Cheap Storage unit in Los Angeles!?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Los Angeles people, anyone knows a cheap ($50ish/month or less) storage unit that I can fit a 22/16/13 kit with a couple of snares? (Vertically or horizontally).

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Los Angeles people, anyone knows a cheap ($50ish/month or less) storage unit that I can fit a 22/16/13 kit with a couple of snares? (Vertically or horizontally).
Hmmm. Outside of places like Public Storage or whatever, trying contacting ABC or Downtown, and see if they have storage/cartage options:
(Downtown Rehearsals doesn't seem to have a website)

Or maybe even Drum Doctors or Drum Paradise will store your kit for a small fee?

These are all just guesses. Good luck!

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Outside of places like Public Storage or whatever, trying contacting ABC or Downtown, and see if they have storage/cartage options:
(Downtown Rehearsals doesn't seem to have a website)

Or maybe even Drum Doctors or Drum Paradise will store your kit for a small fee?

These are all just guesses. Good luck!
I thought the only option was those public storages with bunch of units. I can ask drum doctor, I live really close.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just randomly checked 'Public Storage' and their smallest space "5x5 closet" is ~$100. Seems you are unlikely to find something smaller/cheaper than that from a typical storage unit company since the market for such a small space to hold only a drum set (as I understand) is going to be pretty limited.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought the only option was those public storages with bunch of units. I can ask drum doctor, I live really close.
Yeah. They might not store the kit for you, but perhaps they have suggestions that we're unaware of.

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Swinghouse Rehearsal used to have storage lockers on site-- don't know if they do anymore

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah. They might not store the kit for you, but perhaps they have suggestions that we're unaware of.
Drum doctors wants $100 a month to store a 22/16/13. I think that’s too much I can just rent a storage unit and put more stuff in it.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 5'x10' with 10 foot ceiling for 85 at Golden West Storage in the valley. Some of the prices here is stupid. One rehersal room was 10x10 and they wanted $1100.00 a month with a 4 years lease and it was up stairs no elevator and down the street parking only.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 5'x10' with 10 foot ceiling for 85 at Golden West Storage in the valley. Some of the prices here is stupid. One rehersal room was 10x10 and they wanted $1100.00 a month with a 4 years lease and it was up stairs no elevator and down the street parking only.
That is absurd for a lockout. I rented a lockout in LA about 16 years ago. 10x15 was $550, one year lease. We split it with another band, so it was extremely affordable for all. Ground level, parking literally at the door. Edit: It was 20x15, not 10x15.

Last edited:

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is absurd for a lockout. I rented a lockout in LA about 16 years ago. 10x15 was $550, one year lease. We split it with another band, so it was extremely affordable for all. Ground level, parking literally at the door.
from about 1987 to 1994 I rented a 20x30 room at the corner of Hollywood blvd and Western ave for $300 a month with elevator and restroom down the hall. 24 hour access and did not share with anyone.had a nice big heatpump ac in the window. electricity was included in price

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
from about 1987 to 1994 I rented a 20x30 room at the corner of Hollywood blvd and Western ave for $300 a month with elevator and restroom down the hall. 24 hour access and did not share with anyone.had a nice big heatpump ac in the window. electricity was included in price
...and today that place is a shopping center or the Metro station! I know that intersection quite well, spent many years right in that area.

KevinD

Reaction score
Wow, when I lived out there one of my friends rented a pretty big storage space (enough to set up in) in Culver City down by Jefferson and the Marina Fwy. It was cheap (probably since nobody wanted to go to Culver city back then).
I just checked the rates $111/mo for a 5x5... pretty steep. Times have changed.
Here in NJ, in Hoboken (a short swim from NYC) a 5x5 is only $39/month.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, when I lived out there one of my friends rented a pretty big storage space (enough to set up in) in Culver City down by Jefferson and the Marina Fwy. It was cheap (probably since nobody wanted to go to Culver city back then).
I just checked the rates $111/mo for a 5x5... pretty steep. Times have changed.
Here in NJ, in Hoboken (a short swim from NYC) a 5x5 is only $39/month.
Culver city is now a hip place, pretty expensive and is going up by day.

KevinD

Reaction score
Culver city is now a hip place, pretty expensive and is going up by day.
Yeah I know! I lived and worked in CC for a while. Certainly a lot different from back in the 90s.. Back then the "downtown" area was a ghost town much of the time. Last time I was there I went by my old apartment can't believe how much of the area has built up, very hip place now.
Progress I guess.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not sure if you're looking for storage because you need to stash the kit while you are elsewhere or whether you need it to be located near where you live, but if the former, I suggest you look in more out of the way areas like Riverside or San Bernardino Counties, places where land/space is considerably less than LA.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you're looking for storage because you need to stash the kit while you are elsewhere or whether you need it to be located near where you live, but if the former, I suggest you look in more out of the way areas like Riverside or San Bernardino Counties, places where land/space is considerably less than LA.
Thank you for the suggestion, I found a public storage for $30 a month, enough space for what I wanted to do.