Chanute Camco restoration - by Chris Heuer at Heuer's Drum Lab

Reaction score
Here is a restoration I can not take credit for. I found this Chanute kit which had been painted an off white color that faded over time into a very ugly yellow shade. After stripping the paint off I realized I should turn them over to Chris Heuer at Heuer's Drum Lab. What he did is nothing short of amazing - I found an old set of Camco bass drum hoops and he painstakingly matched the finish. He and I agreed to not put a full gloss clear coat as that would not be very authentic - this is closer to a semi gloss sheen.

This is a factory set - 13/14/16/24, of course all 6 ply Jasper shells, clear interiors. Yes they sound good. Real good.

Chris has been focusing on building his own custom drums but if you need a refinish and he can squeeze you in, do it.

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, those look fantastic! They really look original. You may not have done the work on this one, but together you and Chris rescued another Camco kit.

Do you like the sound of the Chanutes? My 10x14 sounds wonderful. I'd love to get mine looking like these.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fantastic job on bringing those back - congratulations! Now all we need is a sound file...

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow - they look amazing......but I also dig the old color, too.........I've yet to see/play Camco drums live.....can't wait to find a set hopefully soon!

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
JazzDrumGuy said:
Wow - they look amazing......but I also dig the old color, too.........I've yet to see/play Camco drums live.....can't wait to find a set hopefully soon!
If you dig the old color, I have a 22/12/13/16 Camco kit that is originally Alice Cooper White that someone painted over... PM me if you are interested.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Beautiful restoration job on those beauties !!

I would assume this thread will throw some work to Chris !

Hey, Vinny uses Chris, so does Mario ! ;-) :)

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
I normally don't like wood finish drums. But, that Camco set is beautiful.

DWHOARD

Reaction score
Chris is the MAN! he does all my drums and has never let me down!

Nice rig!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've known Chris for well over a decade now! When it comes to both vintage and more modern restorations, Chris is THE MAN! Chris is basically a 1-man business, so if you need work done quickly you should look elsewhere. But, if you want first-rate work, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone better.

Here's a sample of Chris's custom paint jobs. This started out life as a 2006 Pearl Export kit, wrapped in Gun Metal Sparkle, and morphed into a "Masters style" kit, complete with a hand painted "Deep Blue Marine" finish. The gorgeous automotive paint was applied over a Deep Black base coat, followed by multiple layers of clear coat. Smooth as a baby's bottom! I have 2 snare drums for the kit. One is a custom built 5.5x14 with a Keller shell, with the other being a Free Floating snare. Thanks Chris!

-Mark

Attachments

Latest posts