Change of average stick size over decades?

Johnny K

Reaction score
Realize that the Vic BR sticks were nothing like what Buddy used. He used a number of different sticks over his career, from Rogers, Slingerland, and Ludwig. Cappella made a model typical of his sticks that were slightly thinner than 5a with a teardrop bead. I have a couple of pair, and they are much lighter and faster than the Vic’s.

View attachment 391339

I knew. I only have a couple pair. I like the Jack D sticks more. Almost a 5b Diameter but same length as the BR ones. Found them recently in a natural finish. Good stick for hitting harder than swing. Thanks for the info on the Capellas. I’m going to check those out.

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Question wasn't whether a range of stick sizes were produced during any time period. Perhaps I'll re-iterate the question here with the key word 'use'

Was there an evolution to using larger stick sizes with more amplified music through the 70's? Did 7A stay in use mostly in lower volume jazz? Was 5A as commonly used in the 60's as today?

Some of you guys were around and it sounds like the answer is maybe not.

chollyred

Reaction score
Back in the 60s when I started playing, I used ProMark 2Bs (oak). As time marched on, I ended up playing 5ANs for a long time. Tried the Dave Weckl signatures for a while, but they felt slick, and I really didn't like the tiny barrel tips. Now that good old arthritis is setting in, I find that I hang onto the 2Bs better now.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I started in'61 used 5A's and 7A's,($.50 a pr then) switched to 5B's in the '90's
I can play whisper quiet or loud as hell with 5B's, don't need rods or small sticks for low volume.
I knew a jazz player who used 'Pencil sticks' back then, have't seen those available for a long time.

Igen Drum Sticks

Making Drumsticks since 1984
Reaction score
Question wasn't whether a range of stick sizes were produced during any time period. Perhaps I'll re-iterate the question here with the key word 'use'

Was there an evolution to using larger stick sizes with more amplified music through the 70's? Did 7A stay in use mostly in lower volume jazz? Was 5A as commonly used in the 60's as today?

Igen Drum Sticks

Making Drumsticks since 1984
Reaction score
I can tell you over the last 35 years, daily lately I am making larger sticks with thicker necks occasionally vintage 15 a and quite a few 11a but to me the trend is for fat thick sticks rarely 7a. That being said, the drummers are often touring punk bands and I think stick size at least for me has been following the music being played.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've come down to a 1a. I had a hard time hding on to 5a's when I started playing so my drum teacher suggested larger sticks. Worked pretty well. I of course took it an extreme and was playing a kit with full on marching sticks. But with age and wisdom I realized that I was fatigued to quickly using those and gradually moved down. First to regal 3000s (unless those are the marching stick, so it could be the 9000) then to vic firth american metal (Tommy Lee sig at the time) and then Vater Rock and finally the Vater 1a.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I started in'61 used 5A's and 7A's,($.50 a pr then) switched to 5B's in the '90's
I can play whisper quiet or loud as hell with 5B's, don't need rods or small sticks for low volume.
I knew a jazz player who used 'Pencil sticks' back then, have't seen those available for a long time.
Regal "Combo's" qualify as pencil stick...still available.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

5As were around, in fact Regal's "Rock" model was a 5A by all standards but it had a larger tip. The same model today is a bit fatter with a shorter taper.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’d agree that it follows the trends in music. Some jazz drummers favor bigger sticks, they might get more control. Louis Hayes and Greg Hutchinson come to mind. But they younger punk and rock drummers? Big lumber for sure

cplueard

Reaction score
The bigger trend I've noticed is that they're definitely longer. It seems like it gets less and less common to see things under 16" as far as drumset sticks go. I'm waiting on the average to be 16.5 so there's even more options available.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
For many years I only played Regal Tips. Sticks that I still have from the 70's and even 80's were thinner in diameter and had longer tapers.

I have hung on to these sticks and kept them alive with sanding and shellac...they fill a gap not available today.
That's interesting. Perhaps the stick makers increased the sizes of their models to accommodate rock players.

I bought a block of Regal Tip 5A nylons about 8 years ago. They didn't seem any different from the ones I remember from the 70's. I still have some of them.

But maybe things have changed since then, or my memory is bad! :occasion5: