Cheap Drums Rule!!!

Black Label

Reaction score
I own a few drumkits: Tama Starclassic Maples, 70's Ludwig Superclassic 3 ply MPM, Vintage Star kit, Yamaha D22 kit etc.

I recently saw advertised an old 10 lug Mapex kick drum (which turned out to be a very very early maple / mahogany (luan:??) Saturn kickdrum from 1989) for the equivalent of about $35 and 2 old violet colored toms (which turned out to be old violet colored early '70s Sonor Rocker 2000 12 and 16" toms) for the equivalent of about $15. The kick was just about mint - both heads were in top conditions and I did not need to spend a cent on it. The toms needed a clean and the batter heads (heads were still stock and appears to have never been replaced since new) were shot. The reso's were ok. I replaced the 16" batter with a Remo Fibresyn F1 that I was given for free and the 12" batter with a Remo Encore coated head.

I rush tuned these drums and I can honestly say that they - at $50 plus a cheapie 12" head - sounds as good if not better than all my other kits, Starclassics included. Apparently, although the Sonor Rockers were entry level drums, they were the same shells as Sonor's higher end drums in the day (6 ply beechwood shells) but with cheap hardware. The Mapex kick is deep and resonant - the thing roars.

My conclusion is that cheap and nasty does not have to sound cheap and nasty:)

Attachments

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My middle name is cheap when it comes to drums. I'll buy some nice stuff on occasion. But, I think if you're willing to deal with some "imperfections", you can get a heckuva kit for 1/3 or less the cost of a high end used or new kit.

I'm refurbished a PDP M5 last winter. It sounds great! I love it. I had to spend considerably more, because they were blank used shells. But I enjoyed that as much as playing them.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I have several cheapo snares that are in regular rotation. They all have very distinct characteristics tone-wise. While that may make them one trick ponies, they are certainly functional. One is a Pearl “limited edition” Chinese snare with a birch shell. Tuned up high, it pokes a nice hole through the rest of the band. A steal at $60. I may strip the plastic wrap and refinish the wood.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ever think of rewrapping them in the same color?

i have played wedding gigs with a rewrapped pearl 13” converted power tom to floor tom. was $10, but i treat it the same as a $500 drum. little worries if it gets knocked around.
00F5C829-1B35-40D3-AB35-F5024C2BDC96.jpeg

Attachments