Cheap, ugly hardware bags!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the flip side of the 'favorite hardware cases' thread.

I was looking for collapsible moving boxes and found zippered bags made of what looks like heavy duty tarp material. They'd probably be fine for a light gig or a heavier one with a cart. To me, the best part is how cheap they are. If one breaks down, you could have 7 more for less than $50. The unknown is just how durable they are.

For storage and easy removal from a shelf, they could be rather useful.
s-l640.jpg

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I can envision a zipper breaking and all your hardware spilling onto the sidewalk. Cheap and ugly sounds about right.

tomo221

Reaction score
Not so sure I agree with the if-one-breaks-just-keep-replacing-it method. Creates a lot of unnecessary, non-biodegradable waste.

MrYikes

Reaction score
We are drummers. We do not need diamond studded travel cases. Finding lower cost alternatives is fun. The pictured bag would not hold up but could be made to work by putting a hard plastic bottom under it and adding ropes because those handles will rip out.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use an old cordura hockey bag. It's been my main hardware bag for 20 years. It just recently started showing signs that it wont be usable much longer. My next hardware container will have wheels!

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not even sure what brand mine is. Amazon purchase, $12 shipped. Just a zippered canvas-like bag with a thin lining in the bottom. No wheels. I assumed it would get trashed but even if it lasted a few gigs, who cares at that price?

Years later, I cannot kill this thing. I even have some extra hardware in it, in case I forget when bringing different kits (for example, a pair of those heavyass Ludwig curved spurs that I'm sure to forget if I don't keep them in the bag at all times). Meanwhile, I've got a busted H&B hardware case sitting in my garage holding spare parts next to my SKB hard golf club travel case missing the handle that snapped off.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve been using an old Army duffel bag for the past 25 years. Whatever that is made out of, it’s pretty indestructible, and you can padlock it.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use an old cordura hockey bag. It's been my main hardware bag for 20 years. It just recently started showing signs that it wont be usable much longer. My next hardware container will have wheels!
I kept my bag when I sold off the rest of my hockey gear. It’s pretty tough. I also have a large cheap duffle bag with wheels. I may remove the bottom portion of that and rivet it to the hockey bag for smaller gigs with limited hardware that I can still wheel around. Those hockey bags hold a ton of stuff - just air it out first!

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a keyboard case I got new at a local pawn shop. Just a medium weight, reinforced and lightly padded nylon bag with good straps. I think it was $10.
8E3170AD-B72E-4EEA-8D9A-E1C38BE78C3E.jpeg

Been using it for three years now twice a month outings.

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are drummers. We do not need diamond studded travel cases. Finding lower cost alternatives is fun. The pictured bag would not hold up but could be made to work by putting a hard plastic bottom under it and adding ropes because those handles will rip out.
Or just shuttle it around on the IKEA cart made for it.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All through my intense gigging years I used a large wheeled duffel bag from Target as my hardware case. For the ten years before that, I used a canvas Army duffel bag. It's only since I got modestly respectable that I bought a real hardware bag.