Cheap pdp throwoff question

claytronica

Reaction score
I'm going to swallow my pride and throw myself at the mercy of you folks. I just changed the heads on my son's cheap pdp snare, and I just don't understand the logic behind the tensioning of the throw off. I'm attaching a photo to explain - but basically, when it's in the fully up/locked position, it is not at it's tightest tension. It has sort of a cam/pivot-like action rather than simply straight raising and lowering. The end result is as I bring the lever up, I go past the tightest point at about 1/4 open (3/4 closed) and then it loosens again as I lock into the fully up position. Maybe this is designed to sort of snap the strainer into position - but it just seems like a bad design. If I want it fairly snug, I have to pull it past being VERY tight before it loosens up a bit at the end.

I'm sure I'm just failing an iq test here (yet again) so go easy on me - and thanks in advance!

Attachments

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect you have the wires too tight to begin with. Check out this Bob Gatzen video and see what he does with the stick going across the bottom of the wires when setting up the drum.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horrible throw off design regardless of brand. When it is closed (engaged), the knob should be as loose as possible without the mechanism falling apart. Keep it closed then attach the wires as taut as you can get them, then just tighten the knob to make it sound good. Pretty much how I do it for all throws, it's just trickier with that type throw.

claytronica

Reaction score
Horrible throw off design regardless of brand. When it is closed (engaged), the knob should be as loose as possible without the mechanism falling apart. Keep it closed then attach the wires as taut as you can get them, then just tighten the knob to make it sound good. Pretty much how I do it for all throws, it's just trickier with that type throw.
Thanks for the tip!