Change my mind - Die cast hoops suck on snare drums

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually changed to N&C's because my 3 limited edition Craviotto snares didn't keep their tuning. All 3 lost the bottom head tension so quickly that I often had to look for fallen rods from the floor after a gig. And no, I don't hit hard. It was a systematic problem with their nob tube lugs, and now I'm really happy with my 2 N&C SS snares that I got instead. Hold the tuning really well and sound is just as good if not better.
View attachment 451178
Wow. I thought I was the only one. It was one of the reasons I sold my rare Butternut.

I even lost a lug amd had to travelto get it back from a drummer friend who found it later that night (I had to leave early).

Renoroger

Reaction score
Keep an eye out on eBay, couple sellers selling aluminum die cast snare hoops for way cheaper direct from China. I have a set. Not finished as cleanly as the Yamaha’s, but sound the same.
Me too! They worked great!

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
If you like diecast & you like triple flanged, you may want to give S hoops a try. I got a Tama shell 8x14 maple artwood with all the hardware for 5 bucks. No hoops, heads or snares. I thought about diecast but something(money) made me try S hoops top & bottom. After putting 30 strand & later 20 strand snares on with coated ambassador top & clear snare side bottom; wow. I never played an 8" deep snare on a kit. It's now one of my favorite drums. I have a 5.5 deep version of the same drum with the stock Tama hoops. The 8" sounds better imo and feels better. You all know this is subjective but if you want to try S hoops I can say for the money it's a good option. I think this shell is just a good one and would probably work well with tfh/diecast. Sometimes you just score a great drum. By my experience I would get more S hoops to try on a Supra that I currently have diecast on.

toddbishop

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't really like them either. The triple flanged hoops make nicer rim shots, and I play a lot of rim shots. I don't not-like the die cast enough to ever get around to changing them however-- I have two drums with them that I use regularly. I just play the the things, and it's fine.