Check it out: Loudness in Streaming Environment

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting vid... Alan explained his concept very cogently and sure makes it much easier to grasp with what's going on.

Side note that may be a bit off topic but, Alan mentioned that for compact discs, "For the first time the history of audio, the dynamic range of the medium is wide enough to capture the dynamic range of music with no compression." So the dynamic range of the CD medium is larger than the dynamic range of the music... I was led to believe that a major criticisms of CD's was that they required heavy compression (maybe to fit the length with a smaller file size/resolution rate???) and therefore couldn't match the quality/fidelity of a pressed album. I remember Neil Young pushing that idea pretty heavily when he was trying to get that new playback device launched.

mebeatee

Reaction score
A continuation of the loudness wars......for starters...

What I find interesting is what music/sound is generally listened to on.....ear buds, little Bluetooth speakers, et al irregardless of how things were made/mastered.
Convenient and sometimes decent sounding.....a lot of music is produced for these listening systems. The opposite in a way in a movie theatre where sounds are very big and played on big systems but then again sounds just as artificial and crappy.....
Too many gizmotrons to twiddle with sound....but it sure can be fun...that's why I like "silence" so much...
bt

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Interesting vid... Alan explained his concept very cogently and sure makes it much easier to grasp with what's going on.

Side note that may be a bit off topic but, Alan mentioned that for compact discs, "For the first time the history of audio, the dynamic range of the medium is wide enough to capture the dynamic range of music with no compression." So the dynamic range of the CD medium is larger than the dynamic range of the music... I was led to believe that a major criticisms of CD's was that they required heavy compression (maybe to fit the length with a smaller file size/resolution rate???) and therefore couldn't match the quality/fidelity of a pressed album. I remember Neil Young pushing that idea pretty heavily when he was trying to get that new playback device launched.
I thought I remembered something about that when I started getting into CDs, or maybe in my music recording classes in college. I had to look it up to see, but it looks like 16 bit audio CDs, the standard, have a dynamic range of 96 dB with possibly a higher perceived range once dithering is taken into account. Compare that with vinyl at approx. 55-65 dB and CDs do have a potential for more range. However, CD's are also more suited for the "loudness war" since they won't skip like a phonograph needle would with heavy limiting and compression. Despite dynamic range being wider in CDs, the capability of being able to handle louder music helped push the loudness war along.

The PonoPlayer that Neil Young was pushing had, from what I found, approx a 97 dB range with 16/44kHz audio, so pretty much the same as a CD. If you're playing music in 24/192kHz it does go up to 104 dB of dynamic range. It's not quite as much as studio equipment like Tascam or Teac recorders, but it's pretty close considering it's a portable device.

Nice resource about CDs and dynamic range

More information about the PonoPlayer

Reactions: Hop

Latest posts