Chicago Drum Show. May 21st and 22nd

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had fun...

I was looking for one more Rogers swan leg cymbal stand so I'd have enough of them (4) to gig with (gots to have matching stands). I happened to come upon one at a booth during my first go round but upon closer inspection it was a Rogers swan legged base with a Ludwig 1400 center tube and top rod/tilter. I asked "how much for the mismatched stand?" "20 bucks." So I snagged it, figuring it was close enough. The DFO's own JDA (edit: Not JDA but the guy I always thought was JDA....sorry JDA and sorry guy I thought was) happened by and I showed him what I'd bought. We agreed it was "good enough" to get the job done. So I proceeded onward and two booths down, in the consignment booth, there was a Ludwig 1400 stand....except the middle tube and the top rod/tilter were Rogers. "How much for the mismatched stand?" "29 bucks". "Sold". What were the chances? Not JDA caught up to me just then and was amazed. He insisted that I put the stands together correctly right then and there, so I did. So a complete Rogers swan leg and a Ludwig 1400 for a total of $49.

View attachment 560822

I was hoping maybe I'd bring a drum set home but nothing jumped out at me, at least not that I could afford. In years past there were some sweet deals on various sets I lusted after but was always a couple hundred short. This year I had more money than usual but none of those sets were there. Lots of very cool sets, but either stuff I already have, stuff I don't want, or stuff I still couldn't afford.

Not that I came home empty handed....

View attachment 560741

Can you ever have too many snare drums? No you can't, according to a couple of DFO "enablers" who "helped" me with these deals, LOL.

A gold sparkle Jazz Fest has been on my shopping list forever. This was actually a pre-show deal between myself and KCDrumdad which he delivered to the show.
I was hoping maybe I'd find a burgundy sparkle Jazz Fest or Pioneer at the show but I didn't run across one (there was a JF at the show last year but at $1600 it stayed there). But the very same KCDrumdad mentioned seeing this Slinger-Leedy (which may be Burgundy, may be Starlight sparkle, I'm unsure) and when I checked it out it was too cool to leave behind at the agreed price. And the brand new Bell Brass? That was another DFO culprit who just had to show me the booth with the great Gretsch deals. One of these heavy suckers had also been on my list for a while so I guess I stop looking now (until next year).

I also brought home a stack of new Remo and Evans heads (mostly bass drum heads) which were all $10 each from Skins and Tins, Terry was shedding inventory from his former store. Hard to pass that deal up. I ended up with 15 heads.

Attendance seemed light to me, better than last year but not as much as years past. There was no line waiting to get in in the morning and the aisles weren't overly crowded at any point in the day. I was there right at 10 and pretty well done by noon, but stayed until 4. No reason to go back tomorrow. I'd just spend more money. There was a pair of blue sparkle concert toms that were tempting me all day. A 15 & a 16. 6 plys with B/O badges with regular classic mounts on an Atlas stand. The wrap was rough, particularly along the seams which were both lifting and missing chunks (maybe they need some rivets ;) ) but the price was right and they sounded cool. I thought about how they might work with my Blue Sparkle Super classics. I came very close to making an offer on them until the Leedy popped up and burned the money. I mean, yeah, they might still be there tomorrow....and it's only a 90 minute drive.....NO, nope, not gonna do it.
I always confuse @JDA with someone else so equally soft spoken. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any updates on WFLIII booth? I see his website is down for redesign and some folks posted on DFO recently about a refinancing thing? Hope B3 is still making a go. Good guy and I root for him

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any updates on WFLIII booth? I see his website is down for redesign and some folks posted on DFO recently about a refinancing thing? Hope B3 is still making a go. Good guy and I root for him
B3 had a hefty presence there with a big booth and lots of drums in the center area between the two main rooms. First thing you saw when you entered the hall and you had to pass by whenever going from room to room.

Looked to me like business must be good and he's in it for the long haul.

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
JDZ here. That transaction was just too surreal. KO shows me the 1/3 Rogers and 2/3 Ludwig stand. I told him to look around and you may be lucky to find a Rogers top section. Ten min later he shows me the 2/3 Rogers, 1/3 Lugwig stand and we had to swap the sections right there. What are the chances?
Dave

My goodness. My brain is still frozen up from the weekend. I had trouble with replying to the post. I'd better lay down...before I have to cut the darn grass that didn't take a break from growing while I was at the show.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave

My goodness. My brain is still frozen up from the weekend. I had trouble with replying to the post. I'd better lay down...before I have to cut the darn grass that didn't take a break from growing while I was at the show.

My apologies Dave for mixing up your DFO moniker in my post. You have to admit though, JDA & JDZ are kinda close.

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
Did anybody grab on of Paul’s cymbals while at the show?!

Would love to see, hear some of them :)

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Les DeMerle at The Chicago Show

IMG_4941.jpeg
IMG_4945.jpeg
IMG_4947.jpeg

Last edited:

KingLudwig

Reaction score
B3 had a hefty presence there with a big booth and lots of drums in the center area between the two main rooms. First thing you saw when you entered the hall and you had to pass by whenever going from room to room.

I bought the 1st snare drum of the show from B3!!!

Jolo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a great shot! I hate that I missed getting in it with you all. My booth was crazy on Saturday and really Sunday too. But I appreciate many of you coming by my cymbal booth and saying hello!

Mike
Yes, your booth was crazy. I slipped over a few times to try to chat but but cymbals were flying out, left and right.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Yes, your booth was crazy. I slipped over a few times to try to chat but but cymbals were flying out, left and right.
Aww man. I hate that. Would have been great to chat a bit. Yes, it was crazy in there at some points. Next year!!

Mike

Fess

Reaction score

Oddly, his website is back up but it’s the same one that was there before he took it down. Not updated and there is no way to buy or order drums on it. I wonder what is going on