Charlie Watts

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Fat Drummer's recent post re: Charlie Watts bass drum etc.. reminded me of one of my favorite tunes and Charlie is driving
Great deep track!! I love Charlie! Always playing for the song, doesn’t care if you are impressed or not. That approach sold a lot of records. First song I learned on the kit was Honky Tonk Women. The feel is incredible. I was too young and naive to know the cowbell was tracked separately and tried to play that as well.

Favorite Charlie track is Can You Hear Knocking

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great deep track!! I love Charlie! Always playing for the song, doesn’t care if you are impressed or not. That approach sold a lot of records. First song I learned on the kit was Honky Tonk Women. The feel is incredible. I was too young and naive to know the cowbell was tracked separately and tried to play that as well.

Favorite Charlie track is Can You Hear Knocking
Dead on! "...….Always playing for the song.....," The key to Charlies greatness!

"Can't You Hear Me Knocking", a favorite of mine also. One of the all time greatest codas! (right up there with "Layla")
Charlie, Bill Wyman, Keith, and Mick Taylor WOW!

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fat Drummer's recent post re: Charlie Watts bass drum etc.. reminded me of one of my favorite tunes and Charlie is driving
Always loved this tune. It's so Charlie and to hear his distinctive style on a Pete Townshend song is so cool. The last time I saw Charlie was July 2019 at Gillette Stadium and I mentioned this song (I'd heard it recently at the time) and his face lit up. He's never one to talk about his playing, but he said something like, "Yeah, that's a good song." Or something to that effect...
AEA078AD-D979-4AF9-9C79-5696A21E463C_1_201_a.jpeg

Tdipaul

Reaction score
At a drum store at age 18 (like 32 years ago) I asked for a china cymbal like Charlie uses.
He said "Charlie doesn't uses a china, why would he use that?"
What a dumb ass.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First time hearing that. Thanks!

Your comment about Charlie driving immediately brought to mind 'Mixed Emotions' which is right up there for me. I love his placement of that first china hit in the intro and the Hi Hat bark that follows. The entire song has killer momentum...just fantastic!

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score