Channeling Max Weinberg

ThomFloor

Reaction score
FWIW, the album version of "Born To Run" has Boom Carter on the drums. That song was recorded long before the rest of the album, by which time Max had joined the E Street Band.
Wow, thanks, never knew, nor bothered to look it up. Its a fantastic drum part. Boy I feel foolish not knowing that it was recorded before the other songs but there it is on wiki.
Funny, Max gets an identical sort of feel to that one on Thunder Road.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well that was an interesting read. Serious article though, it was like reading an autobiography. Out of curiosity what was your opinion of Weinberg before reading this article?
Too simplistic .

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It is interesting how people see certain drummers differently. I love the way this guy plays, specifically his fills, energy and also, the more I listen, his backbeats. This guy loves his 2&4. Springsteen put his vocals on that backbeat and it gives this music a very powerful feel.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
To paraphrase John Lennon, Max isn't even the best Weinberg to ever play in the E Street Band. That'd be Jay Weinberg of Slipknot.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks, never knew, nor bothered to look it up. Its a fantastic drum part. Boy I feel foolish not knowing that it was recorded before the other songs but there it is on wiki.
Funny, Max gets an identical sort of feel to that one on Thunder Road.
In the Born to Run documentary Max talks about not being able to play the syncopated bridge fill in it, so he just stopped trying and played through it. I take my being able to play it as a point of pride, as an otherwise meat-and-potatoes drummer.

polycrescendo

Reaction score
To paraphrase John Lennon, Max isn't even the best Weinberg to ever play in the E Street Band. That'd be Jay Weinberg of Slipknot.

Don't get me wrong here, I love metal drumming more than most people in this forum, but this is garbage drumming. Sloppy, cheap, ego driven stuff that should be weeded out before you leave the garage. I love that Jay joined Slipknot but man, this drumming makes metal drummers look bad. Max blows this away with his hand technique and solid timing, something Jay should take note of. :happy7:

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Max is certainly no slouch but I prefer Vinnies playing. Used to see those guys in Asbury when they were just starting out , just amazing raw energy. Max to me is a pretty basic solid driving no frills Rock drummer with the ability to swing hard, yeah he’s got that going on.
My understanding is Vinnie was fired because of his time. If you've seen the documentary "The Promise" the making of Darkness At The Edge of Town, Max was under a lot of pressure from Bruce and Jimmy Iovine about song tempos. It was as close as he ever came to being fired, other than when Bruce fired the whole band in 1989. But count me in as a huge fan. I'd say he's underrated. Listen to some of the stuff he played on The River. "Two Hearts," "The Ties That Bind, "I"m A Rocker" for example. That's a lot of horsepower in the "chops" department.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The studying is one thing, but didn’t he have to have a serious carpal tunnel surgery ? Correct me if I’m wrong

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think Max's playing is very stiff and feels center/front of beat to me with little to no swing. This happens to work nearly perfectly for Bruce's playing because the entire band plays up front. That is why they have that "energetic feel".

I don't think comparing him to Levon, who plays very much on the back of the beat with tremendous swing makes sense. I don't know who Max compares to, it's not Ringo or Charlie either (too much swing).

Maybe Neil without the chops. Although Neil pretty much sits in the middle of the beat.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
My understanding is Vinnie was fired because of his time. If you've seen the documentary "The Promise" the making of Darkness At The Edge of Town, Max was under a lot of pressure from Bruce and Jimmy Iovine about song tempos. It was as close as he ever came to being fired, other than when Bruce fired the whole band in 1989. But count me in as a huge fan. I'd say he's underrated. Listen to some of the stuff he played on The River. "Two Hearts," "The Ties That Bind, "I"m A Rocker" for example. That's a lot of horsepower in the "chops" department.
I’ll have to ck that out. Vinnie sounded great to me I , more of a 60’ 70’s rock feel . We cover Rosalita I channel Vin haha

Last Bruce show I saw in Jersey we were 10 rows up on the backside of the stage Birdseye view of Max he was crushing it for 4 hrs straight talk about energy and stamina , te dudes a machine. It was fun to watch him work. He doesn’t miss a trick. Sitting right on top of his bass drum is a screen of Bruce so he could see the cues cause Bruce is full of surprises , he ‘s totally impromtu calling songs from his head , no set list and he moves fast one right into the other. Quite a storyteller and showman.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I attached a photo of a setlist Bruce Springsteen wrote by hand for his March 18, 2012, show in Atlanta. He sometimes deviates, but there is a setlist.

Attachments

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
The only time i saw Max was when he was playing with Southside Johnny in the mid 70's, at the Paradise in Boston. Based on that experience i would say Max is a "show" drummer, from all the years of pumping horn bands. He played hard back then, and maybe that went after his wrists. He was actually on the tube explaining it all...80's maybe. When he plays nothing is missing in the band. He also had back problems and may be why he appears stiff.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only time i saw Max was when he was playing with Southside Johnny in the mid 70's, at the Paradise in Boston. Based on that experience i would say Max is a "show" drummer, from all the years of pumping horn bands. He played hard back then, and maybe that went after his wrists. He was actually on the tube explaining it all...80's maybe. When he plays nothing is missing in the band. He also had back problems and may be why he appears stiff.
Exactly. If you look at his arm motion from the 70s and early 80s, you can see he's coming from a "show drummer" style. His carpal tunnel was the result of hitting really hard, combined with 4+ hour shows and probably six shows per week back then. The last time I saw him with Bruce (Feb 2016) I was experiencing back problems and he suggested sitting higher, which I did, and it helped.

fullsizeoutput_2b4b.jpeg