Channeling Max Weinberg

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Wow! I saw Springsteen opening for Black Oak Arkansas on January 19, 1974 at the Kent State University Ballroom. I had never heard of him, and had gone to see BOA (Hey, I was 16, and I REALLY went to see Tommy Aldridge!).
Even at that tender age, I had to admit the unknown-to-me opening act blew BOA off the stage (except Tommy's solo!!).
Of course, when Springsteen and the East St. Band went on to super-stardom, I always assumed I had seen Max way-back-when. In looking it up, Vinnie was fired in February of that year, so that's who I saw with Bruce. I never heard of him until today!

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think Max's playing is very stiff and feels center/front of beat to me with little to no swing. This happens to work nearly perfectly for Bruce's playing because the entire band plays up front. That is why they have that "energetic feel".

I don't think comparing him to Levon, who plays very much on the back of the beat with tremendous swing makes sense. I don't know who Max compares to, it's not Ringo or Charlie either (too much swing).

Maybe Neil without the chops. Although Neil pretty much sits in the middle of the beat.
Smoking live video from the '70s. Bruce is feeling it on the intro guitar solo
Que (3:00).
...good, bad or indifferent the description of Max as stiff is physical, too.
Que (3:43) time stamp. Looks like a robot.

Last edited:

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
What was Dino Danelli's reasoning? He also sat very straight, and by right started a whole style of playing for NY area drummers...like me. Barbata was another one. This was straight ahead playing, only catching horn stabs with a few slow rolls here and there.

To me the perfect tune of that era was "Talk To Me" by Southside. There were bands playing up and down the east coast in this fashion. Even some of the motown players had that quarter note snare thing going on. It was a VERY common stance and probably a hold over for Max because he also grew up with this.

Last edited:

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Smoking live video from the '70s. Bruce is feeling it on the intro guitar solo
Que (3:00).
...good, bad or indifferent the description of Max as stiff is physical, too.
Que (3:43) time stamp. Looks like a robot.
I really like Bruce. Great songs, great showmanship. His guitar playing is an entirely other story though. Yeesh!

Is he even in tune?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After tomorrow, all you haters will be referring to him as Dr. Max Weinberg! The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer is being awarded a Doctorate by Lafayette College.

I don't think anyone was hating on him. Just discussing his style and playing. That's great he's getting an "unearned" Doctorate. Cosby has one of those also. LOL

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think anyone was hating on him. Just discussing his style and playing. That's great he's getting an "unearned" Doctorate. Cosby has one of those also. LOL
Paradiddle, you can be a real tool sometimes. If Ringo can get a Knighthood and I have never once seen him joust, then ole Max can have his fake Doctorate. Get with the program.