Chambers playing Tool, after 1 listen.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I saw him in clinic,Dennis starts this polyrrhythmic groove,,mesmerizing groove than drops a one handed single stroke roll down the toms in the middle of it!
Jaws dropped!

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
That showed up in my YT feed a couple of days ago too.

I've got to admit I'm fascinated with these types of videos in that they give you the best chance to get inside an artist's head, to understand their thought process and approach to a piece of music.
Another aspect that makes it interesting is Dennis was presented with a drumless verion of this track and thus we get a real impression of how quickly he can interpret the music part originally and not just how quickly he can copy a drum part. I hope Drumeo will do more vids like this and spend more interview time on the artist's thought process, what they're hearing and then the approach they've chosen to apply.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Great minds think alike ... I posted the same video within three minutes of pgm554's post.

To me, it's a demonstration of how wide the gulf is between pros and mortal men. It's almost a wizarding level of skill for him to get through the end as well as he did.

Tool now knows who to call if Danny Carey's airport antics get him locked up again.

TomC727

Reaction score
I saw this video a couple days ago. Awesome!!!

I was impressed that Dennis laid down the groove very similar to the original ,yet had never heard Danny Carey's track.

Framecode

Reaction score
I saw this video a couple days ago. Awesome!!!

I was impressed that Dennis laid down the groove very similar to the original ,yet had never heard Danny Carey's track.
Tbh I feel like this has a lot
To do with the way tool / western musicians tend to spell out the count of odd time signatures rather than the sort of long/short pulse based approach you hear in Balkan/Arabic music.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wild. He's just feeling it out, a wildly technical song, and he still sounds like Dennis Chambers. He just naturally plays that way. Makes you appreciate how guys like him and Gadd can immediately put their fingerprint on a song when they're still just playing for the music, and a lot of times they do it without being a member of the band.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
TBH it didn't flow much to my ear, but it was interesting to hear and watch him develop ideas for the track.

Although he said it wasn't his thing and he'd refuse it for session work, I'd love to hear what he'd do if he accepted it anyway and went to town on it. That would probably be amazing.

Another way to look at it is - what would Tool sound like without the other DC? He's ingrained in their sound so much that it would make a huge difference with another drummer.

membertwo

Reaction score
Great minds think alike ... I posted the same video within three minutes of pgm554's post.

To me, it's a demonstration of how wide the gulf is between pros and mortal men. It's almost a wizarding level of skill for him to get through the end as well as he did.

Tool now knows who to call if Danny Carey's airport antics get him locked up again.
Danny at the airport, "But I'm the drummer for Tool"

44Ronin

Reaction score
Tbh I feel like this has a lot
To do with the way tool / western musicians tend to spell out the count of odd time signatures rather than the sort of long/short pulse based approach you hear in Balkan/Arabic music.
Absolutely.
In Turkish, commonly they are known as Aksak rhythms. Aksak literally means limping. The approach is entirely different.

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When will we see Danny play this?

Or this?

I caught him with VOLTO in the Magic Bag, a small venue in Ferndale, and he hit so hard, I could feel the air move from him hitting his crashes. Fun show!

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This showed up on my instagram feed a few days ago :)

Dennis is just on another level…not because of this video of course.

I still remember when he sat in with my best friends band who was playing at the Bitter End in NYC. They did John Scofield’s So You Say…ridiculous.

Poor drummer that had to finish the show…J/K their drummer was badass as well, just not Dennis!

Framecode

Reaction score
Absolutely.
In Turkish, commonly they are known as Aksak rhythms. Aksak literally means limping. The approach is entirely different
I was pretty done with odd time stuff due to the way you hear prog and math rock bands approaching it until I started learning this type of approach, totally opened up my ears.