Champagne Sparkle Slingerland (I have the best wife ever!)

varatrodder

Reaction score
I found these on the GC site, and my wife told me to buy them. Who am I to argue? Honestly though, she's just really tired of hearing me talk about how much I want a champagne sparkle Slingerland kit. Plus they're 12, 13, 16, 20...the sizes I prefer.

They appear to be in pretty good condition...nothing a clean up and a few replacement parts can't fix. I think the icing on the cake is the brass snare, snare stand and pedal.

Edit: They arrived. I added info and photos in a response below.

slingy 1.jpg

slingy 2.jpg

slingy 3.jpg

Last edited:

Flamomattic

Reaction score
Nice set ! Congratulations, it’s excellent when our wives support our musical adventures! Happy new year !

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations! I have the same set in 3-ply silver sparkle and they are gems. Play them in good health and kiss your wife for us!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very nice! Looks like either a Modern Solo or New Rock. Only difference was the hardware that came with each kit. As for the shells on yours, I'd say they are the 3-ply shells...maple/poplar/mahogany. The rounded edges will give a beautiful vintage tone. Enjoy!

-Mark

varatrodder

Reaction score
Very nice! Looks like either a Modern Solo or New Rock. Only difference was the hardware that came with each kit. As for the shells on yours, I'd say they are the 3-ply shells...maple/poplar/mahogany. The rounded edges will give a beautiful vintage tone. Enjoy!

-Mark
Based on the hardware, it's a New Rock Outfit. The Modern Solo had flat based stands. The t-handles indicate it is a late 70's kit.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice set. I'd vote for 3 ply too. Champagne sparkle was waning in popularity by the mid-70's. It doesn't show up in the 1976 or 1977 catalogs.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's great when wives support us. Mine got me an ekit last year so I can play when I want to without disturbing the house. Oh and congrats on the new set. Looks pretty good from the pics.

varatrodder

Reaction score
That style T handle first appeared in '70. Nice kit. Please post some serial numbers for these.
Will do. I probably won't get them until late next week, but I'll post the numbers and details once they arrive.

I believe that t-handle first came into use around 1975-76. Looking online, the 1976 catalog shows those t-handles.

Last edited:

varatrodder

Reaction score
I called the store to double check on the shells, and they confirmed they are the 3-ply shells. The guy I spoke with is the one who brought in the kit, and he is a bit of a vintage drum guy himself. He said overall the kit is in really good condition - pretty clean, wrap in good condition, etc.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will do. I probably won't get them until late next week, but I'll post the numbers and details once they arrive.

I believe that t-handle first came into use around 1975-76. Looking online, the 1976 catalog shows those t-handles.
The Slingerland set I got new in '72 or '73 had those T rods.

varatrodder

Reaction score
The drums arrived today and I am really happy with them. To my surprise, it included ALL of the hardware for the set - snare stand, hi hat stand, 2 cymbal stands and bass drum pedal.

The wrap is tight and intact, but certainly could use a good cleaning and polishing (gotta bust out the Mothers). Same for the chrome, but no major pitting or damage. The hoop inlays will need to be replaced.

The edges are really nice and only have 2 very minor areas of ply separation. The edges are 30 degree round over, as opposed to the baseball bat edges. The interiors are chocolate milk.

Based on the serial numbers, badges, hardware, etc. the drums are 1970-1972.

Aside from some rubber feet, there are only a few hardware bits missing. The drums themselves are original and intact. Some of them even have the original Slingerland heads, and the snare has the original wires.

This is going to be a fun project, and I will start a new thread about the refurb process. In the mean time, here are some photos:

jmetatual

Reaction score
Looks good. Nicely clustered serials. 44xxx (black/silver oval) are expected for '71.