Chick Corea has passed away

Reaction score
It's really amazing how much a guy more known for playing the piano than the drums influenced so many drummers.
4 pages in less that 24 hours - on a DRUM forum. :salute:
Yes it is amazing. Chick was a GREAT friend to drummers and the drum world in general. Off the top of my head, the drummers (and percussionists) that he recorded with and-or hired (in no specific order,) and many of which he hired when they were very young and coming up through the ranks:

Al Foster, Mickey Roker, Jack DeJohnette, Barry Altschul, Roy Haynes, Joe Chambers, Mongo Santamaria, Willie Bobo, Elvin Jones, Mel Lewis, Tony Williams, Grady Tate, Horacee Arnold, Airto, Steve Gadd, Tom Brechtlein, Lawrence Marable, Peter Erskine, Jimmy Cobb, Bobby Thomas, Bruno Carr, Micheline Pelter, Andrew Cyrille, Stu Martin, Billy Higgins, Pete LaRoca, Harvey Mason, Don Alias, Gerry Brown, John Betsch, Lenny White, Dave Weckl, Gary Novak, Adam Cruz, Jeff Ballard, Carl Allen, Vinnie Colaiuta, Rubem Dantas, Armando Peraza, Marcus Gilmore, Antonio Sanchez, Richie Barshay, Paul Motian, Brian Blade...

And I'm sure that I missed a few. That's quite a fraternity of great drummers, and great drumming. Not to mention that he was pretty good drummer himself. Many different wonderful drummers were always giving him gear, he was a great friend to the drumming community. Whenever I was around him, we always talk about drumming and drummers (and I'm not the only one.)

MSG

Last edited:

E.L.

Reaction score
This hits deep:
OK how do start this one.. how can I make this one positive, I can’t really.
If I ever felt a pain like this I don’t remember This is Too much ARMANDO.. Coño.. I can deal with Covid with the array of weirdness we are living BUT YOU LEAVING.. COÑOOOOO.. this is a hard one to process Armandito .
Everyone knew what A Genius you were, and yes you are living a Volume of work for the Ages.. BUT the Human Armando, the loving, the caring the supporting the inspiring The Friend The Father the curious the eternal Child Yes That’s you... COÑO Armando ..that one is the one I have with me right now.
You were not a Star my friend You were a PLANET, A UNIVERSE A CONSTELLATION, YOU WERE NOT A MUSICIAN YOUUUUU WERE MUSIC ITSELF.. I can go on and onnn but I know you would not want to see me like this... SO I LEAVE YOU LIKE THIS... I LOVE YOU, I ADORE YOU and I Thank The heavens for letting me be close to you for all the years we shared Together. QUE DIOS TE TENGA EN SU GLORIA ARMANDO ANTONIO COREA SACONI

http://instagr.am/p/CLMu1kYgJrP/

Scott K Fish

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the 1970s, I've listened to Chick Corea in many musical settings. Sometimes I truly enjoyed his music. Other times, not. Mr. Corea never hit me in the same way as Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans, or many other keyboard plays. And I kept listening. -- I thought Chick's recent book, and his recent online school were well done with a great, generous spirit.

So we didn't always connect musically? So what? I'm glad Chick Corea passed this way when I was around. Beyond his superb musicianship he seemed a real gentleman.

Best,
skf

ocgvictoria

Reaction score
Yes it is amazing. Chick was a GREAT friend to drummers and the drum world in general. Off the top of my head, the drummers (and percussionists) that he recorded with and-or hired (in no specific order,) and many of which he hired when they were very young and coming up through the ranks:

Al Foster, Mickey Roker, Jack DeJohnette, Barry Altschul, Roy Haynes, Joe Chambers, Mongo Santamaria, Willie Bobo, Elvin Jones, Mel Lewis, Tony Williams, Grady Tate, Horacee Arnold, Airto, Steve Gadd, Tom Brechtlein, Lawrence Marable, Peter Erskine, Jimmy Cobb, Bobby Thomas, Bruno Carr, Micheline Pelter, Andrew Cyrille, Stu Martin, Pete LaRoca, Harvey Mason, Don Alias, Gerry Brown, John Betsch, Lenny White, Dave Weckl, Gary Novak, Adam Cruz, Jeff Ballard, Carl Allen, Vinnie Colaiuta, Rubem Dantas, Armando Peraza, Marcus Gilmore, Antonio Sanchez, Richie Barshay, Paul Motian, Brian Blade...

And I'm sure that I missed a few. That's quite a fraternity of great drummers, and great drumming. Not to mention that he was pretty good drummer himself. Many different wonderful drummers were always giving him gear, he was a great friend to the drumming community. Whenever I was around him, we always talk about drumming and drummers (and I'm not the only one.)

MSG
So true! I would buy Chick Corea albums to hear the drummers!

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
the past 2 days I've been watching Chick Corea @ Blue Note Tokyo 1992 with Patittuci & Vinnie...simply amazing...how Vinnie can create THAT FAST in the moment is ridiculous.
all of them really...their level is super human.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have so little to add to everything that's been said here already, but I do know that our loss is heaven's gain. Many a great musician that has gone before Chick will welcome him and love having him there to add to the heavenly music they have been putting out for so many years. The music doesn't end!

May be RIP for all the great music he has given us and for being a good, caring human being. We will see and hear him again...

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
RIP Chick!

Had the pleasure of seeing RTF twice, 35 years apart and his Elektric Band once, in a parking lot/street gig.
It is ironic that such a fantastic musician played mainly to small crowds. I often wonder how some of the 70's rock bands would have reacted if RTF opened for them and they had to follow them.

nuthinmuffin

Reaction score
helped deliver a Yamaha baby grand for Chick at NJ college venue for a Return To Forever concert in the 70's...he invited us to stay and we had a chance to talk to Chick, Lenny, Stanley and Al, who had just joined the band at !8. saw him again in the first rendition of the Elektric Band in the 80's, and then later in Clearwater, FL with the Elektric Band reunion quintet. Dave Weckl's playing on the first CD inspired me so much i wound up studying with Gary Chester for 18 months in 84-85

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love going back and listening to Chick's early work as a sideman. One of my favorites is Bobby Hutcherson's Total Eclipse. Totally fresh and wide open.
Same thing goes for early Stanley Clarke sideman dates when he was a working upright bassist in Philly - some sessions on Muse etc.
And, same thing for Lenny White, such as Woody Shaw's Blackstone Legacy.