Change my mind - Die cast hoops suck on snare drums

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Let’s hear whatha got!

I’ve got a USA custom that I recently swapped out w 302s - Bang - infinitely more open, warm, and rim shots sound great. Same with my SQ2 snare.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not a fan of die cast hoops on most snares ... some do ok, though.
Noble & Cooley dropped die cast hoops several years ago on their SS snares. He said it really opened up those solid wood snares.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't mind the die cast on my USA Custom. Still getting used to it but I like it. Sound is different but it sounds correct for that particular snare.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Generally I don’t like them on snare drums and I wrote them off for many years but I had to eat my hat when I got my solid Tama Star Maple snare and my Gretsch USA Bell Brass. I always try different hoops on new snare drums but those two just sounded way better with the DC’s to my ears. On the Tama solid I run a die-cast on top, triple flange on bottom.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I prefer die cast on all my snare drums. I get the Ludwig version most of the time, although one of my Yamahas has their aluminum hoops.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you want open, twangy, not too piercing, go for thin triple flange hoops.
If you want focussed, with a piercing attack on rimshots, go die-cast.
In any case, if you like playing loud rimshots, use hearing protection!
Totally agree!
Spot on! Lol

phdamage

Reaction score
if i wasn't so cheap, i'd prob have die casts on all of my snares, if not all my kits. i prefer the aforementioned piercing attack and just prefer the feel of them on all my rim shots. my N&C solid maple, black beauty, and cold rolled steel custom beast got em.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Starclassic G Maple sounds great. Maybe it would sound better with pressed hoops...never tried it.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It depends on the snare drum. I usually buy a drum for the sound I'm hearing, so I just go with the whole package and don't worry about the hoops. Usually, I strongly prefer drums without die casts, but I love both my Yamaha drums that have them (Recording Custom Aluminum 5.5 and AHM 6x14). The aluminum die casts are pretty great.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It works on most for me. And it depends on the hoop material too.

It works killer on my cast bronze to tame the ring a bit, yet gives the snare extra crack. I don’t even have to flip the stick with rim clicks.

Renoroger

Reaction score
Yamaha Aluminium die cast = good. Otherwise: triple flange.
I recently received a pair of diecast aluminum hoops directly from China like are on some of my Yamaha drums. I couldn’t resist the price which was $41 for the pair (shipped) and I put them on a 5 1/2 inch copper Yamaha concert series snare drum that I wanted to love but could not get happening. I have to say that the diecast in aluminum just smoothEd out the copper overtones and seemed to snug up the fundamental pitch to a very pleasing and usable tone! And, I got them in 11 days!...

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Let’s hear whatha got!

I’ve got a USA custom that I recently swapped out w 302s - Bang - infinitely more open, warm, and rim shots sound great. Same with my SQ2 snare.
I've never liked die cast hoops and get rid of them when them come on snare drums (or any other drums) that I acquire. But ... BUT, I play live. If I were a studio drummer I might feel differently. Same with moongel. Never used it' never will. But if I found myself in a studio I might think it was indispensable.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Depends on the drum, the heads and the sound you want. If you want Roy Haynes, go 3 flanged. If you like Tony, Art, Elvin, DCR's will get it.

Reactions: JDA

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I heard die cast on a 80s 6.5x14 Black Beauty snare, sounded awesome. But on a wood snare that already is somewhat boxy sounding, such as your gretsch wood snare, I could see how a person might try to open the sound up with triple flanged hoops. Seriously though I don't give it much thought, and most of my drums aren't die cast, simply because they didn't come with them.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It depends on the snare drum. I usually buy a drum for the sound I'm hearing, so I just go with the whole package and don't worry about the hoops. Usually, I strongly prefer drums without die casts, but I love both my Yamaha drums that have them (Recording Custom Aluminum 5.5 and AHM 6x14). The aluminum die casts are pretty great.
I just put aluminum cast hoops on my BB and it tamed the overtones a bit but mostly Kept the sound I love

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I believe they take a different "aim"* to get accurate with but once you do.....look out..
they're / I find 'em/ dead-on reliable.
*mentally and physically
It's an ear adjustment your 'ear --thru your hand..finds the spot and doesn't let go..

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To the OP: I'm not gonna try to change your mind, but I generally love what diecasts do for snares 5.5" and deeper. I have nothing against triple flange, and fully half of my snares have them, but diecast hoops (and especially Sonor's Hella hoops, since you mentioned SQ2) definitely bring something great to the table, notably in the sound and feel of the drum.

Latest posts