Charlie Watts - Almost Late to the Game Early Live Spot on Ed Sullivan

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We 've seen plenty of lip-synched performances from the 60s where "no way!" could the drums be played the way they are set up.

But then there's the excitement of live TV...as in this clip, where our beloved Charlie is, um, almost late to the game.

And, we've seen plenty of lip-synched videos of songs that fade-out on record leaving the band to sort of look like they all just sort of stopped playing. But then there's live TV, when the reverse happens - "how do we end this one?"

And he's in a hurry to get off that drum stool as soon as it's over...maybe something in the Green Room catering?

Still and all, kudos to the Stones & Sullivan for plugging in the guitars.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hilarious — thanks!

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
charlie out front where he belongs.

he got out of there quick too.

robert palmer did the same thing a couple times on the letterman show. it's all timing.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love it. And of course he’s playing his sky blue Ludwig’s because it’s pre 1968. So many people assume he’s played Gretsch from the beginning but he was a Ludwig man from 1965 until 1968. Premier from 1963-1965.

And @JDA you’re right - he didn’t start lifting off the hi-hat on “4” until the early 80s. Charlie’s the best!

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
And @JDA you’re right - he didn’t start lifting off the hi-hat on “4” until the early 80s. Charlie’s the best!
I used to think it was mid-70s, when Ollie Brown was the Stones' percussionist. I (wrongly) figured Ollie was an influence on the hi hat "lifting". I've since come to realize Charlie was doing it further back in 1973.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Charlie is hitting all rimshots with that.

Mick in that video looks like a good childhood friend of mine which isn't a compliment lol but nonetheless loved that video.

Tarkus

Reaction score
I used to think it was mid-70s, when Ollie Brown was the Stones' percussionist. I (wrongly) figured Ollie was an influence on the hi hat "lifting". I've since come to realize Charlie was doing it further back in 1973.

Rumor has it that it came from Levon Helm.

Jim Keltner mentioned in an interview that he (Jim) saw Levon Helm playing like that. He copied it and played songs at the 'Concert for Bangladesh' in this style. Charlie Watts was there as well, saw it, and made it 'his style' afterwards. So I guess, there is no recording of Charlie playing this style before August 1971.
BTW: this all went on without saying a single word.
One other thing: you can't play a song like this without changing its style. It just 'works'.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
We 've seen plenty of lip-synched performances from the 60s where "no way!" could the drums be played the way they are set up.

But then there's the excitement of live TV...as in this clip, where our beloved Charlie is, um, almost late to the game.

And, we've seen plenty of lip-synched videos of songs that fade-out on record leaving the band to sort of look like they all just sort of stopped playing. But then there's live TV, when the reverse happens - "how do we end this one?"

And he's in a hurry to get off that drum stool as soon as it's over...maybe something in the Green Room catering?

Still and all, kudos to the Stones & Sullivan for plugging in the guitars.

Just noticed ...

They were all wearing suit jackets. And, all closed the top button on their shirts.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I noticed that he and Ringo hit the snare like this. Almost laying into the drum. Alex Van Halen does this too. I hit a lot of rim shots but my hand always come up from the snare. I think I would get shock in my arm hitting the drum like that. Obviously this technique works fine for all of them. Very cool video!