Check out these hi-hats

espotj

Reaction score
Hi All,
I thought I'd share this cool project I did last week. I picked up a set of Zildjian 13" ZBT hi-hats in great condition for $10. (Understand that I would never do this to a quality cymbal!!) So, I happened upon a video on YouTube of a guy who put a forced patina on a cymbal, so I thought I'd give it a try. It was easy and I think the results are staggeringly good. Before I started, I took a sanding block and then sandpaper and sanded the factory finish off down to raw bronze. (Again these are cheap hats!!) Then thru a process using liquid ammonia and table salt I achieved what you see here. The end result was very crusty looking cymbals, but the finish is really very smooth, and the process did darken the sound a little bit, which is actually an improvement. Also, the darker areas of patinas have a very attractive blueish hue. I have a few junky, cracked super cheap cymbals that I might cut down to splash size and try it again to make a trash splash. What do you think of the results?

s1.jpg
s2.jpg
s3.jpg
s4.jpg
s5.jpg

Polska

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it! You can even play around with patina only on the edge or around the bell too. Cool way to repurpose something!