Chicago Drum Show. May 21st and 22nd

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had fun...

I was looking for one more Rogers swan leg cymbal stand so I'd have enough of them (4) to gig with (gots to have matching stands). I happened to come upon one at a booth during my first go round but upon closer inspection it was a Rogers swan legged base with a Ludwig 1400 center tube and top rod/tilter. I asked "how much for the mismatched stand?" "20 bucks." So I snagged it, figuring it was close enough. The DFO's own JDA (edit: Not JDA but JDZ, my apologies to both ) happened by and I showed him what I'd bought. We agreed it was "good enough" to get the job done. So I proceeded onward and two booths down, in the consignment booth, there was a Ludwig 1400 stand....except the middle tube and the top rod/tilter were Rogers. "How much for the mismatched stand?" "29 bucks". "Sold". What were the chances? JDZ caught up to me just then and was amazed. He insisted that I put the stands together correctly right then and there, so I did. So a complete Rogers swan leg and a Ludwig 1400 for a total of $49.

2022 stands.jpg

I was hoping maybe I'd bring a drum set home but nothing jumped out at me, at least not that I could afford. In years past there were some sweet deals on various sets I lusted after but was always a couple hundred short. This year I had more money than usual but none of those sets were there. Lots of very cool sets, but either stuff I already have, stuff I don't want, or stuff I still couldn't afford.

Not that I came home empty handed....

drum show 2022.jpg

Can you ever have too many snare drums? No you can't, according to a couple of DFO "enablers" who "helped" me with these deals, LOL.

A gold sparkle Jazz Fest has been on my shopping list forever. This was actually a pre-show deal between myself and KCDrumdad which he delivered to the show.
I was hoping maybe I'd find a burgundy sparkle Jazz Fest or Pioneer at the show but I didn't run across one (there was a JF at the show last year but at $1600 it stayed there). But the very same KCDrumdad mentioned seeing this Slinger-Leedy (which may be Burgundy, may be Starlight sparkle, I'm unsure) and when I checked it out it was too cool to leave behind at the agreed price. And the brand new Bell Brass? That was another DFO culprit who just had to show me the booth with the great Gretsch deals. One of these heavy suckers had also been on my list for a while so I guess I stop looking now (until next year).

I also brought home a stack of new Remo and Evans heads (mostly bass drum heads) which were all $10 each from Skins and Tins, Terry was shedding inventory from his former store. Hard to pass that deal up. I ended up with 15 heads.

Attendance seemed light to me, better than last year but not as much as years past. There was no line waiting to get in in the morning and the aisles weren't overly crowded at any point in the day. I was there right at 10 and pretty well done by noon, but stayed until 4. No reason to go back tomorrow. I'd just spend more money. There was a pair of blue sparkle concert toms that were tempting me all day. A 15 & a 16. 6 plys with B/O badges with regular classic mounts on an Atlas stand. The wrap was rough, particularly along the seams which were both lifting and missing chunks (maybe they need some rivets ;) ) but the price was right and they sounded cool. I thought about how they might work with my Blue Sparkle Super classics. I came very close to making an offer on them until the Leedy popped up and burned the money. I mean, yeah, they might still be there tomorrow....and it's only a 90 minute drive.....NO, nope, not gonna do it.

Last edited:

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had fun...

I was looking for one more Rogers swan leg cymbal stand so I'd have enough of them (4) to gig with (gots to have matching stands). I happened to come upon one at a booth during my first go round but upon closer inspection it was a Rogers swan legged base with a Ludwig 1400 center tube and top rod/tilter. I asked "how much for the mismatched stand?" "20 bucks." So I snagged it, figuring it was close enough. The DFO's own JDA happened by and I showed him what I'd bought. We agreed it was "good enough" to get the job done. So I proceeded onward and two booths down, in the consignment booth, there was a Ludwig 1400 stand....except the middle tube and the top rod/tilter were Rogers. "How much for the mismatched stand?" "29 bucks". "Sold". What were the chances? JDA caught up to me just then and was amazed. He insisted that I put the stands together correctly right then and there, so I did. So a complete Rogers swan leg and a Ludwig 1400 for a total of $49.

