments about his new cymbals? I may have when I was younger, but not so much now.

Case in point, I find it a little funny how he mentioned using Paistes when they recorded Blood Sugar Sex Magik (while he was a Sabian endorser). It seems an argument like, "I campaigned for the other guy but I voted for you!"

I would have found it more credible if he'd said something like 1) he was after a different sound and wanted to try something new, or 2) how his new cymbals make the band's classics sound better.

I do appreciate drummers use other gear and change their minds. I just wonder if he appreciates Paiste as much if/when he went to Zildjian or Meinl.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My question is how seriously does anyone takes Chad's comments about his new cymbals? I may have when I was younger, but not so much now.

Case in point, I find it a little funny how he mentioned using Paistes when they recorded Blood Sugar Sex Magik (while he was a Sabian endorser). It seems an argument like, "I campaigned for the other guy but I voted for you!"

I would have found it more credible if he'd said something like 1) he was after a different sound and wanted to try something new, or 2) how his new cymbals make the band's classics sound better.

I do appreciate drummers use other gear and change their minds. I just wonder if he appreciates Paiste as much if/when he went to Zildjian or Meinl.
I couldn’t care less what he uses, to be honest. If he’s happy, I’m happy.

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Guy can groove.
I just have a hard time taking him serious with the whole 60 year old trying to be 20