Chester Thompson on Decade-Long Rift with Crab Apple Phil Collins

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now this really pisses me off...

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/chester-thompson-phil-collins-solo-tour/

I want to give this writer the benefit of the doubt...maybe he just misunderstood what was said in the interview, but c'mon. Totally taking things out of context to make a click-bait headline. No class. And most people are too lazy to go back to the source and find out for themselves what the real context of all that is. Lousy reporting.
Pfft! You're mad about THAT headline. He's had much, much worse:
Orianne Cevey Claims Phil Collins Is A 'Hermit' & Didn't Bathe

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Word was that he closed the door on Phil (and Phil on him) finally, after he didn’t got the dedicated equal (writing)spot in Genesis he was promised?

His age/family probably plays a part too as he basically retired from touring.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, you’re a freelance drummer hoping to get re-upped for a gig with a guy who has hired you again and again over more than two decades, and you don’t send a holiday card?

You don’t take the opportunity to remind him that while you’re an ocean away, you’re always looking forward to playing with him?

Fascinating! How’s that working out for you?
Not to brag , but I’ve managed to hold the drum throne in some of Oklahoma’s better bands .

Whitten

Reaction score
The Collins discussion was hardly an airing of grievances.
Well he goes into detail about the various disagreements, fallings out, etc....
There are always two sides to every story, and I think it's best to keep itmohe private than air things in the press.

Whitten

Reaction score
Totally taking things out of context to make a click-bait headline.
If it wasn't in the public domain there would be no material to twist and take out of context. That's why 'sidemen' should keep their negative experiences to themselves if they can. I had untrue not true written about my departure from McCartney.

Whitten

Reaction score
So, you’re a freelance drummer hoping to get re-upped for a gig with a guy who has hired you again and again over more than two decades, and you don’t send a holiday card?
I never knew my employers home addresses (in detail). I didn't want to know. If you send a card it's going to end up in a pile at the management office, mixed in with the backline company Xmas card etc....
It's really hard to become 'best mates' with your boss, maybe you shouldn't? I had a lot of laughs with McCartney. I got on super well with Linda. I was occasionally invited over for a Sunday Bar-B-Q. When I decided it was time for me to move on, Paul was understandably pissed off. They want to fire you, they don't want you to fire them (effectively).

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't in the public domain there would be no material to twist and take out of context. That's why 'sidemen' should keep their negative experiences to themselves if they can. I had untrue not true written about my departure from McCartney.
I don;t disagree with what you're saying...it's out there and now it can be twisted. I'm calling out the awful behavior of the writer who took items out of context and didn't properly reflect the timbre of the conversation.

I'm sorry people misrepresented your story in the past. Again, lousy behavior.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I absolutely loved this round table discussion of Zappa's drummers. Too bad Vinnie couldn't make it. But Chester, Ralph Humphries, Chad, Terry and Ruth made for a great conversation.

Hearing Ruth describe her first encounter with Mahavishnu Orch and seeing Billy Cobham was a high point. She was standing next to Frank jaws dropped. She knew Frank was competitive and would do something to up the Mother's game and the next thing was Chester was auditioned.

Excellent video Wolf !! Thank you .

SKINZ

Reaction score
I think it's best to keep this stuff to yourself, don't air grievances in public., especially not the press.
Anyone who has worked with a mega star has tough times, difficult experiences. It's challenging, and the stars are also under a lot of pressure.
Maybe OP could learn from this post..........

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Maybe OP could learn from this post..........
I learned some people don't like unpleasant realities like a great drummer describing a falling out with Phil Collins followed by a decade-long silence between them. Exactly as described!

SKINZ

Reaction score
I learned some people don't like unpleasant realities like a great drummer describing a falling out with Phil Collins followed by a decade-long silence between them. Exactly as described!

U COULD NOT POLISH PHILS OR CHESTERS DRUMS MUCH LESS PLAY THEM BUT KEEP POSTING UR B S THREADS THAT U HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT ...........

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty good at basic punctuation!
I'm sorta jealous of "the reactions" you sometime get VB : D 9lol.

ALL YOU'RE DOING IS Copy and Pasting MAGAZINE (INTERNET-ZINE?) ARTICLES OFFERED UP FOR OPINION.

How Dare YOU : DDD

Core Creek

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the original article. What a great interview....

I started drumming in ‘86 and didn’t really understand who Chester was.... how is he playing with Phil Collins if Collins is the drummer...?? But he came around to the Sam Ash on Long Island and did a clinic and I was really into checking out clinics. I vividly remember him showing how he tunes his drums.... top head medium, bottom head kind of tight, and how the bottom head really helps get to pitch... and it always stuck with me. I ran home and retuned my drums and never looked back.

He comes off as a real classy guy. I continue to have the utmost respect for him....