Charlie Watts Collection pontification

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Recently watched Steve Maxwell's tribute to Charlie on you tube where he said there were literally hundreds of boxes of drums in storage and wondering what all is in there and how it would affect the vintage drum market if all of that is put up for sale,I know Charlie liked to collect things that belonged to drummers he admired,but it sounds like he liked regular vintage gear also.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird to own hundreds of boxes of drums, but not have a set at home...

Yeah, when I heard that, I wondered if he actually cared to own much personally or if it was just mostly owned by The Rolling Stones, inc.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah people said this about Bill Bruford too but when he went Graham Russell, I don’t remember seeing the market get affected. Maxwell may be vying for the sell off.

DD

Reaction score
Sounds like Charlie had collected just premier (not with capital P) prominent sets though owned by big names in jazz. Plus the provenance of follow up ownership by Charlie… I imagine those drums would be an auction type sale and prices skew really high! So not sure how it would affect average vintage drum sales…

kallen49

Reaction score
It's possible Charlie has 10 times what Bill Bruford had?
Web says Charlie's net worth was $250 million. I'd guess the handful of drummers in that monetary bracket will be willing to pay. Didn't an NFL owner pay 2 million for a Beatles kit?

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s my understanding that Charlie was quite the collector and if I remember correctly at one time owned one of the extremely rare Gladstone kits in existence. He also purchased whatever was left of Gene Krupa’s drums that had been stored since his passing. I haven’t watched the Maxwell video yet but will since I like that kinda stuff.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
should also be mentioned inside that story from maxwell Charlie understanding Morello was near or at the end of his days coughed up what it took to own all joe's drums and cymbals and Joe's family thanked him Same might have went with what cymbals Tony at the sale of those to Charlie helped Colleen (I suspect they were the early EAKs not the O ks)

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Even if Charlie trafficked in dozens and dozens of the "lifting seams and swapped mounts" kits schlubs such as myself buy, they'd all be "CHARLIE WATTS OWNED DRUMS [email protected]@K [email protected] (((((([email protected]@)))))" kits. I don't think dumping a thousand such celeb kits would effect where I live and play.

But a meaningful chunk of The Boomers checking out of the hobby will, because we own the same crap.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Considering the historical value of much of this collection, particularly to the vaulted genre of jazz, and considering the wealth in his estate, I’m holding out hope that family members decide to create The Charlie Watts Museum. He probably owned some property in a London that could house it.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He had so many drums he didn’t even know what he had. In Maxwell’s interview Steve says that Charlie didn’t even know that he still had his original sky blue pearl Ludwig kit, he thought it was given away or something.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charlie may have purchased drum sets owned by famous drummer, but some may have not had any other potential buyers. He was saving them for posterity when posterity didn't give two hoots and a holler. Many of the sets he owned may not have many potential buyers even now if the drummer was too obscure for anyone to care. The first step is to have an inventory available to see what is actually there in storage.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna be so pissed if it turns out he has one of the five 24" B/O Ludwigs in champagne sparkle with a rail and they put it up for $10k.

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has the white Billy Gladstone kit apparently too…