Charlie watts Paiste set up 1981

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
CW MT MJ 1972.jpg
Ha ha, not doubting you - backing you up my friend! Here is a pic of Charlie from 1975 - shows him with the Black Label 2002 (see the Paiste logo on the bottom of the cymbal, folks) which must of replaced the earlier Giant Beat as you mentioned above. Proof of Charlie using Paiste for any doubters.

Any chance he played a 24" GB on the '72 tour, Johnny? A poster in one of the Paiste FB groups says he saw the tour and that Charlie's ride looked bigger than a 20".
Haha! I know todd, I was just kidding - I appreciate the backup! :) Yup, that pic is from '75. Check out their live bootleg (available as a download) "LA Friday" live at the Los Angeles Forum from July 1975 and it's pretty obvious (to me anyway) it's a Paiste. I believe it's a 20" 2002 Medium.

As to your question of him playing a 24" GB on the '72 tour... not a chance. Definitely a 20." Also check out "Ladies And Gentlemen The Rolling Stones" and there are several shots where it's obvious his ride is a 20."

CW MT MJ 1972.jpg

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, not doubting you - backing you up my friend! Here is a pic of Charlie from 1975 - shows him with the Black Label 2002 (see the Paiste logo on the bottom of the cymbal, folks) which must of replaced the earlier Giant Beat as you mentioned above. Proof of Charlie using Paiste for any doubters.

Any chance he played a 24" GB on the '72 tour, Johnny? A poster in one of the Paiste FB groups says he saw the tour and that Charlie's ride looked bigger than a 20".
todd, here's Street Fighting Man from Ladies & Gentlemen in 1972 and there are a couple of good closeups of CW's ride. Enjoy brother!

ekim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you prove that??? What a bollox of a reply. He actually DID use sound edge for a couple of years..

Gerry
No, but I've never seen a picture of him using 15" hats let alone sound edge.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
CW Gearing Up 1.jpeg
Stand corrected on the SE. On 15" perhaps?
Charlie told me he played 15" hats in the early days. As he put it, "We all played 15s" and I took that to mean him, Ringo, Ginger Baker and other early British drumming pioneers.

I thought/assumed he used 15" hats (maybe Giant Beats) on "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" (1969 tour) but my friend and fellow DFO'r Bun E. Carlos saw them a few times in '69 and thought they were 14"s so who knows...

What I've learned from knowing Charlie personally, and listening to their music, is that he changed his cymbals a lot during the first 20 years (1963-1983), when they were productive recording new music. Mostly his Ride and Hi Hats. The one cymbal that was a constant from 1967 or 1968, until 2007 was his 16" Arbiter 602 crash, which was his only "crash" until he added his 18" UFIP China in 1977. He's kept more or less the same set-up for past 30 or so years (18" Flat Ride, second 18" UFIP China above his floor tom), other than replacing his 16" Arbiter 602 crash which cracked in 2007 with a 16" Zildjian CIE in 2012, and adding a Crash Of Doom in 2013.

Last edited:

ekim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
wow, really cool stuff. I love Charlie Watts. Doesn't really matter what he played I guess. He Rocked none the less. I think 1969 tour was the best IMO. I wish they would tour as a 5 piece band with original 60's equipment, original members as a homage to the old days without the stage bling. They are such great musicians. Saw magic Christians live with clem burke some years ago. It was so rad. Reminded me of old style Stones.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Charlie told me he played 15" hats in the early days. As he put it, "We all played 15s" and I took that to mean him, Ringo, Ginger Baker and other early British drumming pioneers.

I thought/assumed he used 15" hats (maybe Giant Beats) on "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" (1969 tour) but my friend and fellow DFO'r Bun E. Carlos saw them a few times in '69 and thought they were 14"s so who knows...

What I've learned from knowing Charlie personally, and listening to their music, is that he changed his cymbals a lot during the first 20 years (1963-1983), when they were productive recording new music. Mostly his Ride and Hi Hats. The one cymbal that was a constant from 1967 or 1968, until 2007 was his 16" Arbiter 602 crash, which was his only "crash" until he added his 18" UFIP China in 1977. He's kept more or less the same set-up for past 30 or so years (18" Flat Ride, second 18" UFIP China above his floor tom), other than replacing his 16" Arbiter 602 crash which cracked in 2007 with a 16" Zildjian CIE in 2012, and adding a Crash Of Doom in 2013.
I absolutely LOVE the sound of his hi hat cymbals on Ya-Ya's. His playing, too.

PS: A good isolated (almost) sample of his 16" Arbiter 602 crash is the very last note of Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

ekim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And I am sorry for my rude response..in my original reply.. That looked so rude looking back at it..
I'm very sorry..
I learn every day!!!

Cheers Gerry
No prob.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE the sound of his hi hat cymbals on Ya-Ya's. His playing, too.

PS: A good isolated (almost) sample of his 16" Arbiter 602 crash is the very last note of Can't You Hear Me Knocking.
Yes. Pretty much everything on Sticky Fingers. And at the very end of Shattered.

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Charlie's drum tech came into the shop I work at during the 90's and found a pair of 60's Zildjian 14" hats. He asked for a discount and was told, not for a Rolling Stone! He bought them anyway. $200.00 Australian dollars.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Charlie's drum tech came into the shop I work at during the 90's and found a pair of 60's Zildjian 14" hats. He asked for a discount and was told, not for a Rolling Stone! He bought them anyway. $200.00 Australian dollars.
That would've been the late great Chuch Magee, rest his soul... Charlie loves old/60s New Beats and old/60s A. Zildjian hats.

I sold Charlie some Rogers hardware and Remo black dot heads via their original tour manager, Ian Stewart, in Sept 1981 while I was working at EU Wurlitzer in Boston and they were rehearsing for their "Tattoo You" tour. And I did give him a discount! ;) This was a store copy, so I was able to keep it (and sign Charlie's name on the bottom).

IMG_1020.JPG

Last edited:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That would've been the late great Chuch Magee, rest his sole... Charlie loves old/60s New Beats and old/60s A. Zildjian hats.

I sold Charlie some Rogers hardware and Remo black dot heads via their original tour manager, Ian Stewart, in Sept 1981 while I was working at EU Wurlitzer in Boston and they were rehearsing for their "Tattoo You" tour. And I did give him a discount! ;) This was a store copy, so I was able to keep it (and sign Charlie's name on the bottom).

View attachment 382221
1) you have the best stories
2) Ian Stewart ? "Boogie With Stu" what a great piano player he was.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1) you have the best stories
2) Ian Stewart ? "Boogie With Stu" what a great piano player he was.
Thanks.
Yes, Ian "Boogie With Stu" Stewart himself. Their original piano player, who later became their TM. He was quite a character. He couldn't believe I knew who he was!

toddlittle827

Reaction score
wow - great catch by that fella but the Paiste ink looks black so it looks like a Sound Creation Dark China to me.

toddlittle827

Reaction score
todd, here's Street Fighting Man from Ladies & Gentlemen in 1972 and there are a couple of good closeups of CW's ride. Enjoy brother!

Great video Johnny - yeah that guy on facebook was off the mark but to be expected after 47 years I guess LOL. Definitely looks like a 20" Giant Beat.

Latest posts