Charlie Watts - New Book

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes bigbonzo ( what the hell does that mean anyway?), that's my name.
Not your real name: Brad M. Carlson better known by the stage name Bun E. Carlos

And, so what? Bigbonzo is the name I chose for this website, as most folks make up a name. Why is that so funny? Apparently, I'm just as entertained by Bun E as you are bigbonzo. It's too funny that you're using that as an insult.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The checks say Bun E. Carlos! (And, I don't hide behind an avatar name on this site.)
You shouldn't get so bent out of shape because you thought you were getting a biography on Mr. Watts. Apparently, you are the only one who didn't figure out the book is an appreciation of a great drummer, not a warts and all bio........
See ya around like a donut! B-)

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
The checks say Bun E. Carlos! (And, I don't hide behind an avatar name on this site.)
You shouldn't get so bent out of shape because you thought you were getting a biography on Mr. Watts. Apparently, you are the only one who didn't figure out the book is an appreciation of a great drummer, not a warts and all bio........
See ya around like a donut! B-)
So, you're criticizing every person that uses an avatar on this site? Wow, you are a trip.
Bent out of shape? No. I just gave my opinion about a book I read. And, no, read more closely, I'm not the only one that didn't like the book. I never said that Charlie Watts wasn't a great drummer. I said I didn't like the BOOK.
See ya around like a lifesaver! b

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Not your real name: Brad M. Carlson better known by the stage name Bun E. Carlos

And, so what? Bigbonzo is the name I chose for this website, as most folks make up a name. Why is that so funny? Apparently, I'm just as entertained by Bun E as you are bigbonzo. It's too funny that you're using that as an insult.
Wanna know something?
We've seen a number of Pro drummers come & go here at DFO. Some never to return.

Why?

Because a few pip-squeaks ended up running them off when they just wanted to participate.

Personally, I enjoy any insight from the pro drummers who visit here as it benefits this community.

Nobody likes harassment. Comprende?

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wanna know something?
We've seen a number of Pro drummers come & go here at DFO. Some never to return.

Why?

Because a few pip-squeaks ended up running them off when they just wanted to participate.

Personally, I enjoy any insight from the pro drummers who visit here as it benefits this community.

Nobody likes harassment. Comprende?
Are you accusing me of harassment, and calling me a pip-squeak? Read very carefully at the harassment that Mr. Carlos is dishing out on this thread. I expressed an opinion about a book that I read. Mr. Carlos apparently didn't like my opinion and got abusive. That's not on me, runt. Yeah, I'm calling you a runt because you decided to call me a pip-squeak. What's fair is fair.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kind of sounds like a book I once bought...”Vintage lamps of the 50s”..and on the first page..they show a 1960s lamp!

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Bigbonzo,
Why get so personal? You don't like the book. Cool, but why get so agitated. Let's not get to snarky and be good to each other.
Basically, it's a lighthearted look at Charlie and the Stones in general.
Read ALL comments directed at me because I didn't like the book and you'll see why I got so agitated.

Last edited:

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well when you put an opinion out there then some will disagree. That's why there are these over-long topics.

jb111

Reaction score
Not once upon reading that title did I ever think it would be a bio about Charlie Watts. Sympathy for the Drummer: Why Charlie Watts Matters reads more to me like a book about why a drummer who is perceived to be basic in his playing and overall approach (Ringo, too), is so integral to the success of one of the (if not THE) most successful rock band of all time. As someone that hasn't read it, I would expect it to address a broader topic. I interpreted the use of Charlie's name as more of an archetype. Not sure if that makes sense.

As someone mentioned, the cover designation of Biography is a general classification. AND these classifications are often wrong. How many times have you seen a record or band filed under a genre that had you scratching your head? Kinda the same thing.

For some reason this book just hasn't called out to me. But I did just start the Jeff Tweedy bio. We'll see where that one goes.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not once upon reading that title did I ever think it would be a bio about Charlie Watts. Sympathy for the Drummer: Why Charlie Watts Matters reads more to me like a book about why a drummer who is perceived to be basic in his playing and overall approach (Ringo, too), is so integral to the success of one of the (if not THE) most successful rock band of all time. As someone that hasn't read it, I would expect it to address a broader topic. I interpreted the use of Charlie's name as more of an archetype. Not sure if that makes sense.

As someone mentioned, the cover designation of Biography is a general classification. AND these classifications are often wrong. How many times have you seen a record or band filed under a genre that had you scratching your head? Kinda the same thing.

For some reason this book just hasn't called out to me. But I did just start the Jeff Tweedy bio. We'll see where that one goes.
Well said.

I’ve been communicating with the author, Mike Edison, since reading the book and he’s a good guy. His intentions were just that; to highlight Charlie’s importance in The Rolling Stones and in the drumming community. I think the title says it all.

I’m changing my grade from a “B” to and “A” for Mike’s effort.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I just recently noticed on the cover of the December issue of Modern Drummer magazine that it actually says "Charlie Watts: New Biography".
So, with that and that it says Biography/Music on the inside cover the only conclusion is that this book was intended to be a biography of Charlie Watts.

Everyone stay safe during the coronavirus pandemic.

Last edited:

Latest posts