Charlie Watts - New Book

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I bought a new book last night at a big book store.

It's called "Sympathy For The Drummer; Why Charlie Watts Matters" by Mike Edison.

I can't wait to delve into it. Has anyone read it yet? Is it a good one?

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I read it but wasn't impressed. Way too much journalistic babbling, platitudes, pseudo analysis about the Stones, no new insights about Charlie. And I'm a major Stones/Charlie fan. But I'm usually an outlier in opinions so just my 2 cents.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but Steve Gorman's book "Hard To Handle" is really excellent. I highly recommend it. And Kenny Aronoff's book too.
I am looking forward to this book of Charlie.

Gorman's book - an enjoyable, funny odyssey about being in a 'band', but almost no talk of drums or drumming, not on the making of the music either, more of the biz and band drama
Aronoff - great read at its front end, but towards the end became a daily read of his drumming dates

A lot of these drummer autobios (Collins, Baker....) start off good about views on drums, music, or philosophy of drumming but then devolve to all the personal pain once the 'fame' comes.
I still love the Bruford and Blaine books the most because they speak mostly of music or the business of being a drummer.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a new book last night at a big book store.

It's called "Sympathy For The Drummer; Why Charlie Watts Matters" by Mike Edison.

I can't wait to delve into it. Has anyone read it yet? Is it a good one?
Yes. I have and listened to the Audible version read by the author. You will like it.

What It Is

Reaction score
Working through it now and like it. You have to know Mike Edison to appreciate his style of writing. It's a love letter to both the Stones and Charlie in the vein of Hunter S. Thompson. Charlie does indeed matter.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I read it but wasn't impressed. Way too much journalistic babbling, platitudes, pseudo analysis about the Stones, no new insights about Charlie. And I'm a major Stones/Charlie fan. But I'm usually an outlier in opinions so just my 2 cents.
I totally agree. I'm about half-way through and am totally disappointed. I do NOT like this author's style of writing at all. The first few chapters weren't even about Charlie. Heck, they weren't even about the Rolling Stones. If I didn't actually pay for this book I would already have thrown it out. Next time I'll check my local library first.

Now to find a biography that is actually about Charlie, and not about how many nonsensical words the author can insert into a sentence.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but Steve Gorman's book "Hard To Handle" is really excellent. I highly recommend it. And Kenny Aronoff's book too.
Aronoff's book is a great read but he must have ADHD the way it shifts topics between paragraphs so frequently.

Tufty

Reaction score
I confess I have not read the book and I will for sure, but I always wonder why the world thinks it needs to defend Charlie. Or Ringo for that matter.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On a FB post, the widow of Stan Levey was very disappointed wth CW for not focusing more on her husband; especially the on the cover. There is a video on the tube of CW and Keltner visiting them in CA before he passed

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Okay, I finally finished the book, and will give my final assessment, if anyone cares.

This books sucks.

Along with the disappointments that I mentioned earlier, very little of this book is actually about Charlie.

The biggest concentration of the book that is about Charlie is in chapter 10 called "Where's My Drummer". Yeah, there are snippets here and there, and a lot of them are repeated throughout the book.

Skip this one unless you really want to know more about the Rolling Stones.

Last edited:

Tufty

Reaction score
But what could be written about the Stones that hasn’t already been written? Sorry to hear it isn’t worth the read. I always loved Charlie and was hoping for some cool insight from him.