I was hoping maybe I'd bring a drum set home but nothing jumped out at me, at least not that I could afford. In years past there were some sweet deals on various sets I lusted after but was always a couple hundred short. This year I had more money than usual but none of those sets were there. Lots of very cool sets, but either stuff I already have, stuff I don't want, or stuff I still couldn't afford.

View attachment 560741

Can you ever have too many snare drums? No you can't, according to a couple of DFO "enablers" who "helped" me with these deals, LOL.

A gold sparkle Jazz Fest has been on my shopping list forever. This was actually a pre-show deal between myself and KCDrumdad which he delivered to the show.
I was hoping maybe I'd find a burgundy sparkle Jazz Fest or Pioneer at the show but I didn't run across one (there was a JF at the show last year but at $1600 it stayed there). But the very same KCDrumdad mentioned seeing this Slinger-Leedy (which may be Burgundy, may be Starlight sparkle, I'm unsure) and when I checked it out it was too cool to leave behind at the agreed price. And the brand new Bell Brass? That was another DFO culprit who just had to show me the booth with the great Gretsch deals. One of these heavy suckers had also been on my list for a while so I guess I stop looking now (until next year).

I also brought home a stack of new Remo and Evans heads (mostly bass drum heads) which were all $10 each from Skins and Tins, Terry was shedding inventory from his former store. Hard to pass that deal up. I ended up with 15 heads.

Attendance seemed light to me, better than last year but not as much as years past. There was no line waiting to get in in the morning and the aisles weren't overly crowded at any point in the day. I was there right at 10 and pretty well done by noon, but stayed until 4. No reason to go back tomorrow. I'd just spend more money. There was a pair of blue sparkle concert toms that were tempting me all day. A 15 & a 16. 6 plys with B/O badges with regular classic mounts on an Atlas stand. The wrap was rough, particularly along the seams which were both lifting and missing chunks (maybe they need some rivets ;) ) but the price was right and they sounded cool. I thought about how they might work with my Blue Sparkle Super classics. I came very close to making an offer on them until the Leedy popped up and burned the money. I mean, yeah, they might still be there tomorrow....and it's only a 90 minute drive.....NO, nope, not gonna do it.
Best $49 spent certainly.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad to hear there's another JDA out there
Sorry, I guess I'm confused...
you're not who I thought you were then...I've been carrying the wrong mental image for at least a decade.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's Ok "I'll take" it however I can get it ; )

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had fun...

I was looking for one more Rogers swan leg cymbal stand so I'd have enough of them (4) to gig with (gots to have matching stands). I happened to come upon one at a booth during my first go round but upon closer inspection it was a Rogers swan legged base with a Ludwig 1400 center tube and top rod/tilter. I asked "how much for the mismatched stand?" "20 bucks." So I snagged it, figuring it was close enough. The DFO's own JDA (edit: Not JDA but the guy I always thought was JDA....sorry JDA and sorry guy I thought was) happened by and I showed him what I'd bought. We agreed it was "good enough" to get the job done. So I proceeded onward and two booths down, in the consignment booth, there was a Ludwig 1400 stand....except the middle tube and the top rod/tilter were Rogers. "How much for the mismatched stand?" "29 bucks". "Sold". What were the chances? Not JDA caught up to me just then and was amazed. He insisted that I put the stands together correctly right then and there, so I did. So a complete Rogers swan leg and a Ludwig 1400 for a total of $49.

View attachment 560741

K.O., I applaud your good fortune with the Ludwig/Rogers stand family repair. That's just awesome, hard to imagine, more than we could hope for, and totally a total drum show benefit.

That SlingerLeedy is quite the gem.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saturday late morning from on high.

Attachments

• 4CDC7096-212E-4E48-81CD-71BC6416CDAC.jpeg
    4CDC7096-212E-4E48-81CD-71BC6416CDAC.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 8A951469-C358-4320-B2B6-56CC1B1960FC.jpeg
    8A951469-C358-4320-B2B6-56CC1B1960FC.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 49075C23-9B4A-47D1-B79B-17FEC88DF14F.jpeg
    49075C23-9B4A-47D1-B79B-17FEC88DF14F.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 7EC27107-75DB-44F1-AAA1-B7610EF0CC28.jpeg
    7EC27107-75DB-44F1-AAA1-B7610EF0CC28.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 117

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saturday late morning from on high.
I think you captured me (orange jacket, white hair) right as I was buying (or at that point eyeing) the Bell Brass Gretsch

bell brass buy1.jpg

A couple minutes later I was happily lugging it out to the car.

