Chester Thompson

Status
Not open for further replies.

SY-ya-nara

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just gave up my flip phone for a so-called smart phone that’s pretty dumb but I’m using Siri to translate this and I apologize for her miscommunications.

Where to start. Chester had to play covers for a band that wasn’t actually playing the covers they were the real band and he had to play another drummers part exactly which took a long time to really cement in and the drummer he was covering was right there on stage to critique him.

Here is the drummer that is hands-down in my opinion way way better than Phil nothing against Phils playing but he had to Demott down and change all of his timings invoicing’s and everything to match the master recording.

A lot of their concerts a percussionist multi percussionist would start a great groove then Chester would come out and start playing and have to moderate his plane not to show up Phil which hadn’t even come out on stage yet but he had to play handicapped and away and then Phil came out on stage and joined in and it was really good at least Chester got to spread out a little bit with that.

Siri is not batting 100 with this translate stuff but anyway I think you get the jest.

Anyway I just wondered what y’all thought about how unique situation Mr. Thompson found himself in and how that took so long for him and Bill to work out how he was to play what he was playing night after night after night and I just think that’s kind of geewhiz and was curious what y’all thought about that kind of stuff.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phil was a great drummer. Listen to his playing with Genesis before Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel left. When anyone gets famous and rich and old and loses their own ability they are going to be hard to get along with, especially by someone who stands in stark relief to fading physical skills. How many drummers have had a thirty year run working for the same front man? Best to look at the real long term positives than the inevitable end of the road.

I saw Chester with Zappa. He and Aynsley were my two favorite Zappa drummers.

dale w miller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Phil has an extremely original sound so to say Chester is “better” is not something I would agree with. I’m sure it feels strange to him and perhaps uncomfortable at times being in the position he’s in, but because Phil’s parts are integral to each song he really doesn’t have much of a choice.

I love this video. Chester truly is in the spotlight here.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah , you can’t discount Phil’s skills on drums against anyone ….

It’s also not a competition. And I doubt Chester felt he had to “ dumb it down “

I find your opinion ridiculous…..

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Phil and Chester were both great drummers, but saying one is “better” is a matter of opinion. Personally I always felt Chester’s playing was rather stiff when playing with Genesis. Phil had a natural swing that can’t be copied. You either have it or you don’t. A perfect example is the song “Follow you, follow me”. Listen to the version on Three sides live with Chester drumming. Then listen to the version from Rome in 2007 with Phil drumming. Chester’s version is okay, but Phil’s just has a beautiful relaxed natural swing to it. It’s such a shame he can’t play anymore.

SY-ya-nara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah , you can’t discount Phil’s skills on drums against anyone ….

It’s also not a competition. And I doubt Chester felt he had to “ dumb it down “

I find your opinion ridiculous…..
OK OK OK uncle I give. I actually agree but still Chester had to work extremely hard to copy fill style and it was easy for Phil to play Fiel style so come on I mean Chester had to overcome the greater odds I know that bill I saw the tape on Phils hands to keep the drumsticks in place so he could play I know Phil had a lot to overcome and all of that but still think of how Chester had to work and their videos out there of both feel being interviewed and Chester interviewed about their work together and how much Chester had to use his prowess as a drummer to play his stuff . Siri did a horrible job with that but I think you get the jest.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Phil was a great drummer, and so is Chester. The two of them had an undeniable chemistry together, and they played a wonderful drum duet in their Genesis days - I was lucky enough to see them perform it.

SY-ya-nara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a great interview. Watched it a few months ago.
You must have posted this just as I started my reply. This is one of the videos I suggested, there's is another just like that where the same guy interviews Phil. I think. I am old and actually admit I could be wrong.

SY-ya-nara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Phil was a great drummer. Listen to his playing with Genesis before Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel left. When anyone gets famous and rich and old and loses their own ability they are going to be hard to get along with, especially by someone who stands in stark relief to fading physical skills. How many drummers have had a thirty year run working for the same front man? Best to look at the real long term positives than the inevitable end of the road.

I saw Chester with Zappa. He and Aynsley were my two favorite Zappa drummers.
"Best to look at the real long term positives than the inevitable end of the road." At my age I have to look at both! *grin* edit: That is me looking at me, not Phil. I do look up to Phil even though he is shorter than I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.