Chad Smith At Slane Castle

nmosko

Reaction score
Hey! Here’s a link from google where it looks like some folks have it, but they are all on the PEarl forum. The PDF is out of service right now so the link won’t work at the moment. Give it a few hours or a day and the forum should be back online! Pearl made these drums in a short-lived series called MSX (masters retrospec) which were just 6-ply MRX drums with some retro finishes. This one was called blue swirl. As far as the specs from Shane castle:

24x16, 12x10, 14x14, 16x16, pearl Sensitone Classic II snare. Clear emperors and ambassador resos. Clear PS3 kick head. The Sabian cymbals are the same he’s used for years, which include the xcelerator hats and a couple of signature crashes. And a 21” rock ride from the AA series. Hope this helps chief!!

Fun fact: I own the SCII snare drum he used at this show!

also, in the Pearl music city custom line, you can get a finish called “blue satin moire” which is pretty much exact. Here’s a photo! It’s not exact, but dang if it’s not gorgeous!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

nmosko

Reaction score
Chad's drums on the video has some red in it. The one you're showing us doesn't.
The one in the photos isn’t the same. it’s the closest thing I see on Pearl’s current offerings, but it’s not exact. “Pretty much exact” was a poor choice of words. Also I meant to type that some folks have something close to it. I ended up making a good bit of edits to my original post which muddled things up.

While Pearl has mass produced the two very similar finishes, they aren’t the exact one he used on that tour (and the dvd obviously) so I’d bet that it was a custom made from the Masterworks team. There’s a guy on the Pearl forum called Al Percival. He’s been with Pearl forever and is a living encyclopedia on these matters. He may have the best answer for you! Heck, he’s probably the guy who sent the final specs in to get the finish done lol. If you do contact him though, fill us in on what exactly the deal is with it, because I really want to know myself now!