That was an interesting booth. Bill's Drums. His booth sign stated that he was not a dealer but just a guy selling his collection but yet he had (or has, rather, since the show is still going on) brand new Gretsch drums at some amazing prices.

I first looked at what I thought was a copper snare but was told it was Bronze. Great price on it too but, to talk myself out of it, I said I actually wanted one of the cast ones. "Oh that's right over here". "Uh Oh!". So....brand new for $400 less than MAP and with a hardshell SKB case thrown in. On a later stop at the booth he offered up a USA bop kit at a fantastic price and would throw in the aforementioned other bronze snare and all with SKB cases. Crazy! They weren't a color I'd really want and by then I'd spent most of my money but if he'd made me that offer on the first go round I might have taken them off his hands.

If you're there today and interested in new Gretsch definitely swing by and talk to him.

Interesting how empty the aisles are, this was late morning which would usually be the peak crowd. I remember years when you had to do a sort of shuffle from booth to booth because it was so crowded that you couldn't really walk. There were quite a few people there but relatively speaking it looked low. Maybe today is the bigger day. I hope things were well enough to keep this event flying...I did my part.

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had fun...

I was looking for one more Rogers swan leg cymbal stand so I'd have enough of them (4) to gig with (gots to have matching stands). I happened to come upon one at a booth during my first go round but upon closer inspection it was a Rogers swan legged base with a Ludwig 1400 center tube and top rod/tilter. I asked "how much for the mismatched stand?" "20 bucks." So I snagged it, figuring it was close enough. The DFO's own JDA (edit: Not JDA but the guy I always thought was JDA....sorry JDA and sorry guy I thought was) happened by and I showed him what I'd bought. We agreed it was "good enough" to get the job done. So I proceeded onward and two booths down, in the consignment booth, there was a Ludwig 1400 stand....except the middle tube and the top rod/tilter were Rogers. "How much for the mismatched stand?" "29 bucks". "Sold". What were the chances? Not JDA caught up to me just then and was amazed. He insisted that I put the stands together correctly right then and there, so I did. So a complete Rogers swan leg and a Ludwig 1400 for a total of $49.

View attachment 560822

View attachment 560741

That’s gretsch sure is purty congrats on the gold sparkle!!!! She’s a looker too. Heck they all are

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
KO and I both got Gretsch snares from the same dealer ( you can see me with KO in the picture CSR posted discussing the Bell Brass snare he purchased - Great score Kev!!)

Lou Perdomo (King of Enablement ) hipped me to the booth that had a Gretsch Broadkaster on the same finish as my USA Custom kit I just received . I made a deal with the owner to sell me just the snare for an insanely low price and he included a new SKB hard case to boot ! I could not get the wallet out fast enough . It is one sweet sounding snare let me tell you .
B040A155-483C-4677-83E6-A709841B5C30.jpeg
707D2E7B-23AB-44E6-BCD8-C0F147BE6A01.jpeg
9917A1B5-D1E9-4688-A35B-8B002FA91161.jpeg
83423093-F4DD-4BFE-8CA5-4AEB9ED158E5.jpeg

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
KO and I both got Gretsch snares from the same dealer ( you can see me with KO in the picture CSR posted discussing the Bell Brass snare he purchased - Great score Kev!!)

Lou Perdomo (King of Enablement ) hopped me to the booth that had a Gretsch Broadkaster on the same finish as my USA Custom kit I just received . I made a deal with the owner to sell me just the snare for an insanely low price and he included a new SKB hard case to boot ! I could not get the wallet out fast enough . It is one sweet sounding snare let me tell you . View attachment 560959 View attachment 560960 View attachment 560961 View attachment 560962
Lou told you to check out that booth...you told me...I told two other people. That guy should have been paying us all commission...